Chain Rule and Multivariable Calculus Question

In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of finding a solution to a problem involving equations (1) and (2) and taking the derivative to obtain equations (3)-(5). The questions posed involve the legality of cancelling out partial fractions and grouping like terms to obtain two separate equations. The response clarifies that the process is not taking the derivative but calculating the differential of the maps v and u, and that the grouping is allowed but caution must be taken with partial fractions. The summary also mentions the use of local frames and equating
Stalker_VT
I think i found the solution to my problem but i was hoping to have someone check to make sure i did not make a mistake.

[itex]\xi[/itex] = x - ct...... (1)

u(t,x) = v(t,[itex]\xi[/itex])......(2)

Taking the derivative

d[u(t,x) = v(t,[itex]\xi[/itex])]

[itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/itex]dx = [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex] d[itex]\xi[/itex].....(3)

[itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/itex]dx = [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex][ [itex]\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial x}[/itex]dx + [itex]\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial t}[/itex]dt]......(4)

[itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/itex]dx = [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex] [itex]\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial x}[/itex]dx + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial t}[/itex]dt.....(5)

Question 1
Is it legal to cancel out partial fractions as such

[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex] [itex]\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial x}[/itex]dx + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial t}[/itex]dt = [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/itex]dx + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex] dt

Question 2
Is it legal to group like terms to get two separate equations as such:

Using (1) to get [itex]\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial x}[/itex] = 1 and [itex]\frac{\partial \xi}{\partial t}[/itex] = -c we obtain

[itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/itex]dx = [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial\xi}[/itex]dx - c[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex] dt

simplifying slightly

[itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/itex]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/itex]dx = [[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex] - c[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex]]dt + [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial\xi}[/itex]dx

From this can we conclude the following:

A) [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex] - c[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial \xi}[/itex]

B) [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial\xi}[/itex]

by matching parameters in front of dt and dx?

Thank you for any insight

Physics news on Phys.org
I seems like what you're doing is not taking the derivative but calculating the differential of the maps v and u.
In that case if you have coordinates (t,x) and (t,ξ) which are both valid coordinates for the plane. than since u(t,x)=v(t,ξ) all that has happened there is dat you´ve changed coordinates to get from a map u to a map v.

then most of the things you did are correct the grouping i scertainly allowed. since you're basically writing everything in two local frames and equating coefficients.

but bear in mind that ∂/∂ξ = ∂x/∂ξ*∂/∂x + ∂t/∂ξ*∂/∂t

Related to Chain Rule and Multivariable Calculus Question

1. What is the chain rule in multivariable calculus?

The chain rule in multivariable calculus is a formula used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivative of the outer function and the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do you use the chain rule to find partial derivatives?

To use the chain rule to find partial derivatives, you first take the derivative of the outer function with respect to the variable you are differentiating with respect to. Then, you multiply it by the partial derivative of the inner function with respect to the same variable. This process is repeated for each variable in the function.

3. Can the chain rule be applied to functions with more than two variables?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to functions with any number of variables. The process is the same as for functions with two variables, but you will need to take the partial derivative with respect to each variable in the function.

4. When should I use the chain rule in multivariable calculus?

The chain rule should be used when you have a composite function, meaning a function within a function. It is also useful when finding partial derivatives of multivariable functions.

5. What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule?

One common mistake when using the chain rule is forgetting to take the derivative of the outer function. Another mistake is incorrectly applying the chain rule when dealing with functions with more than two variables. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the chain rule to avoid these mistakes.