Center of mass and Newton's laws of motion

In summary, the problem involves two particles, one of 2kg and one of 3kg, at rest. A 6N force is applied to the 3kg particle at t=0. The question asks for the speed of the center of mass at t=5s. Using the equations F=ma and v=u+at, the initial velocity of the center of mass is taken as zero. However, this does not result in the correct answer of 6 m/s. To solve the problem, the definition of center of mass and its equation (momentum of combined system = total mass * velocity of center of mass) can be used.
Avaron Cooper

Homework Statement

two particles of 2 kg and 3 kg are at rest .
a 6 N force is exerted on the 3 kg particle at t=0.
what is the speed of the center of mass at t=5s?

Homework Equations

F=ma
v=u+at

The Attempt at a Solution

first i applied f=ma to the 3 kg object and got 2 as the accn. And applied v= u+ at and got10 as the velocity but the answer is 6. Can someone show me where I went wrong please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Avaron Cooper said:

Homework Statement

two particles of 2 kg and 3 kg are at rest .
a 6 N force is exerted on the 3 kg particle at t=0.
what is the speed of the center of mass at t=5s?

Homework Equations

F=ma
v=u+at

The Attempt at a Solution

first i applied f=ma to the 3 kg object and got 2 as the accn. And applied v= u+ at and got10 as the velocity but the answer is 6. Can someone show me where I went wrong please?
What is u?
What is the velocity of the common centre of mass of two particles?

U is initial velocity and is zero. Therefore I took the initial velocity of the center of mass as zero.

Can we consider the 6N force is applied to both the particles when considering them as one system eventhough they are not connected?

Avaron Cooper said:
Can we consider the 6N force is applied to both the particles when considering them as one system eventhough they are not connected?

If you have two footballs (not connected) and you kick one, do they both move?

Regarding the original question, is here a diagram to show the configuration of the masses and the applied force?

Likes Avaron Cooper
⭕2kg ⭕➡6N.
. 3kg

One particle is 2 kg while the other is 3 kg and 6 N is applied on 3 kg one only.

Avaron Cooper said:
⭕2kg ⭕➡6N.
. 3kg

So, you calculated the speed of the 3kg object after 5 seconds and got 10 m/s. That's clearly not the speed of the centre of mass. So, let's think this through.

IF both masses were moving in the same direction at 10 m/s, THEN the speed of the centre of mass would be 10m/s. But, the first mass isn't moving. So, how could you analyse the motion of the centre of mass in this case?

Likes Avaron Cooper
Avaron Cooper said:
One particle is 2 kg while the other is 3 kg and 6 N is applied on 3 kg one only.
What is your understanding of the definition of "center of mass?" Can you provide a general equation for the location of the center of mass of a system of particles?

Chet

I can't come up with one... Can you please help me with that sir?

Avaron Cooper said:
It's appropriate to search for that sort of thing on the web rather than ask on a forum. That said, some of the definitions I see out there are not very good. This one is ok: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_mass

Avaron Cooper said:
How did you think you were going to solve a problem involving center of mass if you don't even know it's definition?

I
Chestermiller said:
How did you think you were going to solve a problem involving center of mass if you don't even know it's definition?
I know what the center of mass is but I don't know any equation to find the center of mass. If I am going to find the center of mass I would take the torques and find it.

Can I equal the momentum of the moving object to the momentum of the whole system?

Avaron Cooper said:
Can I equal the momentum of the moving object to the momentum of the whole system?
Momentum is additive. The momentum of the whole system is equal to the sum of the momenta of its component parts. So yes, if there are two pieces and one is stationary (zero momentum) then the momentum of the combined system is equal to the momentum of the other piece alone.

[In classical mechanics], the momentum of the combined system is equal to its total mass multiplied by the velocity of its center of mass. So yes, you could use this line of reasoning to solve the problem.

Likes Avaron Cooper and Chestermiller
Thank you very much jbriggs444!

Related to Center of mass and Newton's laws of motion

1. What is the definition of center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system of objects where the mass is evenly distributed and the object or system behaves as if all the mass is concentrated at that point.

2. How is the center of mass determined?

The center of mass can be determined by finding the average position of all the mass in the object or system. For a uniform object, the center of mass is located at the geometric center. For an irregular object, the center of mass can be found by balancing the object on a point or by using mathematical equations.

3. What is the significance of the center of mass in Newton's laws of motion?

The center of mass is significant in Newton's laws of motion because it is the point where the force of gravity acts on an object or system. This is important because it allows us to predict how the object or system will behave when subjected to external forces.

4. How does the center of mass affect an object's stability?

The lower an object's center of mass is, the more stable it is. This is because a lower center of mass means that the object is less likely to topple over when subjected to external forces, such as a push or pull.

5. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object if the object is not uniform. For example, in a soccer ball, the center of mass is located at the center of the ball, even though the mass is not evenly distributed throughout the ball.