Centroid ( center of mass ) of cardioid revisited

In summary, in this conversation, the speaker is revisiting the concept of finding the centroid of a cardioid using polar versions of familiar formulas. They are attempting to find the centroid coordinates for the portion of the cardioid in the first quadrant only. The speaker calculates the mass and centroid coordinates, but when they use a program to generate a graph, the result does not seem accurate. They question the reliability of this method and ask for clarification on the formulas used.
asuka
Centroid ("center of mass") of cardioid... revisited

This is actually a variation of the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=119622".

As it happens, the cardioid I'm working with is identical to jbusc's:

[tex]r = 1 + \cos(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]\delta \equiv 1[/tex]

The task is to find the centroid of the above cardioid using the polar versions of the familiar formulas for:

Mass of the lamina: [tex]m = \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[\delta \ast r]\ drd\theta[/tex]

Centroid radial coordinate: [tex]\overline{r} = \frac{1}{m} \ast \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[r \ast \cos(\theta) \ast \delta \ast r]\ drd\theta[/tex]

Centroid angular coordinate: [tex]\overline{\theta} = \frac{1}{m} \ast \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[r \ast \sin(\theta) \ast \delta \ast r]\ drd\theta[/tex]

... but I need to find the centroid coordinates for the portion of the cardioid in the first-quadrant only.

No sweat, right? I've done problems like this--although never with restrictions on the quadrants--before in both cartesian and polar systems, how hard can it be?

So given the information above, I began by calculating the mass of the cardioid with the appropriate formula (given above):

[tex]m = \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[\delta \ast r]\ drd\theta \Rightarrow \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{1 + \cos(\theta)}[r]\ drd\theta = \frac{3\pi + 8}{8}[/tex]

[tex]\overline{r} = \frac{1}{m} \ast \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[r \ast \cos(\theta) \ast \delta \ast r]\ drd\theta \Rightarrow \frac{8}{3\pi + 8} \ast \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{1 + \cos(\theta)}[r \ast r \ast \cos(\theta)]\ drd\theta = \frac{5\pi + 16}{6\pi + 16} \approx 0.91[/tex]

[tex]\overline{\theta} = \frac{1}{m} \ast \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[r \ast \sin(\theta) \ast \delta \ast r]\ drd\theta \Rightarrow \frac{8}{3\pi + 8} \ast \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{1 + \cos(\theta)}[r \ast r \ast \sin(\theta)]\ drd\theta = \frac{10}{3\pi + 8} \approx 32.882^\circ[/tex]

So...

[tex](\overline{r}, \overline{\theta}) \Rightarrow (0.91, 32.882^\circ)[/tex]

So that's what I have so far, but when I use a program like MathCAD 2001 Professional to generate a graph, the result doesn't look like it would balance on the head of a pin. Generating the https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14369&stc=1&d=1213362232" of the cardioid is simple enough; then, I added the graph of a circle with the radius of the radial centroid coordinate [tex]\overline{r}[/tex] and used the trace option on the graph to view the intersection of a line at the proper angle--or close to it--with the circle of the proper radius and it just doesn't look like a "center of mass" to me. It looks as iff you tried to balance the lamina on the tip of needle you were holding, you simply end up with a sore foot--depending on what the lamina was made out of and how big it was.

So does this point look right to anyone? If I had the resources, I would test it with an experiment, but I don't. I know this may all be elementary, and I'm reasonably certain that my math is correct, but some of the answers I've been getting since I began with this problem have caused me to doubt my results--even when they agree with the text. For instance:

Find the centroid of the region inside the circle "[tex]r = 2 \ast \sin(\theta)[/tex]" and outside the circle [tex]r

= 1[/tex]. Use [tex]\delta \equiv y[/tex].

So, the usual calculations go something like this:

[tex]m = \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[\delta \ast r]\ drd\theta \Rightarrow \int_{\frac{\pi}{6}}^{\frac{5\pi}{6}}\int_{1}^{2 \ast \sin(\theta)}[r \ast r \ast \sin(\theta)]\ drd\theta = \frac{8\pi + 3\sqrt{3}}{12}[/tex]

[tex]\overline{r} = \frac{1}{m} \ast \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[r \ast \cos(\theta) \ast \delta \ast r]\ drd\theta \Rightarrow \frac{12}{8\pi + 3\sqrt{3}} \ast \int_{\frac{\pi}{6}}^{\frac{5\pi}{6}}\int_{1}^{2 \ast \sin(\theta)}[r \ast r \ast r \ast \sin(\theta) \ast \cos(\theta)]\ drd\theta = 0[/tex]

[tex]\overline{\theta} = \frac{1}{m} \ast \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[r \ast \cos(\theta) \ast \delta \ast r]\ drd\theta \Rightarrow \frac{12}{8\pi + 3\sqrt{3}} \ast \int_{\frac{\pi}{6}}^{\frac{5\pi}{6}}\int_{1}^{2 \ast \sin(\theta)}[r \ast r \ast r \ast \sin(\theta) \ast \sin(\theta)]\ drd\theta = \frac{36\pi + 33\sqrt{3}}{32\pi + 12\sqrt{3}} \approx 80.409^\circ[/tex]

So...

[tex](\overline{r}, \overline{\theta}) \Rightarrow (0, 80.409^\circ)[/tex]

But since our region is symmetrical about the positive y-axis, how could this angle (or even the radius) by right? Though this is precisely the answer the solution guide that accompanied my text has and the calculations confirm it, how can this be the lamina's center of mass? There's no way you could balance this lamina horizontally at this point. So now I wonder how reliable this method is.

Am I setting the first example up properly? Could my answer to the first example be correct? If so, could someone please explain the apparent flaw in the calculations/answer to the second example? I would think that the radial coordinate of the centroid for the second example would be farther "up" the positive y-axis and that the angular coordinate would be [tex]90^\circ[/tex], or at least [tex]0^\circ[/tex]. What's going on here? If everything is correct here, then how can one trust this method?

Attachments

• exam04q05-3.jpg
    exam04q05-3.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,163
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
asuka said:
This is actually a variation of the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=119622".

As it happens, the cardioid I'm working with is identical to jbusc's:

[tex]r = 1 + \cos(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]\delta \equiv 1[/tex]

The task is to find the centroid of the above cardioid using the polar versions of the familiar formulas for:

Mass of the lamina: [tex]m = \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[\delta \ast r]\ drd\theta[/tex]

Centroid radial coordinate: [tex]\overline{r} = \frac{1}{m} \ast \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[r \ast \cos(\theta) \ast \delta \ast r]\ drd\theta[/tex]

Centroid angular coordinate: [tex]\overline{\theta} = \frac{1}{m} \ast \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[r \ast \sin(\theta) \ast \delta \ast r]\ drd\theta[/tex]
?? Are you sure of these formulas? [itex]r cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]r sin(\theta)[/itex] are the x and y coordinates (respectively) of the point with polar coordinates r and [itex]\theta[/itex]. Notice that both of these formulas give the same units] as r- length units.

... but I need to find the centroid coordinates for the portion of the cardioid in the first-quadrant only.

No sweat, right? I've done problems like this--although never with restrictions on the quadrants--before in both cartesian and polar systems, how hard can it be?

So given the information above, I began by calculating the mass of the cardioid with the appropriate formula (given above):

[tex]m = \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[\delta \ast r]\ drd\theta \Rightarrow \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{1 + \cos(\theta)}[r]\ drd\theta = \frac{3\pi + 8}{8}[/tex]

[tex]\overline{r} = \frac{1}{m} \ast \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[r \ast \cos(\theta) \ast \delta \ast r]\ drd\theta \Rightarrow \frac{8}{3\pi + 8} \ast \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{1 + \cos(\theta)}[r \ast r \ast \cos(\theta)]\ drd\theta = \frac{5\pi + 16}{6\pi + 16} \approx 0.91[/tex]

[tex]\overline{\theta} = \frac{1}{m} \ast \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[r \ast \sin(\theta) \ast \delta \ast r]\ drd\theta \Rightarrow \frac{8}{3\pi + 8} \ast \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{1 + \cos(\theta)}[r \ast r \ast \sin(\theta)]\ drd\theta = \frac{10}{3\pi + 8} \approx 32.882^\circ[/tex]

So...

[tex](\overline{r}, \overline{\theta}) \Rightarrow (0.91, 32.882^\circ)[/tex]

So that's what I have so far, but when I use a program like MathCAD 2001 Professional to generate a graph, the result doesn't look like it would balance on the head of a pin. Generating the https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14369&stc=1&d=1213362232" of the cardioid is simple enough; then, I added the graph of a circle with the radius of the radial centroid coordinate [tex]\overline{r}[/tex] and used the trace option on the graph to view the intersection of a line at the proper angle--or close to it--with the circle of the proper radius and it just doesn't look like a "center of mass" to me. It looks as iff you tried to balance the lamina on the tip of needle you were holding, you simply end up with a sore foot--depending on what the lamina was made out of and how big it was.

So does this point look right to anyone? If I had the resources, I would test it with an experiment, but I don't. I know this may all be elementary, and I'm reasonably certain that my math is correct, but some of the answers I've been getting since I began with this problem have caused me to doubt my results--even when they agree with the text. For instance:

Find the centroid of the region inside the circle "[tex]r = 2 \ast \sin(\theta)[/tex]" and outside the circle [tex]r

= 1[/tex]. Use [tex]\delta \equiv y[/tex].

So, the usual calculations go something like this:

[tex]m = \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[\delta \ast r]\ drd\theta \Rightarrow \int_{\frac{\pi}{6}}^{\frac{5\pi}{6}}\int_{1}^{2 \ast \sin(\theta)}[r \ast r \ast \sin(\theta)]\ drd\theta = \frac{8\pi + 3\sqrt{3}}{12}[/tex]

[tex]\overline{r} = \frac{1}{m} \ast \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[r \ast \cos(\theta) \ast \delta \ast r]\ drd\theta \Rightarrow \frac{12}{8\pi + 3\sqrt{3}} \ast \int_{\frac{\pi}{6}}^{\frac{5\pi}{6}}\int_{1}^{2 \ast \sin(\theta)}[r \ast r \ast r \ast \sin(\theta) \ast \cos(\theta)]\ drd\theta = 0[/tex]

[tex]\overline{\theta} = \frac{1}{m} \ast \int_{}^{}\int_{R}^{}[r \ast \cos(\theta) \ast \delta \ast r]\ drd\theta \Rightarrow \frac{12}{8\pi + 3\sqrt{3}} \ast \int_{\frac{\pi}{6}}^{\frac{5\pi}{6}}\int_{1}^{2 \ast \sin(\theta)}[r \ast r \ast r \ast \sin(\theta) \ast \sin(\theta)]\ drd\theta = \frac{36\pi + 33\sqrt{3}}{32\pi + 12\sqrt{3}} \approx 80.409^\circ[/tex]

So...

[tex](\overline{r}, \overline{\theta}) \Rightarrow (0, 80.409^\circ)[/tex]

But since our region is symmetrical about the positive y-axis, how could this angle (or even the radius) by right? Though this is precisely the answer the solution guide that accompanied my text has and the calculations confirm it, how can this be the lamina's center of mass? There's no way you could balance this lamina horizontally at this point. So now I wonder how reliable this method is.

Am I setting the first example up properly? Could my answer to the first example be correct? If so, could someone please explain the apparent flaw in the calculations/answer to the second example? I would think that the radial coordinate of the centroid for the second example would be farther "up" the positive y-axis and that the angular coordinate would be [tex]90^\circ[/tex], or at least [tex]0^\circ[/tex]. What's going on here? If everything is correct here, then how can one trust this method?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Centroid ( center of mass ) of cardioid revisited

1. What is the centroid of a cardioid?

The centroid of a cardioid is the point that represents the center of mass of the shape. It is the average location of all the mass in the cardioid, and it is often referred to as the "balance point".

2. How is the centroid of a cardioid calculated?

The centroid of a cardioid can be calculated using the formula (4r/3π, 3r/8π), where r is the radius of the cardioid. This formula takes into account the distribution of mass around the shape, which is not evenly spread out like a circle.

3. How does the centroid of a cardioid relate to its shape?

The centroid of a cardioid is always located on the symmetry axis of the shape. This means that the centroid divides the shape into two equal halves, which have the same weight and balance when placed on a fulcrum at the centroid.

4. What is the significance of the centroid of a cardioid?

The centroid of a cardioid is an important concept in physics and engineering, as it helps determine the stability and balance of an object. It also plays a role in the design and analysis of structures, such as in architecture and bridge building.

5. Can the centroid of a cardioid be outside the shape?

No, the centroid of a cardioid will always fall within the boundaries of the shape. This is because the formula for calculating the centroid takes into account the location and distribution of mass within the shape, ensuring that the centroid is always located within the shape itself.