Carnot Cycle Use: Understand When to Apply

In summary: Carnot cycle can be used to determine the equilibrium vapor pressure of a material. He said that it's a really cute idea, and that the way that the effect of temperature on equilibrium vapor pressure is usually determined in Thermo courses is not this way.
RingNebula57
I saw a problem for which I don't really understand the idea of the solution. This is what it says:
The vaporization latent heat for water (at 100 deg C) under normal pressure (101325 pa) is 2,3*10^6. What is the saturated vapor pressure for water at 105 deg C?
And the solution says that we have to consider a Carnot cycle in which the isotherms are at 100 deg C and 105 deg C, and the adiabats transform the water from water to vapor and vice-versa. And so ,expressing the efficency for the Carnot cyle as W/Q=1-T1/T2, where T1=100 deg C and T2=105 deg C , and saying that Q=(Mass of vapour)* ( latent heat of vaporization) and W=(delta)p*(delta)V, where (delta) V is the volume of the vapour and approximately equat to (m*R*T2)/(molar mass of water) form the ideal gas law , we can obtain (delta)p ,and then the final pressure P final= (delta)p + p, where p is the normal atmospheric pressure.

I am not stuck with the calcultion of this problem. I just don't understant why do we have to think of a Carnot cycle in a situation like this. When do we have to look at a system like at a Carnot cycle?

Thank you!

Science news on Phys.org
RingNebula57 said:
I saw a problem for which I don't really understand the idea of the solution. This is what it says:
The vaporization latent heat for water (at 100 deg C) under normal pressure (101325 pa) is 2,3*10^6. What is the saturated vapor pressure for water at 105 deg C?
And the solution says that we have to consider a Carnot cycle in which the isotherms are at 100 deg C and 105 deg C, and the adiabats transform the water from water to vapor and vice-versa. And so ,expressing the efficency for the Carnot cyle as W/Q=1-T1/T2, where T1=100 deg C and T2=105 deg C , and saying that Q=(Mass of vapour)* ( latent heat of vaporization) and W=(delta)p*(delta)V, where (delta) V is the volume of the vapour and approximately equat to (m*R*T2)/(molar mass of water) form the ideal gas law , we can obtain (delta)p ,and then the final pressure P final= (delta)p + p, where p is the normal atmospheric pressure.

I am not stuck with the calcultion of this problem. I just don't understant why do we have to think of a Carnot cycle in a situation like this. When do we have to look at a system like at a Carnot cycle?

Thank you!
Someone figured out that, for this particular kind of problem, the Carnot cycle could be used as a "vehicle" for determining the effect of temperature on the equilibrium vapor pressure of a material. It is really a cute idea. This is not the way that the effect of temperature on equilibrium vapor pressure is usually determined in Thermo courses (i.e., the so-called Clausius Clapeyron equation).

Chet

Likes RingNebula57

Related to Carnot Cycle Use: Understand When to Apply

1. What is the Carnot Cycle and how does it work?

The Carnot Cycle is a thermodynamic cycle that describes the most efficient way to convert heat into work. It consists of four reversible processes: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression.

2. When should the Carnot Cycle be used?

The Carnot Cycle is used to determine the maximum efficiency of heat engines and refrigerators. It is also used as a theoretical benchmark for comparing the efficiency of real-world systems.

3. What are the limitations of the Carnot Cycle?

The Carnot Cycle assumes that all processes are reversible, which is not possible in real-world systems. It also does not account for energy losses due to friction, heat transfer, and other inefficiencies.

4. How is the efficiency of the Carnot Cycle calculated?

The efficiency of the Carnot Cycle is calculated by dividing the work output by the heat input. This can also be expressed as the difference between the hot and cold reservoir temperatures.

5. Can the Carnot Cycle be applied to all heat engines and refrigerators?

The Carnot Cycle can only be applied to idealized systems that operate between two heat reservoirs at different temperatures. Real-world systems may have different operating conditions and thus cannot be accurately described by the Carnot Cycle.