Cars in mechanical and aerospace

In summary: AE's and ME's share a lot of the same curricula. I have seen plenty of situations in which the two would be interchangable. I am an ME that works in aerospace. Don't get too hung up on the degree title.Plenty of AEs are found in the automotive industry here in Australia, mostly in the field of aerodynamics but there's enough flexibility for them to work in fields like powertrain or chassis as well. The structure of most aerospace degrees here allows for work in the automotive and mechanical industries simply because there isn't enough work in the aerospace industry for all the graduates coming out. So, the short answer is yes, often as much as any ME with an equivalent level of experience
aeroeng212
I was wondering if anyone knows anything on this topic...

I know that Mechanical Engineers are found designing cars in the automobile industry, but does anyone know if aerospace engineers (with a degree in aerospace engineering as opposed to mechanical engineering) are qualified (and if they do or not) to design automobiles as well? If so, does anyone know what aspects of vehicle design these aerospace engineers are found in?

Thanks in advance for any help! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a bit of a crap shoot. I think a lot of it will depend on the company and the timing when one is looking for a job as well as the applicant. AE's and ME's share a lot of the same curricula. I have seen plenty of situations in which the two would be interchangable. I am an ME that works in aerospace. Don't get too hung up on the degree title.

Plenty of AEs are found in the automotive industry here in Australia, mostly in the field of aerodynamics but there's enough flexibility for them to work in fields like powertrain or chassis as well. The structure of most aerospace degrees here allows for work in the automotive and mechanical industries simply because there isn't enough work in the aerospace industry for all the graduates coming out. So, the short answer is yes, often as much as any ME with an equivalent level of experience in their respective field.

aeroeng212 said:
I was wondering if anyone knows anything on this topic...

I know that Mechanical Engineers are found designing cars in the automobile industry, but does anyone know if aerospace engineers (with a degree in aerospace engineering as opposed to mechanical engineering) are qualified (and if they do or not) to design automobiles as well? If so, does anyone know what aspects of vehicle design these aerospace engineers are found in?

Thanks in advance for any help! :biggrin:
Presumably, it would qualify you to build a Saab, but I only have their commercials to go by.

The commercial did make we wonder about this, though. I would guess they're aeronautical experience would help in designing the body shape, but I wonder how much of the rest carries over.

Related to Cars in mechanical and aerospace

What is the difference between mechanical and aerospace engineering?

Mechanical engineering focuses on the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems, including cars. Aerospace engineering, on the other hand, deals with the design and development of aircraft and spacecraft.

How are cars designed and built?

Cars are designed using computer-aided design (CAD) software, which allows engineers to create detailed 3D models of the vehicle. After the design stage, cars are built using various manufacturing processes, such as stamping, welding, and assembly.

What role do materials play in the construction of cars?

Materials play a crucial role in the construction of cars, as they determine the strength, weight, and overall performance of the vehicle. Common materials used in cars include steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber.

How do mechanical and aerospace engineering principles apply to cars?

Mechanical and aerospace engineering principles are essential in the design and development of cars. These principles are used to ensure that the vehicle is structurally sound, aerodynamic, and efficient in terms of energy consumption.

What advancements are being made in the field of cars in mechanical and aerospace?

Advancements are constantly being made in the field of cars in mechanical and aerospace, including the development of electric and autonomous vehicles, as well as improvements in fuel efficiency and aerodynamics. Additionally, new materials and manufacturing processes are being explored to make cars lighter and more sustainable.