Carnot Cycle Question: Heat Transfer and Pressure Changes Explained

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the Carnot Cycle and the process of isothermal and adiabatic reactions. The question pertains to the relationship between volume, pressure, and heat in each stage of the cycle. The expert summarizes that there are misconceptions about the processes and explains the correct understanding of the changes in volume, pressure, and heat in each stage of the cycle. The original question is answered and the person asking the question thanks the expert.
max0005

Homework Statement

Dear All,

I have a question regarding the Carnot Cycle:

400px-Carnot_cycle_p-V_diagram.svg.png

(The image is taken from Wikipedia, I hope that is not a problem... In case it is I will change it.)

Points one to two are an isothermal reaction. The gas, kept at constant temperature, is expanding, the work done by the gas is positive, the volume is increasing and, consequently, the pressure is decreasing.

Points two to three are an adiabatic reaction. There is basically no work done either on or from the gas. However, as there still is a small increase in volume but no heat exchange with the outside there will be a significant decrease in pressure. (Question: Is such a small change in volume in an adiabatic expansions able to create such a change in pressure?)

Points three to four are an isothermal compression. Work is done against the gas (Work of the gas is negative) but pressure remains constant. For that to occur, I believe that heat should be flowing out of the system? How is that happening? Theoretically by compressing a gas both its pressure and its internal energy should be rising, but that doesn't seem to be the case. How is heat being "exported" such that the pressure can remain low enough for the work needed to compress the gas to be sufficiently low?

Points four to one are a second adiabatic compression. A small compression is applied but as heat is no longer being removed pressure is increasing. Again, the work done on the gas is negligible.

My question is the one stated in the third paragraph: How is heat being "exported" such that the pressure can remain low enough for the work needed to compress the gas to be sufficiently low?

Thanks in advance! :D

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have a lot of misconceptions.
max0005 said:

Homework Statement

Dear All,

I have a question regarding the Carnot Cycle:

400px-Carnot_cycle_p-V_diagram.svg.png

(The image is taken from Wikipedia, I hope that is not a problem... In case it is I will change it.)

Points one to two are an isothermal reaction. The gas, kept at constant temperature, is expanding, the work done by the gas is positive, the volume is increasing and, consequently, the pressure is decreasing.

Points two to three are an adiabatic reaction. There is basically no work done either on or from the gas. However, as there still is a small increase in volume but no heat exchange with the outside there will be a significant decrease in pressure. (Question: Is such a small change in volume in an adiabatic expansions able to create such a change in pressure?)
If there is a change in volume, there is work being done on or by the gas. Since Q=0 for an adiabatic process, the change in internal energy is equal to the work done on the gas.
Points three to four are an isothermal compression. Work is done against the gas (Work of the gas is negative) but pressure remains constant. For that to occur, I believe that heat should be flowing out of the system? How is that happening? Theoretically by compressing a gas both its pressure and its internal energy should be rising, but that doesn't seem to be the case. How is heat being "exported" such that the pressure can remain low enough for the work needed to compress the gas to be sufficiently low?
How do you get that the pressure is constant? From the diagram, you can clearly see it's not constant. Also, I'm not sure why you think heat can't flow out of the system. The gas is being compressed, so the work done on the gas is adding energy to the system. Since the process is isothermic, the internal energy of the gas isn't changing, and all of the energy added by the work must simultaneously be leaving the system via heat loss.
Points four to one are a second adiabatic compression. A small compression is applied but as heat is no longer being removed pressure is increasing. Again, the work done on the gas is negligible.
How are you getting that the work is negligible?
My question is the one stated in the third paragraph: How is heat being "exported" such that the pressure can remain low enough for the work needed to compress the gas to be sufficiently low?

Thanks in advance! :D

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, got it! Thanks! :D

Related to Carnot Cycle Question: Heat Transfer and Pressure Changes Explained

What is the Carnot Cycle?

The Carnot Cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the most efficient process for converting heat energy into work. It was developed by French physicist Nicolas Léonard Sadi Carnot in the 19th century.

What are the four stages of the Carnot Cycle?

The Carnot Cycle consists of four stages: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression. These stages represent the different processes involved in the conversion of heat into work.

Why is the Carnot Cycle considered to be the most efficient cycle?

The Carnot Cycle is considered to be the most efficient because it operates between two temperatures, a high temperature source and a low temperature sink. This allows for the maximum conversion of heat energy into work, without any energy loss.

What is the significance of the Carnot Cycle in thermodynamics?

The Carnot Cycle is significant in thermodynamics because it serves as a theoretical model for the maximum efficiency that can be achieved in any heat engine. It also helps to understand the fundamental principles of energy conversion and the relationship between heat and work.

Can the Carnot Cycle be applied in real-world scenarios?

While the Carnot Cycle is a theoretical concept, its principles can be applied in real-world scenarios. Many modern heat engines, such as gas turbines and steam engines, are designed to operate close to the Carnot Cycle in order to maximize efficiency and minimize energy loss.