Ceiling height for a game of Catch

• Thread starter Lukeblackhill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game Height
In summary: After reading through the comments, I think I understand what I need to do now. I will work on getting the angle and then I will post my solution.In summary, the boys can play catch at a maximum distance of 2x if the ceiling height is H - h > vo²/4g.
Lukeblackhill
Poster reminded to use the standard Template for schoolwork
Dear Mates,

I was studying Newton's Laws of Motion by Berkeley's Physics Course, Vol. 1 - Chap. 3, when I came across this problem, about finding the maximum separation of the boys. In my mind, it was simply about finding the "2x", considering x to be the distance between the first boy and the position of the ball at maximum height. Working with the equations of motion for a uniform gravitational field, the task would be resumed in applying the problem's variables to the equation R = Vo²sin2θ/g. But I don't know if this interpretation of mine is wrong of if I've made mistakes in the arithmetics, but I simply can't arrive in the result presented by the own book. And without knowing what I did wrong, I'm unable to give the explanation next requested.

Ceiling height for a game of catch. Two boys "play catch" with a ball in a long hallway. The ceiling height is H, and the ball is thrown and caught at shoulder height, which we call h for each boy, If the boys are capable of throwing the ball with velocity vo, at what maximum separation can they play?

Ans. R = 4V(H - h)[vo²/2g - (H - h)]. Show that if H - h > vo²/4g, R = vo²/g. Explain the physical significance of the condition H - h > vo²/4g.

Thank you for your help,
Cheers,
Luke

Physics news on Phys.org
The range equation that you have is correct as a starting point because the ball returns to the same height from which it was launched. What do you think you should do next? Show us what you have so far.

The range formula is fine as a check, but you do not need to use trig
functions to get the answer provided for (R)^1/2.

We know that the height attained by the ball is (v0²sin²ø)/2g<=H-h where H = the highest height attained and h is the height at which the ball is caught by the boys.
Sin ø=√{(H-h)*2g/V0²}
R= V0²/g*[2√{(H-h)*2g/v0²}][√{1-(H-h)*2g/V0²}]...simply to get the result

Lukeblackhill said:
applying the problem's variables to the equation R = Vo²sin2θ/g.
But that leaves you with the unknown angle. You need to find the best angle, given that you are not allowed to hit the roof.

This is a revived thread from 2 years ago by new user. OP seems to have vanished.

kuruman said:
This is a revived thread from 2 years ago by new user. OP seems to have vanished.
Ah, thanks.

Related to Ceiling height for a game of Catch

1. How high should the ceiling be for a game of Catch?

The ideal height for a game of Catch depends on the age and skill level of the players. For younger children or beginner players, a ceiling height of 8-10 feet is recommended. For older children or more experienced players, a ceiling height of 10-12 feet is better to allow for more challenging throws and catches.

2. Can I play Catch indoors with a low ceiling?

Yes, you can still play Catch indoors with a low ceiling. However, you may need to adjust the rules and techniques to accommodate for the limited space. You can use softer balls or try underhand throws to avoid hitting the ceiling.

3. Is it safe to play Catch in a room with a low ceiling?

It is generally safe to play Catch in a room with a low ceiling as long as the players are aware of the limited space and take precautions to avoid hitting the ceiling or other objects. It is important to use soft balls and avoid throwing too hard to prevent injuries.

4. What is the minimum height required for a game of Catch?

The minimum height required for a game of Catch is typically around 7-8 feet. However, this may vary depending on the age and skill level of the players. It is always recommended to have a ceiling height of at least 8 feet for a safe and enjoyable game of Catch.

5. Are there any safety guidelines for playing Catch indoors?

Yes, there are a few safety guidelines to follow when playing Catch indoors. Make sure the playing area is clear of any objects that could be knocked over or broken. Use soft balls and avoid throwing too hard. Also, be aware of the height and potential hazards in the room, such as ceiling fans or light fixtures.