Writting a technical paper in word

• Thread starter USMC8541
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of various software tools for writing technical papers with mathematical symbols and graphics. The first recommendation is to use OpenOffice, a free and open source software with built-in mathematical layout tools such as LaTeX. The conversation also mentions the availability of LaTeX for those who prefer using Word. However, it is noted that LaTeX may have a steep learning curve. The conversation also includes tips and tricks for using the equation editor in Word and formatting equations in OpenOffice. A helpful link for converting LaTeX to png is provided.
USMC8541
I am having problems writing a technical paper in microsoft word with calculus symbols and graphics. Can anyone tell me how to do this.

Todd

Computer science news on Phys.org
Use openoffice instead. It's free and open source. It has built in mathematical layout tools to do things like latex. Here is a screenshot

http://umsis.miami.edu/~dduardo/Screenshot-1.png

Or if your stubborn and want to use Word then use latex.

Last edited by a moderator:
where do i get open office and what is latex

Thanks
todd

I also highly recommend latex over word.

It is a bit ponderous to use, but Word does have an equation editor built in.

Insert->Object->Microsoft Equation 3.0

Originally posted by dduardo
Use openoffice instead. It's free and open source. It has built in mathematical layout tools to do things like latex. Here is a screenshot

http://umsis.miami.edu/~dduardo/Screenshot-1.png

Or if your stubborn and want to use Word then use latex.

hi, how do you do that with OOo 1.1?? I just need to write some simple formulas nothing fancy but I don't even know how to create fractions. please help

I can't seem to find the selection window anywhere.
is there a diff between windows and linux version?

Are you using the writer? If you are, then you want to go to insert->object->formula

If you have problems, why don't you try to use the help index.

Originally posted by manixc
hi, how do you do that with OOo 1.1?? I just need to write some simple formulas nothing fancy but I don't even know how to create fractions. please help

You could cheat:
Post your equations here using tex, and then import them into word as graphics.

E.g.

[tex]f(a,b)=\frac{b*i}{a-i}+\sqrt{\alpha_i^{\pi}}[/tex]

of course, this is all a plot to get you to join the tex users.

Dduardo:

I've been meaning to try out the OO formula editor, so since you were recommending it I decided to give it a shot.

Seems to me the guys who wrote that thing should have done a better job with the documentation. The "help" is terrible. It took me a half-hour to figure out how to write this pathetic little formula:
%DELTA V = - k sub e Q int from %infinite to r (dr over r)
If you paste that into OpenOffice you'll see it's supposed to look like this:
[tex]\Delta V = -k_e Q \int_\infty^r {dr \over r}[/tex]
except my OpenOffice version looks terrible because the spacing is all nasty, the relative sizes of the various parts don't really match very well, I had to put in those parentheses, and it took four times as long to do in OpenOffice, mainly because there is all kinds of really good help online for Tex, and the help for OpenOffice (you should pardon my expression) SUCKS.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for open source. And of course Tex is open source, too. But who has the time & patience to figure out how to make that OO stuff look presentable? Do you know how to fix that little bit of OO code I wrote to make it come out looking reasonably good? If so, how long did it take you to learn that? Am I missing something?

hmm, I don't know. Works fine for me:

http://umsis.miami.edu/~dduardo/formula.png

%DELTA V~=~- k sub e Q {int from {%infinite} to {r} {dr over r}}

Trying putting {} around things. Also you can mess with the spacing under format.

I don't understand what you're showing me. What changes did you make to the code I posted? How did you save that formula.png file? It opens in a browser window & I can't see the underlying code.

edit:
The image looks fine when I open your .png file. But if I type your code into the OpenOffice formula window it comes out looking pretty much like mine, except for the appearance of the fraction. That's the only place the brackets seem to have made a difference.
There's still way too much space before and after the Q.
What are the ~ for?
and what program creates the .png file?

Oh, and I don't see how to change the spacing. The format menu doesn't seem to be able to do anything inside the OO math window.

Last edited:
Are you sure you looking at the right menu? It should be to the right of the VIEW menu, which is to the right of the EDIT menu, which is to the right of the FILE menu. Also make sure you have very large percentages in the spacing options window.

And your right gnome, Latex is better than OO. That has to do a lot with age.

The main problem I've had with Latex is actually getting it on my computer. The project's website is such a mess, and I get lost on their ftp trying to figure out which packages I need. I tend to be good at figuring out this type of stuff, but this one has me running circles.

Great link, chroot. Thanks!

dduardo:
Duh, I'm on the right menu. Gimme a little credit. I tried playing around with the spacing in OO, but all I can do there is go from bad to worse. For example, something as simple as
[tex]
k_eQ [/tex]
comes out looking like
[tex]k_e~~ Q[/tex]

& I can't find any way to get the Q closer without it ending up in the subscript.

btw, my OO is 1.0.2. Are you using a newer one? Do you think that could be the problem?

BTW, if you have access to a Unix machine, you can make higher-resolution versions of LaTeX graphics that will look better printed.

If you're on Windows, you can use MikTex.

- Warren

Here is a sort of related question:

I wrote a quick Matlab script for a homework assingment in which I included several plots. I needed to run the code for several different data sets and didn't really want to re-type the title's "Name Date Serial Number" etc. over and over again. The MATLAB command: title('enter text here') only includes a single line, but the documentation mentions that it uses LaTex to convert superscripts and subscripts. Does anyone know if it's possible to use other Latex commands to get it to print a title on several lines?

What were you referring to here:
if you have access to a Unix machine, you can make higher-resolution versions of LaTeX graphics that will look better printed
??

Originally posted by gnome
What were you referring to here:

??
The graphics generated by this site's LaTeX feature, for example, are low-resolution and would not look good printed on a page. If you actually run LaTeX on your own machine, you can specify any resolution you'd like for your images, and thus make them appear nice and smooth on the page.

I am personally in favor of typesetting a document entirely in TeX if there are any more complicated mathematical forms than "1/2."

- Warren

1. What is the best way to format a technical paper in Microsoft Word?

The best way to format a technical paper in Microsoft Word is to use the built-in styles and headings feature. This allows for consistency throughout the document and makes it easier to create a table of contents. It is also important to use a professional font and to keep the formatting simple and clean.

2. How should I structure my technical paper in Word?

A technical paper should follow a standard structure, including an introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. It is also important to include figures, tables, and references in the appropriate places within the document. It can be helpful to use the "Outline" view in Word to organize and structure your paper.

3. How do I insert equations and symbols in a technical paper in Word?

To insert equations and symbols in a technical paper, you can use the "Equation" tool in Word. This allows you to create and edit complex equations using a visual editor. You can also insert symbols by going to the "Insert" tab and selecting "Symbol." It is important to double check that all equations and symbols are correctly formatted before submitting your paper.

4. Can I collaborate with others on a technical paper in Word?

Yes, you can collaborate with others on a technical paper in Word by using the "Track Changes" feature. This allows you to make edits and comments that can be seen by others, making it easier to work together and make revisions. It is important to communicate with your collaborators and make sure that everyone is using the same version of the document.

5. How do I properly cite sources in a technical paper in Word?

To properly cite sources in a technical paper, you can use the "References" tab in Word. This allows you to add in-text citations and create a bibliography or works cited page at the end of your paper. It is important to follow a specific citation style, such as APA or MLA, and to double check that all sources are properly cited and formatted.