Centripetal Force, very simple.

In summary, the man hanging upside down is holding a partner who weighs 475 N and is moving on a circle with a radius of 6.50 m at a speed of 4.00 m/s. Using the equation F=mv^2/r, the force the man must apply to his partner in the straight-down position is 1,169 N, taking into account both the centripetal force and gravitational force.
nothing4me

Homework Statement

A man hanging upside down is holding a partner who weighs 475 N. Assume that the
partner moves on a circle that has a radius of 6.50 m. At a swinging speed of 4.00 m/s,
what force must the man apply to his partner in the straight-down position?

Homework Equations

F=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I just plugged in the numbers and got 1,169. Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
nothing4me said:
A man hanging upside down is holding a partner who weighs 475 N. Assume that the
partner moves on a circle that has a radius of 6.50 m. At a swinging speed of 4.00 m/s,
what force must the man apply to his partner in the straight-down position?

F=mv^2/r

I just plugged in the numbers and got 1,169. Is it correct?

Hi nothing4me! :smile:

That's the correct centripetal force, but you still have to deal with the gravitational force. :wink:

I would like to point out that your calculation is correct, assuming all the given values are accurate. The formula you used, F=mv^2/r, is the equation for centripetal force, which is the force required to keep an object moving in a circular path. In this case, the man must apply a force of 1,169 N to his partner in order to maintain their circular motion with a radius of 6.50 m and a speed of 4.00 m/s. It is important to note that centripetal force is always directed towards the center of the circle, in this case, towards the ground. This force is necessary to counteract the natural tendency of the partner to move in a straight line due to inertia. Overall, this is a great example of how centripetal force plays a crucial role in many everyday activities, from amusement park rides to sports like figure skating and gymnastics.

Related to Centripetal Force, very simple.

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is required for an object to constantly change its direction.

What is the equation for centripetal force?

The equation for centripetal force is Fc = mv²/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the linear velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some common examples of centripetal force include a car going around a curve, a person swinging a ball on a string, and a satellite orbiting around the Earth.

What happens if there is no centripetal force?

If there is no centripetal force acting on an object moving in a circular path, it will continue in a straight line tangent to the circle. This is known as Newton's first law of motion.

How does centripetal force relate to centrifugal force?

Centripetal force and centrifugal force are often thought of as opposites, but they are actually the same force viewed from different reference frames. Centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in a rotating frame of reference, while centripetal force is the real inward force acting on the object to keep it in a circular path.