Center of Mass in Elliptical Space

In summary: If you were to ask me to give you a coordinate-independent reference to the treasure, I would have to tell you where the treasure is, not where the ground is.Thanks andrewkirk
Ontophobe
Apparently, a T-shaped organism in a positively curved space can wiggle around in such a way as to translate itself across space, thereby achieving locomotion simply by changing its shape in a specific series are ways. I've seen a computer generated animation of this and it's actually pretty cool. It's said that this is possible in elliptical space because the notion of "center of mass" is ill-defined in such a space.
What does this mean exactly? In what sense is the notion of "center of mass" not rigorously defined in curved space?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
A flat space is a vector space. That allows definition of the centre of mass of a system of particles in a coordinate-independent manner as

$$CoM=\frac{\sum_{i=1}^n m_i\mathbf{r}_i}{\sum_{i=1}^n m_i}$$

where ##\mathbf{r}_i## is the position vector of the ##i##th particle.

Unlike flat space, a curved space is not necessarily a vector space and, if it is not, the above definition is not available. One could make a definition based on coordinates instead, but that may make the CoM location vary by coordinate system.

Thanks andrewkirk

Would you mind saying a little more about the difference between a vector space and a non-vector space, as such?

Also, could we flesh out this concept of coordinate-dependency/independency a little more?

Ontophobe said:
Would you mind saying a little more about the difference between a vector space and a non-vector space, as such?
The key aspect of a vector space that is relevant here is that locations are things that can be added to one another, and that addition gives another point in the vector space. If we have the locations of two points we can add the vectors that represent those locations, divide by two, and get the midpoint between them. We can't do that if it's not a vector space. For instance, imagine if we are ants living on the surface of a balloon, and that surface is our world. If you use the above process to take the midpoint between two locations on the balloon, you get a place that's not on the balloon.

That's because, while the 3D space in which the balloon surface is embedded is a vector space, the balloon surface itself is not.

Ontophobe said:
Also, could we flesh out this concept of coordinate-dependency/independency a little more?
A coordinate-(in)dependent reference to a location is a reference that (doesn't) depend on some coordinate system to refer to the point. For instance if I tell you that the treasure is buried at a certain set of GPS coordinates, or at a certain latitude, longitude pair, I have given you a coordinate-dependent reference, and if your understanding of what those coordinates meant was different from mine (for instance if you thought that the zero meridian went through New York rather than London), you'd go to the wrong place. Alternatively, if I point at the ground and say 'dig there', or if I say 'It's buried underneath the pink palm tree' - and there's only one pink palm tree - then I have given you a coordinate-independent reference.

Related to Center of Mass in Elliptical Space

1. What is the definition of center of mass in elliptical space?

The center of mass in elliptical space is the point at which an object or system can be balanced in all directions, taking into account the varying distances and masses of its components. It is also known as the barycenter or center of gravity.

2. How is the center of mass calculated in elliptical space?

The center of mass in elliptical space is calculated using the formula: x̄ = Σ(mx)/Σm, where x̄ is the center of mass, m is the mass of each component, and x is the distance from the center of mass to each component. This formula takes into account the distribution of mass in the system.

3. Can the center of mass change in an elliptical space?

Yes, the center of mass in elliptical space can change if the distribution of mass within the system changes. For example, if an object or component moves closer to or further from the center, the center of mass will shift accordingly.

4. How does the center of mass affect the motion of objects in elliptical space?

The center of mass plays a crucial role in the motion of objects in elliptical space. Objects will tend to move in the direction of the center of mass, and any external forces acting on the system will affect the center of mass. In addition, the center of mass can be used to determine the stability and equilibrium of a system.

5. What are some real-life applications of the concept of center of mass in elliptical space?

The concept of center of mass in elliptical space has many practical applications, including designing stable structures such as buildings and bridges, calculating the motion of celestial bodies, and understanding the movement of objects in space or under the influence of gravity. It is also important in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.