Cars moving toward each other problem involving constant acceleration

In summary, two cars, one red and one green, are moving towards each other in adjacent lanes on an x axis. The red car has a constant velocity of 21.0 km/h and passes the green car at x = 47.5 m. When the red car has a constant velocity of 44.0 km/h, the cars pass each other at x = 76.6 m. By setting x = 0 at the xg = 240 point and using the equation s = ut + 1/2at^2, we can find the initial velocity and acceleration of the green car. After solving two simultaneous equations, the initial velocity is found to be 122.96 km/h and the acceleration is
PatrickR.
1. a red car and a green car, identical except for the color, move toward each other in adjacent lanes and parallel to an x axis. At time t = 0, the red car is at xr = 0 and the green car is at xg = 240 m. If the red car has a constant velocity of 21.0 km/h, the cars pass each other at x = 47.5 m, and if it has a constant velocity of 44.0 km/h, they pass each other at x = 76.6 m. What are (a) the initial velocity (in km/h) and (b) the acceleration of the green car?

So I find that if xr= 47.5m, then xg= 192.5m and in the second case xr=76.6m and xg=163.4m

so i find time in the 2 cases. 47.5e-3 km / 21km/hr and 76.6e-3km / 44km/hr

= .00226hr and .001741 hr respectively , so instantaneous velocity for green in case 1 is

192.5e-3km / .00226 hr = 85.177km/hr and 163.4e-3km / .001741 = 93.854km/hr

I use v= v0 + at to find that a= -16718km/hr^2 = -1.29m/s^2

I use the same equation again v= v0 + at to find v0 at the very beginning of the road.

93.854= v0 + (-16718.7km/hr^2)(.001741hr)

v0= 122.96km/hr

However, these answers are not correct so I would like to know what I am doing wrong. Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going to have to take a different approach to this problem.

What you've done in finding the 'instantaneous velocity' is actually found the average velocity over the time it takes from x_g to the point of crossing the red car -- but the car is accelerating!

You're absolutely right hmm... now to find a different approach.

Try setting x = 0 at the xg = 240 point... then in the following equation s will be the distances you worked out to crossing but will be negative

[tex]
s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at^2
[/tex]

You've worked out s and you know how long it takes to get to s, i.e. t, in two cases..

Hence you'll just have two simultaneous equations to solve

Related to Cars moving toward each other problem involving constant acceleration

1. What is the "cars moving toward each other" problem involving constant acceleration?

The "cars moving toward each other" problem involving constant acceleration is a physics problem that involves two cars starting from rest and accelerating towards each other at constant rates. The goal is to determine the time and distance at which the cars will meet.

2. How is acceleration calculated in this problem?

In this problem, acceleration is calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

3. What is the equation used to find the distance traveled by each car?

The equation used to find the distance traveled by each car is d = vit + (1/2)at^2, where d is the distance, vi is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration. This equation can be used for both cars, with the initial velocities and accelerations being opposite in direction.

4. How can I determine when and where the two cars will meet?

To determine when the two cars will meet, set the equations for distance traveled by each car equal to each other and solve for t. This will give you the time at which the two cars will meet. To find the location at which they will meet, plug the time into either of the distance equations to calculate the distance from the starting point for each car.

5. Can this problem be solved using the same equations if the cars have different accelerations?

Yes, the same equations can be used if the cars have different accelerations. In this case, you will need to set up two separate equations for the distance traveled by each car and then solve for the time and distance at which they will meet.