Cauchy Integral Extension Complex Integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses computing a contour integral for the circle lz+1l=1 in a counterclockwise direction. The integral involves using the extension of the Cauchy Integral Formula and evaluating the function f(z)=(z-1)^n at zo=-1. The conversation also raises questions about differentiating the function and evaluating it at (-1).
ryanj123

Homework Statement

Allow D to be the circle lz+1l=1, counterclockwise. For all positive n, compute the contour integral.

Homework Equations

int (z-1/z+1)^n dz

The Attempt at a Solution

I know to use the extension of the CIF.

Where int f(z)/(z-zo)^n+1 dz = 2(pi)i* (f^(n)(zo)/n!) ...

However, I'm unsure how to execute the integral for my answer to depend on n.

I made f(z)=(z-1)^n

Then,

Int ( f(z)/(z+1)^n) = 2(pi)i*(f^n(zo)/n!)

Evaluating

f(zo) at zo=-1

= (-2)^n

So..

2(pi)i*((-2)^n/n!)

I know I'm missing components of the derivative operator... but I'm not sure how to go about completing this.

I appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]f^{(n)}(z_0)=\left.\frac{{\rm d}^n f}{{\rm d} z^n}\right|_{z=z_0}\neq \left(f(z_0)\right)^n[/tex]

Donaldos said:
[tex]f^{(n)}(z_0)=\left.\frac{{\rm d}^n f}{{\rm d} z^n}\right|_{z=z_0}\neq \left(f(z_0)\right)^n[/tex]

I'm trying to go back...

Int ((z-1)/(z+1))^n dz

If f(z) = (z-1)^(n)

Then,
Int (f(z)/(z+1)^n)

Where zo=-1

So,
2(pi)i*f^(n)(-1)/n!

For any n>0

Is this sufficient to assume? Then for whichever n is used, f(z) can be differentiated the amount of times and evaluated at (-1) as needed.

ryanj123 said:
I'm trying to go back...

Int ((z-1)/(z+1))^n dz

If f(z) = (z-1)^(n)

Then,
Int (f(z)/(z+1)^n)

Where zo=-1

So,
2(pi)i*f^(n)(-1)/n!

For any n>0

Is this sufficient to assume? Then for whichever n is used, f(z) can be differentiated the amount of times and evaluated at (-1) as needed.

Good question!

Your problem seems to be in this part

[tex] \int = 2\pi i Res ( \frac {d^{n-1} } {dz^{n-1}} (z - 1)/n! ) [/tex]
// I am not completely sure about how to write the Residue part

So what is the derivate of (z-1)?
The second derivate?
The n'th derivate?

Related to Cauchy Integral Extension Complex Integrals

1. What is the Cauchy Integral Extension Complex Integral?

The Cauchy Integral Extension Complex Integral is a mathematical concept that extends the Cauchy Integral Theorem to complex integrals. It states that if a function is holomorphic on a simply connected domain, then the integral of that function along any closed curve within that domain is equal to 0.

2. What is the significance of Cauchy Integral Extension Complex Integrals?

Cauchy Integral Extension Complex Integrals have a number of important applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to calculate the values of complex integrals, which can be used to solve problems in areas such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. They also play a crucial role in the development of complex analysis and the study of functions of a complex variable.

3. How is the Cauchy Integral Extension Complex Integral calculated?

The Cauchy Integral Extension Complex Integral is calculated using the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem, which states that the value of a complex integral is equal to the value of a contour integral within the domain of holomorphy. This means that the integral can be evaluated using methods from real analysis, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

4. What are some common applications of Cauchy Integral Extension Complex Integrals?

Some common applications of Cauchy Integral Extension Complex Integrals include the calculation of residues, which are used to evaluate complex integrals, and the solution of boundary value problems in heat transfer and fluid mechanics. They are also used in the study of analytic functions and the evaluation of complex line integrals.

5. Are there any limitations to using Cauchy Integral Extension Complex Integrals?

While Cauchy Integral Extension Complex Integrals are a powerful tool in mathematics and physics, they do have some limitations. They can only be applied to holomorphic functions, which have a complex derivative at every point in the domain. They also require the curve of integration to be simply connected, meaning that it cannot cross over itself or have any holes in the domain.