Casimir force and cavity radiation.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the Casimir force and its relation to cavity radiation. The first speaker shares their method of calculating the force, which involves finding the difference in energy between the space with and without plates. They also ask if their use of the equation F=-dE/dx is correct. The second speaker suggests the use of cavity radiation to derive the Casimir force, but the first speaker is skeptical. They question the connection between cavity radiation and the Casimir effect and ask for clarification. The conversation ends with a mention of a book and paper that may provide more information on the topic. Overall, the conversation centers around the calculation and understanding of the Casimir force and its potential relationship to cavity radiation.
Sterj
I tried to calculate the casimir force. I need to know if the way I doing it is correct. So I note some steps:

1. I calculate the energy in the space without the plates
2. I calculate the energy between the two plates
And then I speculated. I thougt of taking the difference of one and two and set the energy in F=-dE/dx --> correct?

And second:
Someone told me that we can derive the casimir force by working with the cavity radiation. I think that can't actualy be true, is it? (If yes: what has cavity radiation to do with the Casimir effect?)

Thirdly:
Why does cavity radiation/black body radiation happen? My thoughts: The electromagnetic waves can only have certain wave lengths in the body and the probability of finding these em waves ("phonons") is not zero right out of the body because it can not be zero everywhere. Is that the reason of cavity radiation?

Physics news on Phys.org
? Can't somebody answer?

Check out section 5.10 from Kleinert's book:"Quantum Field Theory & Particle Physics".

Daniel.

thanks you both.

Similar treatment you can find in Itzykson & Zuber treatise...Choose whichever you prefer.

Daniel.

Related to Casimir force and cavity radiation.

1. What is the Casimir force?

The Casimir force is a physical phenomenon where two uncharged parallel plates are attracted to each other due to quantum fluctuations in the vacuum between them.

2. How is the Casimir force related to cavity radiation?

The Casimir force arises from the same quantum fluctuations that give rise to cavity radiation. In both cases, virtual particles are constantly popping in and out of existence, creating a force between the plates or emitting radiation.

3. What is the origin of the Casimir force?

The Casimir force is a result of the zero-point energy of the quantum vacuum. Due to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, there is always a non-zero energy associated with empty space, and this energy can manifest as a force between objects.

4. Can the Casimir force be observed in everyday life?

The Casimir force is very small and can only be observed in very small distances and with very sensitive instruments. However, it has been experimentally verified and has important implications in nanotechnology and microelectromechanical systems.

5. Is the Casimir force a long-range or short-range force?

The Casimir force is a short-range force, meaning it only acts over very small distances. This is due to the exponential decay of the force with distance. However, it can still have significant effects on objects at the nanoscale.