Cauchy Integral Formula Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of the integral \oint \frac{dz}{z^2 + z} = 0 for a closed contour with the condition abs(z) > 1. Two possible methods of solving this problem are suggested, one involving the use of Cauchy's integral theorem and the other involving a substitution and then applying the theorem.
Joshk80k

Homework Statement

[tex] \oint \frac{dz}{z^2 + z} = 0, C: abs(z) > 1 [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \oint \frac{f(z)}{z-z_0} dz = 2i\pi * f(z_0) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Under normal circumstances, I usually deal with these in the following way.

I say that F(z) = 1 (the value in the numerator) and I find the value that will make the denominator go to zero (in this case, 1 or 0).

Evaluating for F(z) = 1 and z_0 = 1, and plugging these values into the equation I provided, the answer comes out to be

[tex] 2i\pi [/tex]

Which is definitely not what the question was asking me to prove.

I am pretty sure that since we have the condition that abs(z) > 1, I am not allowed to pick the value of "1 or 0" for this problem. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Additionally, I was considering factoring out a z in the denominator and letting f(z) = 1/z, but I'm not sure that would help anything, or if that's even the correct way to go about doing this. If anyone could show me what to do when my values of z are restricted, I'd be very appreciative!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I will assume that you are being asked to prove that the integral is zero for any closed contour that satisfies |z| > 1.

If that is the case, then you may consider f(z) analytic in the outside of the contour, because [itex]lim_{z \rightarrow \infty}f(z)=0[/itex] and apply Cauchy's integral theorem directly.

Another is to perform the substitution w = 1/z and then apply the said theorem.

Related to Cauchy Integral Formula Problem

What is the Cauchy Integral Formula Problem?

The Cauchy Integral Formula Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the value of a complex integral using the Cauchy Integral Formula. This formula is used to calculate the value of a complex function at a specific point, by integrating the function along a closed contour.

What is the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is a formula in complex analysis that relates the value of a complex function at a point inside a closed contour to the values of the function on the contour. It is given by the equation f(z_0) = (1/2πi)∫(f(z)/(z-z_0))dz, where z_0 is the point of interest and the integral is taken along a closed contour containing z_0.

How is the Cauchy Integral Formula used to solve problems?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is a powerful tool for solving problems in complex analysis. It allows us to calculate the value of a complex integral using the values of the function on the contour, which can often be easier to calculate. It is especially useful for finding the values of analytic functions, which are functions that can be expressed as power series.

What are some common applications of the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is commonly used to solve problems in complex analysis, such as finding the values of analytic functions or calculating residues. It also has applications in physics, such as in the calculation of electric fields and in fluid dynamics.

What are some common mistakes when using the Cauchy Integral Formula?

One common mistake when using the Cauchy Integral Formula is using it for non-analytic functions. This formula only applies to analytic functions, so it is important to check if the function in question meets this criterion. Another common mistake is incorrectly choosing the contour of integration, which can lead to incorrect results. It is important to carefully choose a contour that encloses the point of interest and does not intersect any singularities of the function.