Central charge in string theory

In summary, the central charge in string theory is assumed to be equal to the number of dimensions in the spacetime background. This is based on the definition of the Virasoro algebra and its operators, which give rise to the commutator relation among the modes satisfying the string worldsheet-equation. This central charge is normalized by a factor of 12 to be equal to the charge J in the Hamiltonian. This means that for a CFT made of "d" bosons, the central charge is c=d. This assumption is supported by the fact that the central charge of the sum of two CFTs is the sum of the central charges, and the normalization is chosen so that a single boson has c=1.
giulio_hep

Homework Statement

I'd like to better understand why the central charge is assumed to be equal to the number of dimensions in the spacetime background.

Homework Equations

By definition of Virasoro algebra and its operators:
[Lm,Ln]=(m−n)Lm+n+c/12(m3−m)δm+n,0

The Attempt at a Solution

The commutator relation among the modes satisfying the string worldsheet-equation gives rise to the Virasoro relation with c=D. But I'm missing the details of exactly how it happens.
As another attempt to answer my question, I think that maybe c=D can follow from the defintion of the Vertex Operator Algebra where D is the rank of space of states (but again I'm unclear if this second approach is equivalent to the first one ... and if/how the VOA is related with the first quantization of the bosonic string theory...)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The closest reference I've found to answer my question is "Characters of Modules of Irrational Vertex Algebras" of Antun Milas, pag 9 to 11.
In particular pag 11 says "we can transport the structure of a Virasoro algebra module to VL with the grading given by the action of L(0)" and "We keep the same conformal vector so the central charge of VL is rank(L)".
Maybe the last sentence answers my question but is too synthetic for me and I'm unable to expand and elaborate it more.
Also from the same source, in a later, more advanced example of a "root lattice of ADE type" (pag 23), they choose a conformal vector that is different from the "standard (quadratic) Virasoro generator" and they note that - only without the linear term - the central charge is rank(L).
So, in conclusion, I think that the assumption (made in string theory) of a central charge equal to the spacetime dimensions deserves some closer scrutiny and challenge.

I think that this is the answer. http://relativity.livingreviews.org/open?pubNo=lrr-2012-11&page=articlesu17.html Central charge is normalized by a factor 12 to be equal to the charge J in the Hamiltonian. Thus since each boson is interpreted as a flat spacetime dimension ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-critical_string_theory#The_critical_dimension_and_central_charge ) , the concept is basically that the charge J is equal to the number of free bosons. Is my answer correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately the best answer I've found till now is a very trivial and shallow one from Lubos Motl:

Basically
1) If your CFT is made of "d" bosons - describing
spacetime dimensions - then its central charge is "c=d", more or less by
definition. The central charge of the sum of two CFTs is the sum of the
central charges.
and
2) the normalization is chosen in such a way that a single boson
has c=1

In fact the only relevant math point made by Lubos is here

Note that the commutators like [L_2,L_{-2}] are always a sum over "mu", and therefore they're proportional to the number of bosons (dimensions) - therefore "c" is proportional as well.

Last edited:

Related to Central charge in string theory

1. What is central charge in string theory?

Central charge in string theory is a quantity that measures the amount of symmetry present in a given string theory. It is a crucial component in understanding the structure of string theory and plays a key role in determining the properties of the theory.

2. How is central charge related to conformal symmetry?

Central charge is closely related to conformal symmetry in string theory. In fact, the central charge is the generator of the conformal symmetry algebra, which describes the transformations that preserve the overall shape of a string in space-time.

3. What is the significance of central charge in string theory?

The central charge is a fundamental quantity in string theory that is used to classify different string theories and determine their properties. It is also a crucial component in the development of dualities and the study of black hole entropy in string theory.

4. How is central charge calculated in string theory?

The central charge can be calculated using a variety of techniques, including through the use of conformal field theory and the Virasoro algebra. It is also closely related to the dimensions of the target space in string theory.

5. Can central charge be experimentally observed?

No, central charge is a theoretical concept in string theory and cannot be directly observed in experiments. However, it is a crucial component in developing and testing string theory and has implications for various phenomena that can be observed in nature.