Center of Gravity/ Seesaw problem?

In summary, two workers are carrying a 3.2 m long wooden beam with a weight of 820 N. The beam's center of gravity is 1.4 m from one end. Each worker lifts a portion of the weight, with one worker lifting with a force of x and the other with a force of y. To solve for x and y, an additional equation is needed: the sum of x and y must equal the total weight of the beam.
laneybaney

Homework Statement

A large wooden beam weighs 820 N and is 3.2 m long. the beam's CG is 1.4 m from one end. two workers carry it away. If they lift the beam at its ends, what part of the weight does each worker lift?

Homework Equations

Tcw=Tccw
F*l=F*l

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried drawing out the picture and doing

1.4(x)= 1.8(y)
I realize you can't have two variables so I'm very confused

Any help is apreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
laneybaney said:

Homework Statement

A large wooden beam weighs 820 N and is 3.2 m long. the beam's CG is 1.4 m from one end. two workers carry it away. If they lift the beam at its ends, what part of the weight does each worker lift?

Homework Equations

Tcw=Tccw
F*l=F*l

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried drawing out the picture and doing

1.4(x)= 1.8(y)
I realize you can't have two variables so I'm very confused

Any help is appreciated!
Hello laneybaney. Welcome to PF !

From what you set up, I take it that one worked lifts with a force, x, and the other lifts with a force of y .

There's one more equation you need so that you can solve two equations in two unknowns.

What must the sum x+y be equal to ?

Related to Center of Gravity/ Seesaw problem?

1. What is the center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which the weight of an object or system is concentrated. In other words, it is the point where an object would balance if it were suspended.

2. How is the center of gravity calculated?

The center of gravity can be calculated by finding the point at which the weight of the object is equally distributed on all sides. This can be done through mathematical equations or by physically balancing the object.

3. What is the significance of the center of gravity in a seesaw problem?

The center of gravity is important in a seesaw problem because it determines the balance point of the seesaw. If one side of the seesaw has more weight or a different distribution of weight, it will affect the balance and cause one side to tilt.

4. How does the distance of the center of gravity from the pivot point affect the seesaw problem?

The distance of the center of gravity from the pivot point is a crucial factor in the seesaw problem. The closer the center of gravity is to the pivot point, the more stable the seesaw will be. However, if the center of gravity is further from the pivot point, it will cause one side to have more leverage and result in an unbalanced seesaw.

5. Can the center of gravity be changed in a seesaw problem?

Yes, the center of gravity can be changed in a seesaw problem by adjusting the distribution of weight on each side of the seesaw. For example, if one person moves closer to the pivot point, the center of gravity will shift and the seesaw will become more balanced.