Cartesian Product of two sets?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to graph the cartesian product of two sets, A and B, with specific intervals and points. The attempt at a solution involves setting up the intervals on the x-axis and y-axis and graphing the points in each quadrant. Fine points such as the closeness of horizontal lines and the inclusion of edges and points are mentioned. The final graph correctly represents the cartesian product of the two sets.
DanielJackins

Homework Statement

I need to answer a bunch of topological questions based on the cartesian product of two sets, but I'm not entirely sure how to graph them out.

I have A = [1,2)U{3} and B = {1, (1/2), (1/3), ...}U[-2,-1). S = A x B, and I need the graph of S.

Could anyone help me with this?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my original "sketch" but I'm almost positive it is wrong. http://i.imgur.com/NqOSnkh.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Set up the interval [1,2) and the 3 along the x-axis. In a sense A is a set with 1 element -- a strange element but just one.

Set up the interval [-2,-1) along the y-axis.

I think each element of A X B will be those two intervals, plus the point (3,1/n). If that makes sense, it is easy enough to graph.

I'm sure you are closing in on this and you may be right. I am not sure. I am far from expert at this kind of thing, so you probably need a more reliable opinion.

You might look thru your class notes to see if anything similar was mentioned. Or perhaps one of the mentors would look this over.

DanielJackins said:
Would it be like this? I think I've got it.

http://i.imgur.com/TxF7bae.jpg
Yes, that's it. The box you have in the 2nd quadrant threw me off for a bit, but I see that this is not actually part of your graph.

Some fine points that your graph doesn't show:

The horizontal lines in the 1st quadrant get closer and closer together as the y values get closer to 0.
The points that you show in the 1st quadrant do the same thing.

Your graph shows (correctly) that the rectangular region in Q IV includes the left and bottom edges, but does not include the top and right edges.

Your graph also shows (correctly) that the vertical line segment in Q IV includes the lowest point, but not the highest one.

Likes 1 person

Related to Cartesian Product of two sets?

What is the Cartesian Product of two sets?

The Cartesian Product of two sets, denoted by A x B, is a mathematical operation that combines every element in set A with every element in set B to create a new set of ordered pairs.

How is the Cartesian Product calculated?

The Cartesian Product is calculated by taking each element in set A and pairing it with every element in set B. This process creates a new set of ordered pairs.

What is the difference between the Cartesian Product and the intersection of two sets?

The Cartesian Product combines elements from two sets to create a new set of ordered pairs, while the intersection of two sets is the set of elements that are common to both sets.

What is the relationship between the Cartesian Product and the cardinality of two sets?

The cardinality of the Cartesian Product of two sets is equal to the product of the cardinalities of the two individual sets. In other words, if set A has m elements and set B has n elements, the Cartesian Product A x B will have m x n elements.

How is the Cartesian Product useful in real-life applications?

The Cartesian Product has many real-life applications, such as in database management, data analysis, and statistics. It is also used in computer science and programming for operations such as matrix multiplication and generating combinations. Additionally, it is used in probability and combinatorics to calculate the number of possible outcomes in a given scenario.