Chain Rule Help: Solving (g o f)'(4) with f'(8)=5, g'(8)=3, f(4)=8, and g(4)=10

From there, rearrange the equation and you should be able to solve for f'(a). Since a was defined above, you should be able to replace it with an equivalent in terms of x.
ussjt
f '(8)=5 g '(8)=3 f(4)=8 g(4)=10 g(4)=10 g(8)=2 f(8)=5

find (g o f)'(4)

how do I go about setting up these types of problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried; where are you getting stuck?

have not tried because I don't know how to set up the problem...I don't really care about the answer I just want to know how you go about setting up these kinds of problems because I have a quiz tomorrow.

I figure the first step is g(f(x))

so g'(f(x))*f'(x)
g'(8)*f'(x)
3*f'(x)

Last edited:
(g o f)'(4)
= g'(f(4))*f'(4) by chain rule
= g'(8)*f'(4) since f(4) = 8
= 3*f'(4) since g'(8) = 3

And that's all you can do, since they don't tell you what f'(4) is. I suspect they do, and you just copied out the question wrong. Also, why have you given "g(4) = 10" twice?

Anyways, the way to setting up the problem is this:

Given a problem, "find X", write:

X
= A (by some theorem, or given fact, or logical inference)
= B (again, give justification)
= C (justification)
= D (justification)

until you get some answer D that you think the teacher will like, like an actual numeral. In this case, your X is (f o g)'(4), and your C is something like 3f'(4). You want a numeral for your D, but you can't get it yet from C because they haven't given you enough information (or you copied the question wrong).

what about this type of problem:

For a given functionhttps://webwork2.math.ohio-state.edu/courses/math151wi06sm/tmp/png/Hmwk5/696680/kopko.4-prob5image1.png consider[/URL] the composite function https://webwork2.math.ohio-state.edu/courses/math151wi06sm/tmp/png/Hmwk5/696680/kopko.4-prob5image2.png Suppose we know that https://webwork2.math.ohio-state.edu/courses/math151wi06sm/tmp/png/Hmwk5/696680/kopko.4-prob5image3.png

Calculate f ' (x)

How do I go about setting up this type of problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
ussjt said:
what about this type of problem:

For a given functionhttps://webwork2.math.ohio-state.edu/courses/math151wi06sm/tmp/png/Hmwk5/696680/kopko.4-prob5image1.png consider[/URL] the composite function https://webwork2.math.ohio-state.edu/courses/math151wi06sm/tmp/png/Hmwk5/696680/kopko.4-prob5image2.png Suppose we know that https://webwork2.math.ohio-state.edu/courses/math151wi06sm/tmp/png/Hmwk5/696680/kopko.4-prob5image3.png

Calculate f ' (x)

How do I go about setting up this type of problem?

You titled this thread "chain rule"! It ought to occur to you to use the chain rule!
If h(x)= f(2x3) then h'(x)= f '(2x3)(6x2).

You are given that h'(x)= 7x5.

You can easily solve f '(2x3)(6x2)= 7x5 for f '(2x3).

Now let y= 2x3. What is f(y)?

Last edited by a moderator:
the way our TA showed up, the answer ought to be:

(7x^3/6)*(y/2)^(1/3)...but my answer must be in terms of x...so could someone please tell me if I went wrong somewhere or how to make it all in terms of x (by x I mean I can't have that "y"). Here are my steps:

f '(2x^3)(6x^2)= 7x^5

f '(2x^3)= (7x^5)/(6x^2)

f '(2x^3)= (7x^3)/6
~~~~~~~~~~~~
2x^3=y

x^3= y/2

x= (y/2)^(1/3)
~~~~~~~~~~

answer: (7x^3/6)*(y/2)^(1/3)

ussjt said:
Here are my steps:

f '(2x^3)(6x^2)= 7x^5

f '(2x^3)= (7x^5)/(6x^2)

f '(2x^3)= (7x^3)/6
~~~~~~~~~~~~
2x^3=y

x^3= y/2
It's fine up to here.
Now sub what you get in the expression:
f '(2x3)= (7x3)/6, we have:
f'(y) = 7y / 12.
So what's f'(x)?
Can you go from here?

VietDao29 said:
It's fine up to here.
Now sub what you get in the expression:
f '(2x3)= (7x3)/6, we have:
f'(y) = 7y / 12.
So what's f'(x)?
Can you go from here?
where did the f'(y) come from?

ussjt said:
where did the f'(y) come from?

In VietDao's post y is a place holder for [itex]2x^3[/itex]

I don't know if this will make things any clearer for you:

The problem gives you
[tex]h(x)=f(z(x))[/tex]
So, let's say we have some [itex]a[/itex] so that [itex]x=z^{-1}(a)[/itex] (provided that [itex]z^{-1}[/itex] actually exists). Then we can substitute that in
[tex]h(z^{-1}(a))=f(z(z^{-1}(a))[/tex]
then simplify
[tex]h(z^{-1}(a))=f(a)[/tex]
Now, we can take the derivative of both sides w.r.t. a
[tex]h'(z^{-1}(a)) \times \left(z^{-1}\right)' (a) = f'(a)[/tex]

Now, since [itex]h'[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex] are both known, you should be able to work out what the left hand side of the equation is equal to.

Related to Chain Rule Help: Solving (g o f)'(4) with f'(8)=5, g'(8)=3, f(4)=8, and g(4)=10

1. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function, which is a function that is made up of two or more functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do you apply the chain rule to find (g o f)'(4)?

To apply the chain rule, we first need to find the derivatives of the individual functions, f and g. Then, we can plug in the given values for f'(8) and g'(8) and substitute f(4) and g(4) into the composite function (g o f)(x). Finally, we can use the chain rule formula to find the derivative of the composite function at x=4.

3. What does (g o f)'(4) represent in this problem?

(g o f)'(4) represents the derivative of the composite function (g o f) at x=4. Essentially, it tells us the rate of change of the composite function at that point, which is the result of combining the two individual functions, f and g.

4. Can you explain how to find the derivative of a composite function using the chain rule?

To find the derivative of a composite function, we first find the derivatives of the individual functions involved. Then, we plug in the given values for those derivatives and the inputs of the composite function. Finally, we use the chain rule formula to calculate the derivative of the composite function at the given input.

5. How does the given information help us solve for (g o f)'(4)?

The given information, f'(8)=5, g'(8)=3, f(4)=8, and g(4)=10, provides us with all the necessary information to apply the chain rule formula and find the derivative of the composite function at x=4. By plugging in these values and using the chain rule, we can solve for (g o f)'(4) and determine the rate of change of the composite function at that point.