Cayley Tables and algebraic structures

• Thread starter succubus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structures
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Cayley tables with composition operators in algebraic structures. The table given is used to determine various properties of the group, such as identity element and associativity. The group in this example consists of four functions and the operation is function composition. The specific question mentioned is why c o c = a, but it is explained that this is simply defined in the table. Finally, a concrete example is given to further illustrate the concept.
succubus
I have a question regarding Cayley tables, specifically using the composition operator for this particular problem.

I had to miss class the other week and was just now sitting down to catch up on my homework for this class when I was hit with the algebraic structures section. They have a Cayley table with the composition operator. It goes like this

o ] a | b | c | d | < row of operation
-----------------------
a ] a | b | c | d |
============
b ] b | a | d | c |
============
c ] c | d | a | b |
============
d ] d | c | b | a |Hopefully you can decipher that table :P They ask a series of questions for the problem such as, is it an algebraic structure, name the identity element, associative, commutative etc. I can answer all those questions by looking at the table, I just can't figure out how they have c o b = d.

I have studied the definition of composite, looked back at identity functions, even checked out some other cayley tables for other operators. I see the pattern, but I just can't see why they get that pattern. Is there another way to do it? Because I see the ring pattern for the identity function, but why is c o c = a!
I'm sure as soon as someone explains it to me I will bang my head, but I can't seem to get it right now :/. I'm a geology major (if that explains my lack of understanding :P - math minor) so go easy on me :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Content in your post is usually a good start

Yea I thought I had tabbed into this window and went to hit shift and hit enter instead :) I am in an awkward position with my laptop :eek:

Tables like these are typically used for whatever the operation on a group. Apparently the group you're working with consists of four functions, and the operation is function composition.

The table defines how the members of the group interact via the operation, so you don't need to figure out how they got, for example, c o b = d. Just take it as being defined this way.

You can look at the table and see whether the operations are associative or commutative by noting whether x o (y o z) is the same as (x o y) o z for any choices of x, y, and z (associative). You can also see whether x o y is the same as y o x for any choices of x and y (commutative).

It looks like a is the identity, since a o a = a, a o b = b, a o c = c, and a o d = d, and also a o a = a, b o a = b, c o a = c, and d o a = a.

Mark is absolute right. I only wish to add a piece.

If you want to consider a concrete example, Succubus, as you asked "why is c o c = a!", consider the abelian 4-element group [tex]G = \mathbf{Z}_2\times \mathbf{Z}_2[/tex], with the group operation being component-wise addition modulo 2. That is, G = {00, 01, 10, 11}, where 00 is the identity (00 + 01 = 01, etc), and x+x=00 for each x in G (e.g., 10 + 10 = 00).

Consider the functions [tex]f_t:G\to G[/tex] defined by [tex]f_t(x) = x + t[/tex] (with addition as defined above). Let a, b, c and d be f_t for t=00, t=01, t=10 and t=11, respectively.

Thus a(x) = x + 00 for each x in G; b(x) = x + 01; c(x) = x + 10; d(x) = x + 11.

Then {a,b,c,d} forms a group under function composition. In particular, for each x in G, we have (c o c)(x) = c(x + 10) = (x + 10) + 10 = x = a(x). Hence c o c = a.

Last edited:

Related to Cayley Tables and algebraic structures

What is a Cayley Table?

A Cayley Table is a visual representation of an algebraic structure, specifically a group, that shows the operations and their results within the group. It is named after mathematician Arthur Cayley.

What is an algebraic structure?

An algebraic structure is a set of elements and operations defined on those elements that follow specific rules or axioms. Examples of algebraic structures include groups, rings, and fields.

What is the purpose of using Cayley Tables?

Cayley Tables are used to analyze and understand the properties of algebraic structures. They can help identify patterns and relationships between elements and operations within a group.

How do you read a Cayley Table?

In a Cayley Table, the rows and columns represent the elements of the group, and the entries in the table represent the result of combining those elements using the specified operation. The operation is typically represented by a symbol such as *, +, or ×.

What is the significance of the identity element in a Cayley Table?

The identity element in a Cayley Table is the element that, when combined with any other element, results in that same element. It is typically denoted by e or 1. The identity element is important because it helps determine the structure and properties of the group.