Centripetal Acceleration of laundry dryer

In summary, the cylindrical tub in a home laundry drier must rotate at a rate of 1.73 m/s to tumble the clothes uniformly and keep them from sticking to the tub.
rambo5330

Homework Statement

Hi I have a question that involves a laundry dryer, and it must turn at a certain velocity to so that when the object hits 68 degrees to the horizontal it will fall.

the radius is the only given
r = .330m

Homework Equations

the answer is stated as
Fc = N + mg*sin(68) = m * v^2 / r
which equals 1.73 m/s

what I can't make sense of is why it is sin68 when I draw it out I thought weight (mg) has to act directly downward meaning the vector in-line with N and FC is mg/sin(68) but this isn't the case?
the only way I can get the answer to work is if mg is acting radialy why is weight acting radially instead of straight down? my teacher did not explain this well

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post the complete problem.

Okay complete problem is,

In a home laundry drier, a cylindrical tub containing wet clothes rotates steadily about a horizontal axis, as in Figure P7.63. The clothes are made to tumble so that they will dry uniformly. The rate of rotation of the smooth-walled tub is chosen so that a small piece of cloth loses contact with the tub when the cloth is at an angle of 68.0º above the horizontal. If the radius of the tub is 0.330 m, what rate of revolution is needed?

the figure just shows a clothes dryer with an angle made at 68 degrees above the horizontal

I believe that in this case the weight has to components.One radial and one acting tangential to the path.The radial is mgsin68

See this picture it may help if i have understood correctly your question.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 574
rambo5330 said:
Okay complete problem is,

In a home laundry drier, a cylindrical tub containing wet clothes rotates steadily about a horizontal axis, as in Figure P7.63. The clothes are made to tumble so that they will dry uniformly. The rate of rotation of the smooth-walled tub is chosen so that a small piece of cloth loses contact with the tub when the cloth is at an angle of 68.0º above the horizontal. If the radius of the tub is 0.330 m, what rate of revolution is needed?
OK, now your question makes sense. And Tzim is correct; mg sin68 is the radial component of the weight, as you suspected. Any vector can be broken into components--weight is no exception. When dealing with centripetal acceleration, you need to look at the radial components of all forces acting. (Since the weight acts downward, it will not have a horizontal component. But it will have a non-zero component in other directions.)

Thanks, that does make a lot more sense, I just had trouble visualizing weight being broken into compents on an object that is upside down.

couldnt not make sense of how weight would have a horizontal component when the object is upside down, is there anyway you can help me understand that better?
when an object is on an incline plane I understand the normal force of the surface of the plane helps redirect gravity. I guess in this case like you said its the centripetal force.

Last edited:
rambo5330 said:
Thanks, that does make a lot more sense, I just had trouble visualizing weight being broken into compents on an object that is upside down.

couldnt not make sense of how weight would have a horizontal component when the object is upside down, is there anyway you can help me understand that better?
I'm not sure what you mean. Weight will not have a horizontal component. In this problem, you need the radial component of the weight (which produces the centripetal force), not the horizontal component (which would be zero).

Sorry I think I worded it wrong,
breaking it into a radial component and a tangential component...
I've drawn it out several ways and have made sense of it. Thanks a lot though, rotational kinematics was covered extremely fast in class.

Related to Centripetal Acceleration of laundry dryer

What is Centripetal Acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to the square of the object's speed divided by the radius of the circle.

How does Centripetal Acceleration affect laundry dryers?

In laundry dryers, centripetal acceleration is responsible for spinning the drum and keeping the clothes inside the drum as it rotates. This allows for efficient drying of the clothes as they are constantly exposed to the warm air inside the dryer.

What factors affect the Centripetal Acceleration of a laundry dryer?

The primary factor that affects the centripetal acceleration of a laundry dryer is the speed at which the drum rotates. The faster the rotation, the greater the centripetal acceleration. Other factors that can affect the acceleration include the weight and distribution of the clothes inside the drum and any external forces acting on the dryer.

How is Centripetal Acceleration calculated in a laundry dryer?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity or speed of the rotating drum, and r is the radius of the drum. This formula can be used to determine the necessary speed for efficient drying of laundry in a dryer.

How can Centripetal Acceleration be increased in a laundry dryer?

The most effective way to increase centripetal acceleration in a laundry dryer is to increase the speed of the rotating drum. This can be achieved by adjusting the settings on the dryer or by using a higher speed setting if available. Additionally, evenly distributing the clothes inside the drum can also help to increase the acceleration.