Free Precession animation - body frame to space frame

In summary, to move from (a) to (b), you need to rotate the body frame axes, omega and L vectors about the axis of rotation with the angular velocity of the precession, using the rotation matrix R.
potatocar
I'm creating an animation of free precession of a cuboid in GeoGebra. The axis of rotation is not one of the principal axes (but does go through center of mass).

LjFu3GC.png

Since it's much easier to find the angular velocity and L in the body frame, I defined the e1, e2 and e3 axes (as opposed to the xyz coordinate system that already exists in GeoGebra as the space frame) and defined the omega and L vectors via the body frame axes. So I get the motion shown in (a). e3 is fixed, omega and L precess about it, which is correct in the body frame.

I don't know how to get from (a) to (b) now. I know I have to rotate the cuboid (the body frame axes, omega and L will also rotate accordingly since they're defined via the cuboid). QUESTION: which vector do I rotate them about and with what angular velocity?

I might also be going about this a completely wrong way, I'll appreciate any comment.

Attachments

• LjFu3GC.png
    LjFu3GC.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,556
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Answer:To move from (a) to (b), you need to rotate the body frame axes, omega and L vectors about the axis of rotation with the angular velocity of the precession. Since the axis of rotation is not one of the principal axes, you'll need to define the axis of rotation in terms of the body frame axes (e1, e2, e3). For example, if the axis of rotation is defined by a unit vector u = (u1,u2,u3), then you can use the formula for a rotation matrix to calculate the rotation matrix R that will rotate the body frame axes, omega and L vectors about the axis of rotation u: R = [u1u2-u3 0 -u1; -u2u3 0 u2; u3^2-u1^2-u2^2 1 -u3] where u1, u2, u3 are the components of u. Once you have the rotation matrix R, you can use it to rotate the body frame axes, omega and L vectors with the angular velocity of the precession.

Related to Free Precession animation - body frame to space frame

1. What is Free Precession animation in the context of body frame to space frame?

Free Precession animation is a graphical representation of the motion of an object in space, specifically its rotation around a fixed axis. In the context of body frame to space frame, it refers to the movement of a body in relation to a stationary reference frame, such as the Earth's axis of rotation.

2. How does Free Precession animation work?

Free Precession animation works by illustrating the rotation of an object around a specific axis, using a series of images or frames that are played in quick succession. The animation can be created using computer software or physically with a spinning object and a camera.

3. What is the purpose of using Free Precession animation in science?

Free Precession animation is commonly used in science to explain and visualize concepts related to rotational motion, such as the Earth's precession or the motion of a spinning top. It can also be used to demonstrate principles in physics and engineering, such as gyroscopic effects.

4. How is Free Precession animation different from other types of animations?

Free Precession animation is unique in that it specifically focuses on rotational motion, whereas other types of animations may depict linear or translational motion. It also often involves more complex mathematical calculations and simulations to accurately represent the motion of an object.

5. Can Free Precession animation be used in real-world applications?

Yes, Free Precession animation can be used in various real-world applications, such as in the design and testing of gyroscopes and other rotational devices. It can also be used in education and outreach to help explain complex concepts in a visual and interactive way.