Centripetal Force and maximum force

In summary, the problem is asking for the maximum force exerted by the wall on the Teddy bear, assuming the front-loading clothes washer spins at 1 rotation per second, has a radius of 42 cm, and contains a 3.9 kg wet Teddy bear. Using the formula Fc=mass(V^2/r), the calculated centripetal force is 64.664. However, this is not the same as the force exerted by the wall, which can be found by calculating the force when the bear is at the bottom of the spin. This gives the equation N-mg=Fc, where N is the force from the wall. By solving for N, the maximum force exerted by the wall on the bear can
uno
Please help with the following problem:

1. A front-loading clothes washer has a horizontal drum that is thoroughly perforated with small holes. Assuming it to spin dry at 1 rotation per second, have a radius of 42 cm, and contain a 3.9 kg wet Teddy bear, what maximum force is exerted by the wall on the bear?

2. The first step I took was change 42 cm to .42m

The main formula I used was Fc= mass (V^2/r)

R=.42m
T= 1 second
Mass = 3.9 kg

I figured V = 2pi(r)/t = 2 (3.14)(.42)/1 = 2.6389

Fc = 3.9 x (2.6389^2 / .42m = 64.664

According to the online hwk, this answer is incorrect. Please let me know where I am going wrong. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here the centripetal force has two components: the normal force from the wall and the weight.
The way the problem is formulated (with the perforations on the walls) seems to imply a constant speed for the bear during the rotation (the perforations will keep it from sliding). Then the centripetal force should be the same in every position.
However, you may have Fc=N+mg (top), Fc=N-mg (bottom) and so on.
Which one gives the maximum N?

uno said:
Please help with the following problem:

1. A front-loading clothes washer has a horizontal drum that is thoroughly perforated with small holes. Assuming it to spin dry at 1 rotation per second, have a radius of 42 cm, and contain a 3.9 kg wet Teddy bear, what maximum force is exerted by the wall on the bear?

2. The first step I took was change 42 cm to .42m

The main formula I used was Fc= mass (V^2/r)

R=.42m
T= 1 second
Mass = 3.9 kg

I figured V = 2pi(r)/t = 2 (3.14)(.42)/1 = 2.6389

Fc = 3.9 x (2.6389^2 / .42m = 64.664

According to the online hwk, this answer is incorrect. Please let me know where I am going wrong. Thanks.
This is a front loading machine, and the problem asks for the max force of the wall on Teddy bear. What are the forces on Teddy when he's at the bottom of the spin?

I am still a little confused, could you please be more specific.

Thanks for your help.

Brad

I figured it out. Thanks.

You did calculate the centripetal force (Fc).
The problem asks for the force exerted by the wall. This is not equal to Fc (excepting the points where bear is at 90 deg from the bottom).

PhantomJay gave you the solution already: calculate the force when the bear is on the bottom. Here you have N-mg=Fc where N is the force from the wall.
How much is N?

Related to Centripetal Force and maximum force

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object that is moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How is centripetal force related to maximum force?

Centripetal force is the maximum force that can be exerted on an object moving in a circular path, without causing the object to deviate from its circular path.

3. What is the formula for centripetal force?

The formula for centripetal force is Fc = mv2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. How does the radius of the circular path affect centripetal force?

The centripetal force is directly proportional to the radius of the circular path. This means that as the radius increases, the centripetal force also increases.

5. Can centripetal force act on objects moving in a straight line?

No, centripetal force can only act on objects that are moving in a circular path. If an object is moving in a straight line, it will not experience any centripetal force.