Center of mass and moment of inertia of catenary

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center of mass and moment of inertia for a homogeneous catenary with given equations and limits. The method used involves finding the length of the catenary and using symmetry to determine the value of z. There is a minor error in the calculation of the integral of cosh^2(t), but it is corrected in the end.
brkomir

Homework Statement

A homogeneous catenary ##z=acosh(x/a)##, ##y=0## and ##x\in \left [ -a,a \right ]## is given. Calculate the center of mass and moment of inertia

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with ##x=at##, for##t\in \left [ -1,1 \right ]##, therefore y remains ##y=0## and ##z=acosh(ta/a)=acosh(t)##.
Btw, a is constant greater than zero, not a sign of arcus or any other inverse function.

Ok, now ##r(t)=(at,0,acosh(t))## and ##\dot{r}(t)=(a,0,asinh(t))## and ##\left |\dot{r} \right |=acosh(t)##

So the length of the catenary is ##l=\int_{-1}^{1}acosh(t)dt=2asinh(1)##

The catenary is symmetrical on x axis, but point z is given as ##z=\frac{\int_{-1}^{1}a^2cosh^2(t)dt}{\int_{-1}^{1}acosh(t)dt}=\frac{a^2}{2asinh(1)}\int_{-1}^{1}cosh^2(t)dt=\frac{asinh(2)}{4sinh(1)}=\frac{a}{2}cosh(1)##

I would just like to know if this is ok, before I start calculating moment of inertia?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method looks fine, but I'm getting a different result for the integral of cosh2 t.

Hmmm, let's take a look..

##a^2\int_{-1}^{1}cosh^2(t)dt=\frac{a^2}{2}\int_{-1}^{1}(1+cosh(2t))dt=\frac{a^2}{2}(t+\frac{1}{2}sinh(2t))## for ##t## form ##0## to ##2\pi ##. (I don't know how to type bar with integrating borders in latex...

##\frac{a^2}{2}(t+\frac{1}{2}sinh(2t))=\frac{a^2}{2}(1+\frac{1}{2}sinh(2)-1-\frac{1}{2}sinh(-2))=\frac{a^2}{2}sinh(2)##

OR is it not true that ##cosh^2(t)=\frac{1}{2}(1+cosh(2t)## or do I have some other problems? :/

You messed up the constant term. It works out to 1-(-1) = 2, not 1-1=0.

True... Thank you vela!

Related to Center of mass and moment of inertia of catenary

1. What is the definition of center of mass and moment of inertia?

The center of mass is the point at which the mass of a body can be considered to be concentrated. It is the average position of all the particles in the body. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. It is the sum of the mass of each particle in the body multiplied by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the center of mass of a catenary determined?

The center of mass of a catenary can be determined by finding the average position of all the particles that make up the catenary. This can be done by dividing the catenary into small segments and calculating the position of each segment's center of mass. The average of these positions will give the overall center of mass of the catenary.

3. What factors affect the center of mass and moment of inertia of a catenary?

The center of mass and moment of inertia of a catenary are affected by the shape and size of the catenary, as well as the material it is made of. The position of the axis of rotation also plays a role in determining the moment of inertia.

4. How does the center of mass and moment of inertia of a catenary relate to its stability?

The center of mass and moment of inertia of a catenary play an important role in determining its stability. A catenary with a lower center of mass and a larger moment of inertia will be more stable, as it is less likely to tip over when subjected to external forces.

5. Can the center of mass and moment of inertia of a catenary be changed?

Yes, the center of mass and moment of inertia of a catenary can be changed by altering its shape, size, or material. For example, adding weight to one side of the catenary will shift its center of mass, and changing the shape of the catenary will affect its moment of inertia.