Carnot Cycle help - Engine temp reservoirs

The difference between these two temperatures is used in the Carnot cycle efficiency equation. In summary, the person is seeking help with determining the efficiency of a motorcycle engine using the Carnot cycle, but is having trouble finding the temperatures for the hot and cold reservoirs. The hot reservoir temperature is usually the combustion temperature and the low temperature is where the gas exits the useful part of the engine, and the difference between these two temperatures is used in the efficiency equation.
Big Drop
Hi,

I need some help concerning the Carnot cycle [i've searched, but what i needed didn't come up]. I am trying to work out the efficiency of a 4 or 2 stroke motorcyle engine. [car engine, it doesn't matter really]. But I'm having some difficulty finding temperatures for the hot and cold reservoirs. I've searched the internet for a while...but still can''t come up with anything.

If anyone has any idea please help!

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Big Drop said:
Hi,

I need some help concerning the Carnot cycle [i've searched, but what i needed didn't come up]. I am trying to work out the efficiency of a 4 or 2 stroke motorcyle engine. [car engine, it doesn't matter really]. But I'm having some difficulty finding temperatures for the hot and cold reservoirs. I've searched the internet for a while...but still can''t come up with anything.

The hot reservoir temp is typically the combustion temperature, and the low temperature is the temperature at which the gas leaves the useful part of the engine.

Hello,

I understand your struggle in finding the temperatures for the hot and cold reservoirs in the Carnot cycle. The Carnot cycle is a theoretical model that operates between two heat reservoirs, one at a high temperature (TH) and one at a low temperature (TC). In order to calculate the efficiency of an engine using the Carnot cycle, you will need to know the temperatures of the reservoirs.

One way to determine these temperatures is by looking at the operating temperatures of the engine itself. For example, the hot reservoir could be the temperature of the engine's combustion chamber, and the cold reservoir could be the temperature of the surrounding air or the engine's cooling system.

Another way to determine the temperatures is by using the ideal gas law, which relates temperature, pressure, and volume. By measuring the pressure and volume of the engine at different points in the cycle, you can calculate the temperature of the gas within the engine and use that as the temperature of the reservoirs.

It is important to note that the efficiency of a real engine will not be equal to the efficiency of a Carnot cycle, as there are always losses and inefficiencies in real-world systems. However, the Carnot cycle can still serve as a useful theoretical model for understanding the principles of heat engines.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Carnot Cycle help - Engine temp reservoirs

1. What is the Carnot cycle?

The Carnot cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the most efficient way to convert heat energy into mechanical work. It consists of four reversible processes: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression.

2. How does the Carnot cycle work?

The Carnot cycle works by using a heat engine to convert heat energy from a high-temperature reservoir into mechanical work. This is achieved through a series of steps that involve expanding and compressing a working fluid, such as a gas, while maintaining a constant temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs.

3. What is the role of temperature in the Carnot cycle?

Temperature plays a crucial role in the Carnot cycle as it determines the efficiency of the cycle. The greater the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, the higher the efficiency of the cycle. This is because the Carnot cycle operates on the principle that heat naturally flows from a higher temperature to a lower temperature.

4. How does the Carnot cycle relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The Carnot cycle is based on the second law of thermodynamics, which states that heat cannot spontaneously flow from a colder body to a hotter body. The Carnot cycle also illustrates the concept of entropy, as the efficiency of the cycle is limited by the amount of energy that is lost to the surroundings in the form of heat.

5. Why is the Carnot cycle considered the most efficient cycle?

The Carnot cycle is considered the most efficient cycle because it operates at the maximum possible efficiency for a heat engine. This is due to the reversible nature of the cycle and the fact that it operates between two reservoirs at different temperatures. Any real-world heat engine will have lower efficiency due to factors such as friction and heat loss, but the Carnot cycle serves as a theoretical benchmark for the maximum possible efficiency.