Center of Mass via Scalar Line Integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass and center of mass of a thin wire with the shape of a first quadrant part of a circle. The density function and parametric equation of the circle are given. After some initial confusion, it is determined that the correct approach is to use the integral of density multiplied by the differential length. The conversation concludes with the confirmation of this approach.
Hashmeer

Homework Statement

A thin wire has the shape of the first quadrant part of the circle with center at the origin and radius a. If the density function is rho(x,y)=kxy, find the mass and center of mass of the wire.

Homework Equations

My parametric equation of the circle was x=a*cos(t) and y=a*sin(t).

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no clue where to begin for finding the center of mass of the wire. I think I got the mass via integral(k*a^2*sin(t)*cos(t) dt = -(k*a^2)/2. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hashmeer! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Hashmeer said:
… I think I got the mass via integral(k*a^2*sin(t)*cos(t) dt = -(k*a^2)/2.

No, mass = ∫ density*d(length),

and d(length) is not dt, it's … ? :smile:

Yea, I looked over my notes and I figured out what I need to do. Thanks for confirming what I was thinking was wrong.

Related to Center of Mass via Scalar Line Integrals

1. What is the definition of center of mass?

The center of mass of an object is the point at which all of the object's mass can be considered to be concentrated. In other words, it is the average of the positions of all the particles in the object.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated using a scalar line integral, which involves integrating the position of each particle in the object multiplied by its mass over the entire object. This integral is then divided by the total mass of the object to find the center of mass.

3. Why is the center of mass important in physics?

The center of mass is an important concept in physics because it allows us to simplify the analysis of systems by treating the entire object as a single point. It also helps us understand the motion and stability of objects, as well as the effects of external forces on the object.

4. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

No, the center of mass must always be located within the boundaries of the object. This is because the center of mass is defined as the average position of all the particles in the object, and all of these particles are contained within the object's boundaries.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect the center of mass?

The distribution of mass within an object affects the location of its center of mass. Objects with a more concentrated mass will have a center of mass closer to that concentration, while objects with a more spread out mass will have a center of mass located farther away from any specific point.