Challenge question on equilateral triangle: Prove ∠DBA=42°

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a point D is inside an equilateral triangle ABC and angles BAD and BCD are given. The goal is to prove that angle DBA is 42 degrees. One person managed to solve it using complicated calculations, but believes there is a simpler solution using sine and cosine theorems. Another person suggests creating a right triangle CFB and extending CD to F, then extending BD to G, but is unsure how to finish the proof.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
In an equilateral triangle $ABC$, let $D$ be a point inside the triangle such that $\angle BAD=54^\circ$ and $\angle BCD=48^\circ$. Prove that $\angle DBA=42^\circ$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I managed to get the answer using some complicated calculation – but given that the solution is a nice-looking answer, it’s likely much of the complicated calculation is unnecessary. I’m sure there is a less complicated solution than mine. (Wondering)

Since the problem involves only angles, the actual size of the equilateral triangle is immaterial; for convenience, let us take it to have side length $2$.

Let A, B, C, D have co-ordinates $(0,0)$, $(2,0)$, $(1,\sqrt3)$, $(a,b)$ respectively. Then we immediately have
$$b\ =\ a\tan54^\circ.$$
Let M be the midpoint of AB and N be the foot of the perpendicular from D to CM. Then we have $|\mathrm{DN}|=1-a$, $|\mathrm{CN}|=\sqrt3-b$, and $\angle\mathrm{DCN}=\angle\mathrm{DCB}-\angle\mathrm{NCB}=18^\circ$ and so
$$\tan18^\circ\ =\ \frac{1-a}{\sqrt3-b}\ =\ \frac{1-a}{\sqrt3-a\tan54^\circ}$$
$\displaystyle\implies\ a\ =\ \frac{1-\sqrt3\tan18^\circ}{1-\tan18^\circ\tan54^\circ}.$

Finally, the positive value of the slope of the line segment DB, which is $\tan\angle\mathrm{DBA}$, is
$$\frac b{2-a}\ =\ \frac{a\tan54^\circ}{2-a}$$
and substituting for $a$ should give this value as the tangent of 42° (calculator possibly needed). (Thinking)

Last edited:
I think I’ve got it!

I showed that in my post above that
$$a\ =\ \frac{1-\sqrt3\tan18^\circ}{1-\tan18^\circ\tan54^\circ}.$$
But
$$\tan54^\circ\ =\ \frac1{\tan36^\circ}\ =\ \frac{1-\tan^218^\circ}{2\tan18^\circ}$$
$\implies\ \tan18^\circ\tan54^\circ\ =\ \dfrac{1-\tan^218^\circ}2$

$\implies\ 1-\tan18^\circ\tan54^\circ\ =\ \dfrac{1+\tan^218^\circ}2$

$\implies\ a\ =\ \dfrac{2(1-\sqrt3\tan18^\circ)}{1+\tan^218^\circ}$

$\implies\ 2-a\ =\ 2-\dfrac{2(1-\sqrt3\tan18^\circ)}{1+\tan^218^\circ}\ =\ \dfrac{2\tan18^\circ(\sqrt3+\tan18^\circ)}{1+\tan^218^\circ}.$

$\implies\ \dfrac a{2-a}\ =\ \dfrac{(1-\sqrt3\tan18^\circ)}{\sqrt3+\tan18^\circ}\cdot\dfrac1{\tan18^\circ}$.

Also
$$\tan{78^\circ}\ =\ \tan(60+18)^\circ\ =\ \frac{\sqrt3+\tan18^\circ}{1-\sqrt3\tan18^\circ}$$
and the quantity $\dfrac b{2-a}$ in my post above is supposed to be $\tan42^\circ$. So my entire solution reduces to proving the following:
$$\boxed{\tan42^\circ\ =\ \frac{\tan54^\circ}{\tan78^\circ\cdot\tan18^\circ}}.$$

It’s quite simple, really: just show that
$$\tan x^\circ\tan(60+x)^\circ\tan(60-x)^\circ\ =\ \tan(3x)^\circ.$$
Proof:
$$\begin{array}{rcl}\tan x^\circ\tan(60+x)^\circ\tan(60-x)^\circ &=& \tan x^\circ\cdot\dfrac{\sqrt3+\tan x^\circ}{1-\sqrt3\tan x^\circ}\cdot\dfrac{\sqrt3-\tan x^\circ}{1+\sqrt3\tan x^\circ} \\\\ {} &=& \dfrac{3\tan x^\circ-\tan^3x^\circ}{1-3\tan^2x^\circ} \\\\ {} &=& \tan(3x)^\circ.\end{array}$$
Now put $x=12$:
$$\tan12^\circ\tan72^\circ\tan48^\circ\ =\ \tan36^\circ.$$
Now use the fact that $\tan(90-\theta)^\circ=\dfrac1{\tan\theta^\circ}$:
$$\frac1{\tan78^\circ\tan18^\circ\tan42^\circ} =\ \frac1{\tan54^\circ}$$
$\implies\ \tan42^\circ\ =\ \dfrac{\tan54^\circ}{\tan78^\circ\cdot\tan18^\circ}$

– QED! (Clapping)

Olinguito said:
I think I’ve got it!

I showed that in my post above that
$$a\ =\ \frac{1-\sqrt3\tan18^\circ}{1-\tan18^\circ\tan54^\circ}.$$
But
$$\tan54^\circ\ =\ \frac1{\tan36^\circ}\ =\ \frac{1-\tan^218^\circ}{2\tan18^\circ}$$
$\implies\ \tan18^\circ\tan54^\circ\ =\ \dfrac{1-\tan^218^\circ}2$

$\implies\ 1-\tan18^\circ\tan54^\circ\ =\ \dfrac{1+\tan^218^\circ}2$

$\implies\ a\ =\ \dfrac{2(1-\sqrt3\tan18^\circ)}{1+\tan^218^\circ}$

$\implies\ 2-a\ =\ 2-\dfrac{2(1-\sqrt3\tan18^\circ)}{1+\tan^218^\circ}\ =\ \dfrac{2\tan18^\circ(\sqrt3+\tan18^\circ)}{1+\tan^218^\circ}.$

$\implies\ \dfrac a{2-a}\ =\ \dfrac{(1-\sqrt3\tan18^\circ)}{\sqrt3+\tan18^\circ}\cdot\dfrac1{\tan18^\circ}$.

Also
$$\tan{78^\circ}\ =\ \tan(60+18)^\circ\ =\ \frac{\sqrt3+\tan18^\circ}{1-\sqrt3\tan18^\circ}$$
and the quantity $\dfrac b{2-a}$ in my post above is supposed to be $\tan42^\circ$. So my entire solution reduces to proving the following:
$$\boxed{\tan42^\circ\ =\ \frac{\tan54^\circ}{\tan78^\circ\cdot\tan18^\circ}}.$$

It’s quite simple, really: just show that
$$\tan x^\circ\tan(60+x)^\circ\tan(60-x)^\circ\ =\ \tan(3x)^\circ.$$
Proof:
$$\begin{array}{rcl}\tan x^\circ\tan(60+x)^\circ\tan(60-x)^\circ &=& \tan x^\circ\cdot\dfrac{\sqrt3+\tan x^\circ}{1-\sqrt3\tan x^\circ}\cdot\dfrac{\sqrt3-\tan x^\circ}{1+\sqrt3\tan x^\circ} \\\\ {} &=& \dfrac{3\tan x^\circ-\tan^3x^\circ}{1-3\tan^2x^\circ} \\\\ {} &=& \tan(3x)^\circ.\end{array}$$
Now put $x=12$:
$$\tan12^\circ\tan72^\circ\tan48^\circ\ =\ \tan36^\circ.$$
Now use the fact that $\tan(90-\theta)^\circ=\dfrac1{\tan\theta^\circ}$:
$$\frac1{\tan78^\circ\tan18^\circ\tan42^\circ} =\ \frac1{\tan54^\circ}$$
$\implies\ \tan42^\circ\ =\ \dfrac{\tan54^\circ}{\tan78^\circ\cdot\tan18^\circ}$

– QED! (Clapping)

Hello,

It can be proved using sine and cosine theorem in a very short period of time and without unnecessary work.

Last edited:
Dhamnekar Winod said:
Hello,

It can be proved using sine and cosine theorem in a very short period of time and without unnecessary work.

Hi Dhamnekar Winod, can you enlighten us with your quick and neat solution?(Wondering)

I've been trying this with NO trigonometry.
Code:
                       F             A

E

D     C                 B
CD is extended to F (E is on AB) creating right triangle CFB.
Since angleBCF=48, then angleBFC=42.

I then extended BD to G (not shown in my poor diagram!),
such that angleGAB = 90.

Now if it could be shown that triangleABG is similar to triangleCFB,
then angleABD = 42.

But can't wrap this up...any ideas you guys?

1. What is an equilateral triangle?

An equilateral triangle is a type of triangle where all three sides are equal in length and all three angles are also equal. This means that each angle in an equilateral triangle measures 60 degrees.

2. How do you prove that ∠DBA=42° in an equilateral triangle?

In order to prove that ∠DBA=42° in an equilateral triangle, we can use the fact that the sum of the angles in any triangle is 180 degrees. Since we know that an equilateral triangle has three equal angles, we can divide 180 degrees by 3 to get 60 degrees. Then, we can use the fact that the angles in a straight line add up to 180 degrees to find that ∠DBA must be 60 degrees - 18 degrees = 42 degrees.

3. Can you use the Pythagorean Theorem to prove ∠DBA=42°?

No, the Pythagorean Theorem is used to find the length of the sides of a right triangle, not the angles. In an equilateral triangle, all three angles are equal and therefore the Pythagorean Theorem is not applicable.

4. What other methods can be used to prove ∠DBA=42° in an equilateral triangle?

Other methods that can be used to prove ∠DBA=42° in an equilateral triangle include using the properties of congruent triangles, the Law of Sines, or the Law of Cosines. However, using the fact that the sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees is the most straightforward and efficient method.

5. Is it possible for ∠DBA to be any other measure than 42° in an equilateral triangle?

No, in an equilateral triangle, all three angles are equal and therefore must measure 60 degrees each. This means that ∠DBA can only measure 60 degrees, and since we have proven that it is 18 degrees less than that, it must be 60 degrees - 18 degrees = 42 degrees.