Chain relation/ triple partial derivative rule

In summary, the van der Waals equation of state confirms the following property: (∂P/∂T)V (∂T/∂V)P (∂V/∂P)T = -1.
Syrus

Homework Statement

For the van der Waals equation of state, confirm the following property:

(∂P/∂T)V (∂T/∂V)P (∂V/∂P)T = -1

Homework Equations

The van der Waals equation of state is:

P = nRT/(v-nb) - an2/V2

*R, n, a, b are const.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have come up with some partial derivatives, however, I cannot seem to figure out the algebra to make their product equal to -1. Perhaps my derivatives are incorrect?

(∂P/∂T)V = nR/(v-nb)-1

(∂T/∂V)P = P - an2/V2 + 2abn3/V3

(∂V/∂P)T = 1/ (2an2/V3 - nRT/(v-nb)2)

Any hints or ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe there is formula that is (∂X/∂Y) =-(F[itex]_{Y}[/itex]/F[itex]_{X}[/itex])

Can you explain what the right side of the equality represents?

I am not entirely sure it was just an equation in my book, I will leave it for some one else to answer because I do not want to tell you wrong

Anyone else?

Syrus said:

Homework Equations

The van der Waals equation of state is:

P = nRT/(V-nb) - an2/V2

*R, n, a, b are const.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have come up with some partial derivatives, however, I cannot seem to figure out the algebra to make their product equal to -1. Perhaps my derivatives are incorrect?

(∂P/∂T)V = nR/(v-nb)-1
Should be (∂P/∂T)V = nR/(V-nb) or (∂P/∂T)V = nR(V-nb)-1

(∂T/∂V)P = P - an2/V2 + 2abn3/V3

(∂V/∂P)T = 1/ (2an2/V3 - nRT/(v-nb)2)

Any hints or ideas?
Show how you arrived at the last two partial derivatives. (I suggest using implicit differentiation.)

Well, i think i figured it out. I used the reciprocal identity:

(dx/dy)z = 1/ (dy/dx)z (should be partial derivatives here)

to make the triple partial derivative product a double partial derivative product, and then showed it to be equal to the resulting partial derivative on the other side of the equality (which occurs when you divide -1 by one of the terms originally on the left). It worked well =)

Sorry for the hijack but i have a similar question:

for a recent semester test we needed to show:
[itex]\frac{\partial{P}}{\partial{V}} \frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{T}} \frac{\partial{T}}{\partial{P}} = -1[/itex]

i simply converted each partial into its implicit version and canceled terms:

[itex]\frac{\partial{P}}{\partial{V}} = \frac{-F_V}{F_P}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{T}} = \frac{-F_T}{F_V}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial{T}}{\partial{P}} = \frac{-F_P}{F_T}[/itex]

resulting in

[itex]\frac{-F_V}{F_P} \frac{-F_T}{F_V} \frac{-F_P}{F_T} = -1[/itex]

yet this was marked very clearly wrong...

Why?

Related to Chain relation/ triple partial derivative rule

1. What is the chain rule for triple partial derivatives?

The chain rule for triple partial derivatives is a rule used in multivariable calculus to find the derivative of a function that is composed of multiple functions. It is used when the independent variables of the function are dependent on each other.

2. How do you apply the chain rule for triple partial derivatives?

To apply the chain rule for triple partial derivatives, you need to first identify the inner and outer functions. Then, take the partial derivative of the outer function with respect to one of the independent variables, and multiply it by the partial derivative of the inner function with respect to the same variable. Repeat this process for each independent variable and then add all the products together to get the final result.

3. What is the importance of the chain rule for triple partial derivatives?

The chain rule for triple partial derivatives is important because it allows us to find the derivatives of complex functions that are composed of multiple functions. Without it, we would not be able to calculate the derivatives of many real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can the chain rule for triple partial derivatives be used for functions with more than three variables?

Yes, the chain rule for triple partial derivatives can be extended to functions with any number of variables. It is known as the chain rule for partial derivatives and is used to find the derivatives of functions with multiple independent variables that are dependent on each other.

5. Are there any limitations to using the chain rule for triple partial derivatives?

One limitation of the chain rule for triple partial derivatives is that it can only be applied to functions where the independent variables are dependent on each other. It cannot be used for functions with independent variables that are completely unrelated to each other. Additionally, it can be a complex and time-consuming process, especially for functions with a large number of variables.