Cauchy Intergral Formula sin(i)?

In summary, the problem involves evaluating the integral of sin(z)/(z^2 + 1) around a circle of radius 2 centered at the origin in an anticlockwise direction. Using the Cauchy Integral Formula and substituting z0 = i, we can rewrite the integral as 2πi * sin(i)/(i + i). However, since there are multiple singularities inside the contour, we must use the Residue Theorem to solve the integral. Alternatively, we can apply Cauchy's Integral Theorem before using the Cauchy Integral Formula to deal with multiple singularities.
Meggle
Cauchy Intergral Formula sin(i)??

Homework Statement

Circle of radius 2 centered at the origin oriented anticlockwise. Evaluate:
[tex]\int\frac{sin(z)}{z^{2} +1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I think I'm supposed to be using the Cauchy Integral Formula, so
[tex]\int\frac{f(z) dz}{z - z_{0}}[/tex] = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]if(z_{0})

The Attempt at a Solution

I rewrote z[tex]^{2}[/tex] +1 = (z + i)(z - i) and took z[tex]_{0}[/tex] = i , (suitable z[tex]_{0}[/tex] within the countour) so f(z) = [tex]\frac{sin(z)}{z + i}[/tex] .

Then 2[tex]\pi[/tex]if( [tex]_{0}[/tex] ) = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]i [tex]\frac{sin(i)}{i + i}[/tex]

But what do I do with sin(i)? Can I take i in polar form on my real/imaginary axis and say sin(i) = sin([tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]) = 1 ? Is that correct or have I lost the plot somewhere?

(Sorry, I never seem to get the Latex quite right.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Yes it should be fine to leave it as sin(i). But clearly sin(i) =/= 1, so I'm not sure what you were trying to do at the end. Using sin(z) = (e^iz - e^(-iz)) / 2i should clarify this. The rest of your work seems fine.

Also, you may use the Residue Theorem to solve this problem.

1. Both i and -i are inside the circle of radius 2 (centered at origin), so you have 2 different singularities inside your closed contour.

2. sin(z) = (exp(iz) - exp(-iz))/2i

gomunkul51 said:
Also, you may use the Residue Theorem to solve this problem.

1. Both i and -i are inside the circle of radius 2 (centered at origin), so you have 2 different singularities inside your closed contour.

2. sin(z) = (exp(iz) - exp(-iz))/2i

:bugeye: O yes, I can't use Cauchy because there's more than one singular point. Cheers.

Ah yes, stupid oversight, since f was clearly not analytic on {z | |z| < 2}. So you have to use residue calculus, which is fine.

*EDIT* Actually, you can still use Cauchy (especially if you don't know the residue theorem). But you have to apply http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy%27s_integral_theorem" first before applying Cauchy's integral formula (this is slightly confusing but everything else is based on Cauchy's theorem). This is the correct way to deal with multiple singularities via the Cauchy integral formula, though on the few complex integrals I have looked at, it happened that I ditched this method in favor of residue calculus because the former is tedious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Cauchy Intergral Formula sin(i)?

1. What is the Cauchy Integral Formula for sin(i)?

The Cauchy Integral Formula for sin(i) is an equation used in complex analysis to calculate the value of a function at a point inside a closed contour. It is given by f(z) = (1/2πi) ∫γ f(z)/(z-i) dz, where f(z) is the function, γ is the contour, and i is the point inside the contour.

2. How is the Cauchy Integral Formula derived for sin(i)?

The Cauchy Integral Formula for sin(i) can be derived using the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem, which states that if a function is analytic in a simply connected region, then its integral over a closed contour is equal to 0. By applying this theorem to the function f(z) = sin(z) and using the Cauchy Integral Theorem, the Cauchy Integral Formula for sin(i) can be derived.

3. What is the significance of the Cauchy Integral Formula for sin(i)?

The Cauchy Integral Formula for sin(i) is significant because it allows us to calculate the value of a function at any point inside a closed contour, using only the values of the function on the contour. It is also widely used in complex analysis to prove other theorems and to calculate complex integrals.

4. Can the Cauchy Integral Formula for sin(i) be extended to other functions?

Yes, the Cauchy Integral Formula can be extended to other functions as long as they are analytic in the region of interest. For example, the formula can be extended to g(z) = cos(z) or h(z) = ez by replacing sin(z) with the respective function in the formula.

5. How is the Cauchy Integral Formula for sin(i) used in real-world applications?

The Cauchy Integral Formula for sin(i) has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used to calculate the electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism, to solve problems in fluid dynamics, and to analyze the behavior of systems in control theory. It is also used in the development of mathematical models for financial markets and in image processing techniques.