Chain rule: y = f(t, t^2, t^3) and y = g(t, h(t), k(t^2))

In summary: It should be something like du/dt^2 or du/dt^3. So what is the chain rule saying for each term in your answer?In summary, the process to calculate dy/dt when y has implicit intermediate variables involves using the chain rule and finding the derivatives of the intermediate variables with respect to t. Then, these derivatives are multiplied by the partial derivatives of y with respect to the intermediate variables. The resulting values are then added together to find the final value of dy/dt.

Homework Statement

I am confused because for each problem there is no equation and for one no intermediate variables.

Compute dy/dt when

a) y = f(t, t^2, t^3)
b) y = g(t, h(t), k(t^2))

Homework Equations

a) y = f(t, t^2, t^3)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
З1.jpg

dy/dt = ∂f/∂t * ∂f/∂t^2 * ∂f/∂t^3

2)
з2.jpg

dy/dt = ∂f/∂t + (∂g/∂h * dh/dt) + (∂g/∂k * dk/dt^2)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
939 said:

Homework Statement

I am confused because for each problem there is no equation and for one no intermediate variables.

Compute dy/dt when

a) y = f(t, t^2, t^3)

Homework Equations

a) y = f(t, t^2, t^3)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
View attachment 68161
dy/dt = ∂f/∂t * ∂f/∂t^2 * ∂f/∂t^3

2)View attachment 68162

dy/dt = ∂f/∂t + (∂g/∂h * dh/dt) + (∂g/∂k * dk/dt^2)

There are intermediate variables, they are just implied so you don't see them. For a) think of ##u = t,~v = t^2,~w=t^3## and ##y = f(u,v,w)##. Now do you see how to calculate ##\frac{dy}{dt}## using the chain rule?

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
There are intermediate variables, they are just implied so you don't see them. For a) think of ##u = t,~v = t^2,~w=t^3## and ##y = f(u,v,w)##. Now do you see how to calculate ##\frac{dy}{dt}## using the chain rule?

Does this work?
Без імені.jpg

dy/dt = (∂y/∂u * du/dt) + (∂y/∂v * du/dt^2) + (∂y/∂w * dw/dt^3)

LCKurtz said:

939 said:
Does this work?

Look up that chain rule in your calculus book. Is that what it says?

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
Look up that chain rule in your calculus book. Is that what it says?

Sorry... If it was i.e. y = (x, y), x = (t), y = (t^2) I would get it and there my book says you do the same steps as I listed above.

I'm just not sure here... y = f(t, t^2, t^3). Thus, y = dependent. t, t^2, t^3 are independent. Intermediate variables must connect the two... If that is not it, maybe just find derivatives f t, t^2 and t^3 in the equation?

939 said:
Sorry... If it was i.e. y = (x, y), x = (t), y = (t^2) I would get it and there my book says you do the same steps as I listed above.

I'm just not sure here... y = f(t, t^2, t^3). Thus, y = dependent. t, t^2, t^3 are independent. Intermediate variables must connect the two... If that is not it, maybe just find derivatives f t, t^2 and t^3 in the equation?
Yes. Using LCKurtz's suggestion these would be du/dt, dv/dt, and dw/dt.

939 said:
Does this work?
View attachment 68164

939 said:

You likely calculated them correctly but I was pointing out your notation was bad. Those two red factors should be dv/dt and dw/dt. The u was probably a typo but you shouldn't have t^2 and t^3 in the formulas.

Related to Chain rule: y = f(t, t^2, t^3) and y = g(t, h(t), k(t^2))

1. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a fundamental rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a function that is composed of two or more functions. It states that the derivative of the composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do you apply the chain rule?

To apply the chain rule, you need to identify the outer function and the inner function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. Keep in mind that the derivative of the inner function may also require the use of the chain rule.

3. What is the chain rule for a function with multiple variables?

For a function with multiple variables, the chain rule is applied by taking the partial derivative of the function with respect to each variable and then multiplying them together.

4. How do you use the chain rule with functions involving trigonometric or exponential functions?

In cases where the function involves trigonometric or exponential functions, the chain rule is applied by using the corresponding derivative rules for those functions. For example, if the function involves sine, you would use the derivative rule for sine when taking the derivative of the inner function.

5. Can the chain rule be used for functions with more than two variables?

Yes, the chain rule can be used for functions with any number of variables. The process is the same, where you take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivatives of the inner functions with respect to each variable.