Cart, Incline, Pulley, and a messed up Acceleration.

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem with calculating acceleration using a given formula and angle. After some troubleshooting, it is determined that the angle remains at 26 degrees and the correct formula to use is Fgx = mass x gravity x sin theta. The final calculation results in an acceleration of 0.7728.
Some_Thing
The question and my work can be seen in the image below:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/550/scan0001fgu.jpg

The problem is that I am getting around 1 for acceleration, while the answer is 0.77.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rock.freak667 said:
Upload the image here [URL]http://imageshack.us and paste the forum code so that we can see it and try to help you.

Oops, I was using a url from hotmail. It showed up fine for me, but I guess that was because I was logged in at the time.

Thanks.

The angle remains 26 and not 64. So Fgx = mass x gravity x sin theta where theta is 26 degrees.

math_04 said:
The angle remains 26 and not 64. So Fgx = mass x gravity x sin theta where theta is 26 degrees.

Fgx = mass x gravity x sin 26

Fgx = 3.6 x 9.8 x sin 26

Fgx = 15.465

This rounds off to 15.5 N, which is what I got.

NOTE: cos 64 = sin 26

You have got another force in the rope m2a.
Your equation should look something like this:

m2g+m2a+m1a=m1gsin26

a=(m1gsin26-m2g)/(m1+m2)
a=0.7728

Related to Cart, Incline, Pulley, and a messed up Acceleration.

1. What is the Cart, Incline, Pulley, and Acceleration Experiment?

The Cart, Incline, Pulley, and Acceleration Experiment is an experiment commonly used in physics to study the relationship between mass, force, and acceleration. It involves a cart on an inclined plane connected to a pulley system, with various weights added to the cart to measure its acceleration.

2. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the principles of Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

3. How is the acceleration of the cart calculated in this experiment?

The acceleration of the cart can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on the cart by its mass. This can be done by measuring the distance and time it takes for the cart to travel down the inclined plane, and using the formula a = (2d)/(t^2), where d is the distance and t is the time.

4. What can cause the acceleration of the cart to be inconsistent or "messed up"?

There are several factors that can cause the acceleration of the cart to be inconsistent or "messed up". These include friction between the cart and the inclined plane, air resistance, imperfections in the surface of the inclined plane, and errors in measurement.

5. How can the results of this experiment be applied in real-life situations?

The principles learned from this experiment can be applied in various real-life situations, such as understanding the motion of vehicles on inclined roads or the acceleration of objects in free fall. It can also be used to design and improve various machinery and equipment that rely on the relationship between mass, force, and acceleration.