Cauchy Schwarz proof with alternative dot product definition

In summary, the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality states that the dot product of two vectors must be less than the sum of the vectors. If one vector is a scalar multiple of the other, the inequality is proved.
dustbin

Homework Statement

Does the Cauchy Schwarz inequality hold if we define the dot product of two vectors [itex] A,B \in V_n [/itex] by [itex] \sum_{k=1}^n |a_ib_i| [/itex]? If so, prove it.

Homework Equations

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality: [itex] (A\cdot B)^2 \leq (A\cdot A)(B\cdot B) [/itex]. Equality holds iff one of the vectors is a scalar multiple of the other.

The Attempt at a Solution

The result is trivial if either vector is the zero vector. Assume [itex] A,B\neq O [/itex].

Let [itex] A',B'\in V_n [/itex] s.t. [itex] a'_i = |a_i| [/itex] and [itex] b'_i = |b_i| [/itex] for each [itex] i=1,2,...,n [/itex]. Let [itex] \theta [/itex] be the angle between [itex] A' [/itex] and [itex] B' [/itex]. Notice that [itex] A\cdot B = A'\cdot B' [/itex], [itex] ||A|| = ||A'|| [/itex], [itex] ||B|| = ||B'|| [/itex], and [itex] A\cdot B > 0 [/itex]. Then [tex] A\cdot B = ||A||\,||B||\,\cos\theta \implies A\cdot B = ||A||\,||B||\,|\cos\theta| \leq ||A||\,||B|| [/tex] since [itex] 0\leq |\cos\theta|\leq 1 [/itex]. Then [itex] (A\cdot B)^2 \leq ||A||^2||B||^2 = (A\cdot A)(B\cdot B) [/itex]. This proves the inequality.

We now show that equality holds iff [itex] B = kA [/itex] for some [itex] k\in\mathbb{R} [/itex].

([itex] \Longrightarrow [/itex]) We prove this direction by the contrapositive. If [itex] B\neq k A [/itex] for any [itex] k\in\mathbb{R} [/itex], then [itex] B' \neq |k| A' [/itex]. Hence [itex] \theta \neq \alpha \pi [/itex] for any [itex] \alpha \in \mathbb{Z} [/itex]. Thus [itex] 0 < |\cos\theta| < 1 [/itex] and therefore [itex] A\cdot B < ||A||\,||B|| [/itex]. In other words, equality does not hold.

([itex] \Longleftarrow [/itex]) If [itex] A = kB [/itex] for some [itex] k\in\mathbb{R} [/itex], then [itex] B' = |k| A' [/itex]. Hence [itex] \theta = \alpha \pi [/itex] for some [itex] \alpha \in \mathbb{Z} [/itex]. Therefore [itex] \cos\theta = \pm 1 [/itex]. Thus equality holds.

Does this look okay?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I may have missed something but I think you redefine ##A \cdot B## then try to use the fact that ##A \cdot B = ||A||\,||B||\,\cos\theta##, but this is negative if the angle between them is obtuse.

But don't [itex] A',B' [/itex] still satisfy [itex] A'\cdot B' = ||A'||\,||B'||\,\cos\theta [/itex], where [itex] \theta [/itex] is the angle between [itex] A', B' [/itex]? As well, [itex] A\cdot B = A'\cdot B' [/itex], [itex] ||A|| = ||A'|| [/itex], and [itex] ||B|| = ||B'|| [/itex].

Oh, you should call it ##\theta'## then, it is the angle between ##A'## and ##B'##, not between ##A## and ##B##.

Likes 1 person
Okay. I thought it was clear. Thanks for pointing that out!

Does the proof look okay, then?

Well, you say the inequality is proved, but the original inequality has a square on the left. Something is amiss.

Likes 1 person
Edited. What do you tink?

I think you're done. You were asked to prove the equality and I see no gaps. My work here is done :).

Likes 1 person

Related to Cauchy Schwarz proof with alternative dot product definition

1. What is the Cauchy Schwarz inequality?

The Cauchy Schwarz inequality, also known as the Cauchy-Schwarz-Bunyakovsky inequality, states that for any real or complex vectors x and y, the following inequality holds: |x⋅y| ≤ ||x||⋅||y||, where denotes the dot product and || represents the norm.

2. What is the alternative dot product definition used in the Cauchy Schwarz proof?

In the Cauchy Schwarz proof, an alternative dot product definition is used where the dot product of two vectors x and y is defined as x⋅y = Σxiyi, where xi and yi are the components of x and y respectively.

3. How is the Cauchy Schwarz proof with the alternative dot product definition different from the traditional proof?

In the traditional proof of the Cauchy Schwarz inequality, the dot product is defined as x⋅y = ||x||⋅||y||⋅cos(θ), where θ is the angle between the two vectors x and y. In the proof using the alternative dot product definition, the angle between the vectors is not explicitly used.

4. What are the advantages of using the alternative dot product definition in the Cauchy Schwarz proof?

Using the alternative dot product definition in the Cauchy Schwarz proof allows for a more general and simpler proof, as it does not rely on trigonometry or geometric interpretations. It also makes the proof more applicable to a wider range of vector spaces.

5. Can the Cauchy Schwarz inequality be extended to other types of vector spaces?

Yes, the Cauchy Schwarz inequality can be extended to other types of vector spaces, such as complex-valued vector spaces, inner product spaces, and normed vector spaces. However, the alternative dot product definition may need to be modified accordingly for each type of vector space.