Cauchy Riemann conditions for analyticity for all values of z.

In summary: Ouch. Ok, I asked for that. Very nasty indeed. You are going to have use trig and hyperbolic trig identies to show CR holds. But we know it does. Do you really HAVE to it that way? Are you working with computer algebra system or did you do this by hand? If you doing this with software then you could at least check that if you put in x=1 and y=2 for example that CR holds. I don't think anyone will actually check a mess like that. I know I don't feel like doing it....
timeforchg

Homework Statement

Show that sin(z) satisfies the condition. (Stated in the title)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f(z) = sin (z)
= sin (x + iy)
= sin x cosh y + i cos x sinh y

thus,

u(x,y)=sin x cosh y ... v(x,y)= cos x sinh y

du/dx = cos x ... dv/dx = -sin x
du/dy = -sinh y ... dv/dy = cosh y

therefore I will compare it with the Cauchy Riemann formula.

Am I right to say it doesn't satisfies the condition??

Physics news on Phys.org
Your partial derivatives are wrong. For du/dx the cosh(y) is a constant. You should get du/dx=cos(x)cosh(y). And the derivative of sinh(y) is sinh(y) not -sinh(y).

Last edited:
timeforchg,
Please post calculus and analysis problems in the Calculus & Beyond section, not in the Precalc section. I am moving this thread.

Dick said:
Your partial derivatives are wrong. For du/dx the cosh(y) is a constant. You should get du/dx=cos(x)cosh(y). And the derivative of sinh(y) is sinh(y) not -sinh(y).

thanks for notifying. I mange to solve it. and yes it satifies the condition.

What if the equation is 1/sin (z)?

I try to conjugate the equation but end up with 0.
i guess i did it wrong.

How do I start with this equation?
Thanks.

Mark44 said:
timeforchg,
Please post calculus and analysis problems in the Calculus & Beyond section, not in the Precalc section. I am moving this thread.

Sorry for the mis post.

timeforchg said:

Well, you just established that sin(z) is analytic for all z. Do you know any theorems (such as the quotient rule) that could help with 1/sin(z)?

timeforchg said:

I try to conjugate the equation but end up with 0.
i guess i did it wrong.

How do I start with this equation?
Thanks.

You'll have to show what you did before anyone can tell you what are doing wrong. That's the right way to start.

am i right to say that 1/sin (z) in (a+jb) format is

sin(x) cosh(y)/ sin^2 (x) cosh^2 (y) + cos^2 (x) sinh^2 (y) - j cos(x) sinh(y)/ sin^2 (x) cosh^2 (y) + cos^2 (x) sinh^2 (y) ??

Correct me if I'm wrong

timeforchg said:
am i right to say that 1/sin (z) in (a+jb) format is

sin(x) cosh(y)/ sin^2 (x) cosh^2 (y) + cos^2 (x) sinh^2 (y) - j cos(x) sinh(y)/ sin^2 (x) cosh^2 (y) + cos^2 (x) sinh^2 (y) ??

Correct me if I'm wrong

Yes, that looks right. Take a look at jbunniii's suggestion above before you wade in and start taking partial derivatives. It'll get pretty complicated. You can simplify the denominator a bit before you start, but still.

Dick said:
Yes, that looks right. Take a look at jbunniii's suggestion above before you wade in and start taking partial derivatives. It'll get pretty complicated. You can simplify the denominator a bit before you start, but still.

It's nasty..

If by theorem, 1/sin(z) will satisfy Cauchy - Riemann conditions for all values of z except z = k pi + pi/2, ( k=0, +- 1, +- 2 ...), where the denominator of the function equals to zero. ??but I try it out manually, it seems it doesn't satisfy the equation. hmm...

Last edited:
timeforchg said:
It's nasty..

If by theorem, 1/sin(z) will satisfy Cauchy - Riemann conditions for all values of z except z = k pi + pi/2, ( k=0, +- 1, +- 2 ...), where the denominator of the function equals to zero. ??

but I try it out manually, it seems it doesn't satisfy the equation. hmm...

Yes, it is nasty to show it directly. But your theorem tells you it should if the denominator is nonzero. If your manual work tells you not, it's wrong. Again, if you want someone to correct that you'll have to post what you've done.

Dick said:
Yes, it is nasty to show it directly. But your theorem tells you it should if the denominator is nonzero. If your manual work tells you not, it's wrong. Again, if you want someone to correct that you'll have to post what you've done.

Oopss.. Ok here it goes.. Very nasty.

Attachments

• g3971.jpg
    g3971.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 502
timeforchg said:
Oopss.. Ok here it goes.. Very nasty.

Ouch. Ok, I asked for that. Very nasty indeed. You are going to have use trig and hyperbolic trig identies to show CR holds. But we know it does. Do you really HAVE to it that way? Are you working with computer algebra system or did you do this by hand? If you doing this with software then you could at least check that if you put in x=1 and y=2 for example that CR holds. I don't think anyone will actually check a mess like that. I know I don't feel like doing it. Sorry.

BTW, if you really do have to do it that way, you might think about my suggestion to try and simplify the denominator before you start differntiating using identities. You could write it as cosh(y)^2-cos(x)^2 or sinh(y)^2+sin(x)^2, I think. That might help a little, but geez.

Dick said:
Ouch. Ok, I asked for that. Very nasty indeed. You are going to have use trig and hyperbolic trig identies to show CR holds. But we know it does. Do you really HAVE to it that way? Are you working with computer algebra system or did you do this by hand? If you doing this with software then you could at least check that if you put in x=1 and y=2 for example that CR holds. I don't think anyone will actually check a mess like that. I know I don't feel like doing it. Sorry.

There's some obvious low-hanging fruit in all four expressions. Each would immediately benefit from application of one of these basic identities: [itex]\cos^2(x) + \sin^2(x) = 1[/itex], [itex]\cosh^2(x) - \sinh^2(x) = 1[/itex]

Dick said:

Hahaha.. do this by hand?? oh my god! I would suffer from brain damage. ouh well. Ok a quick question. If I need to calculate the derivative of 1/sin(z) at z=0, +- pi/2, +- pi, +-3pi/2...

I used quotient rule to get -cos (z)/ sin^2 (z)

Thus, sub the values of z into the equation. I will get

f '(0) = infinity
f '(pi/2) = 0
f '(-pi/2) = 0
f '(pi) = infinity
f '(-pi) = infinity
f '(3pi/2) = 0
f '(-3pi/2) = 0

am i approaching the right way?

Also, the expressions for du/dx and dv/dy already have one term in common. So only the remaining term needs to be compared.

Similarly, dv/dx and du/dy have a term in common, although if C-R is to be satisfied, there should be a negative sign on one of them. Perhaps a differentiation error?

timeforchg said:
Hahaha.. do this by hand?? oh my god! I would suffer from brain damage. ouh well. Ok a quick question. If I need to calculate the derivative of 1/sin(z) at z=0, +- pi/2, +- pi, +-3pi/2...

I used quotient rule to get -cos (z)/ sin^2 (z)

Thus, sub the values of z into the equation. I will get

f '(0) = infinity
f '(pi/2) = 0
f '(-pi/2) = 0
f '(pi) = infinity
f '(-pi) = infinity
f '(3pi/2) = 0
f '(-3pi/2) = 0

am i approaching the right way?

I'm not sure what the point of this is, but ok. Sure. I would say f'(0) does not exist instead of infinity.

SOLVED! Thanks a lot guys! Appreciate it.

Related to Cauchy Riemann conditions for analyticity for all values of z.

1. What are the Cauchy Riemann conditions for analyticity?

The Cauchy Riemann conditions for analyticity state that for a function to be analytic at a point, it must have continuous partial derivatives that satisfy a set of equations. These equations involve the real and imaginary parts of the function, and they must also be satisfied at all points in a given domain.

2. Why are the Cauchy Riemann conditions important?

The Cauchy Riemann conditions are important because they are necessary and sufficient conditions for a function to be analytic. This means that if a function satisfies these conditions, it is guaranteed to be analytic at every point in its domain. Analytic functions have many useful properties and are widely used in mathematics and physics.

3. Can the Cauchy Riemann conditions be used to determine if a function is holomorphic?

Yes, the Cauchy Riemann conditions are equivalent to the definition of a holomorphic function. This means that if a function satisfies the Cauchy Riemann conditions, it is also holomorphic. However, there are some functions that are holomorphic but do not satisfy the Cauchy Riemann conditions, such as the complex conjugate function.

4. Are the Cauchy Riemann conditions only applicable to complex-valued functions?

Yes, the Cauchy Riemann conditions are only applicable to complex-valued functions. This is because they involve the real and imaginary parts of the function, which are only defined for complex numbers. Real-valued functions do not have complex derivatives, so the Cauchy Riemann conditions do not apply to them.

5. Are there any alternative conditions for analyticity besides the Cauchy Riemann conditions?

Yes, there are alternative conditions for analyticity, such as the Cauchy integral theorem and the Cauchy integral formula. These conditions are also necessary and sufficient for a function to be analytic, but they are typically used in more advanced settings, such as complex analysis.