CFD Analysis of Pressure Distribution Around Large Fan

In summary, The conversation is about using Solidworks to model the pressure distribution of air around a large fan. The speaker wants to know the effect of adding a duct around the inlet of the fan on the pressure. After modeling the air flow, Solidworks predicts that the lowest-pressure point in the duct would only be 0.4 psi below atmospheric pressure, which seems low for a fan of this size. The speaker shares some pictures of the model and results and mentions using Bernouilli's equation for a sanity check. Another person in the conversation mentions having a higher pressure difference than predicted and suggests not relying solely on Solidworks for absolute values.
TJ_Laser
I am using Solidworks to model the pressure distribution of air around a large fan. The fan is 10' in diameter and moves 94,000 CFM. I need to know the effect adding a large duct around the inlet of the fan would have on the pressure. If the duct causes a huge pressure drop then we can't use it.

The duct would completely enclose the inlet and extend 18'. After modeling the air flow Solidworks tells me the lowest-pressure point in the entire duct would be only 0.4 psi below atmospheric pressure. It seems to me that a fan of this size pulling air through 18' of duct would cause much lower pressure than that.

I have added some pictures of the model and results. Air enters through the rectangular inlet shown in the two pictures of the model. It exists through the opening, which I have modeled as a red disk. As you can see the pressure inside the duct is barely below atmospheric pressure. Intuitively it seems like it should be much lower. As a new engineer with little experience my intuitive frame of reference may not be realistic. Any thoughts?

The length units in the attached pictures are in inches.

Attachments

• model with units.jpg
    model with units.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 402
  • model.jpg
    model.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 406
  • right plane pressure.jpg
    right plane pressure.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 467
Engineering news on Phys.org

Using Bernouilli's equation (assuming the air is incompressible) will give you a sanity check on what pressure changes to expect.

We did that and found a much higher pressure difference than that predicted by Solidworks. I'll just have to go back to the model and see if I made any mistakes.

Your first mistake was to use Solidworks.

In my experience (admittedly a few years ago now) Solidworks is workable if you want to compare flow paths on, for example, different iterations of a model but if you're after an absolute value don't bother.

Related to CFD Analysis of Pressure Distribution Around Large Fan

What is CFD analysis?

CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) analysis is a numerical method used to simulate the behavior of fluids and gases, such as air, around objects by solving mathematical equations. It allows scientists and engineers to study and predict the flow patterns, pressure distributions, and other relevant parameters in a given system.

Why is it important to analyze the pressure distribution around a large fan?

The pressure distribution around a large fan can significantly affect its performance and efficiency. By analyzing the pressure distribution, scientists can identify potential areas of high pressure and turbulence, which can cause noise, vibration, and energy losses. This information can then be used to optimize the design of the fan and improve its performance.

What factors can influence the pressure distribution around a large fan?

The pressure distribution around a large fan can be influenced by various factors, including the shape and size of the fan blades, the speed and direction of the fan rotation, the surrounding environment, and the presence of other objects or obstacles nearby. These factors can impact the flow patterns and create variations in pressure distribution.

How is CFD analysis of pressure distribution around a large fan performed?

CFD analysis of pressure distribution around a large fan involves creating a digital model of the fan and its surrounding environment. The equations governing fluid flow are then solved using numerical methods, such as finite element analysis or finite volume method. The results are then visualized and analyzed to understand the pressure distribution and its effects on the fan's performance.

What are the benefits of using CFD analysis for pressure distribution around a large fan?

CFD analysis provides a detailed and accurate understanding of the pressure distribution around a large fan, which can help in optimizing its design and improving its performance. It also allows for virtual testing and analysis, saving time and resources compared to physical testing. Additionally, CFD analysis can be used to study the effects of different operating conditions and environmental factors on the pressure distribution, providing valuable insights for further improvements.