Kinematics Car acceleration Problem

In summary, a red car and a green car are moving towards each other on parallel lanes. The red car has a constant velocity of 20.0 km/h and passes the green car at 43.1 m or 76.9 m, depending on its velocity. To find the initial velocity and constant acceleration of the green car, the distance traveled by the green car in each case is needed. Using equation 3, the two unknowns can be solved for. However, more effort and attempt is required from the student.
hiineko

Homework Statement

In the figure here, a red car and a green car move toward each other in adjacent lanes and parallel to an x axis. At time t = 0, the red car is at xr = 0 and the green car is at xg = 223 m. If the red car has a constant velocity of 20.0 km/h, the cars pass each other at x = 43.1 m. On the other hand, if the red car has a constant velocity of 40.0 km/h, they pass each other atx = 76.9 m. What are (a) the initial velocity and (b) the (constant) acceleration of the green car? Include the signs.

Homework Equations

q8GGHtZ.png

Thank you and more power to physics forum!

Physics news on Phys.org
hiineko said:
In the figure here, a red car and a green car move toward each other in adjacent lanes and parallel to an x axis. At time t = 0, the red car is at xr = 0 and the green car is at xg = 223 m. If the red car has a constant velocity of 20.0 km/h, the cars pass each other at x = 43.1 m. On the other hand, if the red car has a constant velocity of 40.0 km/h, they pass each other atx = 76.9 m. What are (a) the initial velocity and (b) the (constant) acceleration of the green car? Include the signs.
So you have one car moving with uniform velocity , and the other with constant acceleration .

What have you tried until now ?

Can you find the time until passing in each case?
Then you've gleaned all the info required from the red car and can focus on the green only..

Qwertywerty said:
So you have one car moving with uniform velocity , and the other with constant acceleration .

What have you tried until now ?

At the moment sir we haven't tackled this lesson but the prof gave us this problem for advance studying so I'm just posting it here in physics forum in helping tackled this problem atm I thinking if I can use the 3rd formula then I'll plug values to get equation 1? Just my 2 cents

hiineko said:
At the moment sir we haven't tackled this lesson but the prof gave us this problem for advance studying so I'm just posting it here in physics forum in helping tackled this problem atm I thinking if I can use the 3rd formula then I'll plug values to get equation 1? Just my 2 cents
Consider the initial velocity of the green car as u , and it's acceleration as a .

So you have two unknowns . Do you know the distance that the car travels in the first and second case ? Use equation 3 .

Hope this helps .

Qwertywerty said:
Consider the initial velocity of the green car as u , and it's acceleration as a .

So you have two unknowns . Do you know the distance that the car travels in the first and second case ? Use equation 3 .

Hope this helps .
Will update you sir if I can find any shed of light in this problem thankyou!

Related to Kinematics Car acceleration Problem

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is car acceleration?

Car acceleration is the rate of change of the car's velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly the car's speed is increasing or decreasing.

3. How do you calculate car acceleration?

Car acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. It can also be calculated by using the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration and velocity are both measures of an object's motion, but they are different quantities. Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time.

5. How does acceleration affect a car's motion?

Acceleration affects a car's motion by changing its speed or direction. When a car accelerates, its speed increases or decreases depending on the direction of the acceleration. This can also cause the car to change direction if the acceleration is not in the same direction as its velocity.