Careers using pure mathematics

In summary, Michael Freedman from Microsoft came to talk about the significance of Topology in Quantum Computing and advised that if you are at the top of your field, studying Topology is a good option.
Zoe-b
Hi,
Just wanted to know if any of you guys had any useful advice with regards to careers from a maths degree. I am in my second year of a integrated masters (in the UK) and would be open to further study. I am doing well academically so far (top 15% of my uni, which is prob 2nd best in UK), but finding that I really have very little idea of what I want to do afterwards. I have considered going into finance or consulting but so far have not been sucessful in any of the things I have applied for (eg easter internships) and perhaps this is because my heart isn't in it. I love pure maths.. I'm starting to get some choice in my course and have chosen all pure modules with the exception of probability and statistics. I have been thinking for a while that I would love to do cryptography but a) I don't actually know that much number theory yet so I don't know if I would be any good(!) and b) it seems a very niche area, probably too small to pin all my job hopes on. My professors definitely aren't too much help, on discussing my course choices I said I wanted to do at least some things that would be useful and his opinion was that I wasn't studying maths to be useful. Which I guess is true, but I'd also like to be employed..

Does anyone have ideas of jobs that actually use pure mathematics? Or know if there is much opportunity for research in this area? I would also consider becoming an academic but again feel it is too early to know whether I am actually good enough for this. I love my degree though and would willingly take lower pay for a job that might actually use some of the stuff I'm doing.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm. This guy Michael Freedman from Microsoft came to my school to talk about the significance of Topology in Quantum Computing. Regretfully I missed the lecture, so I don't have much more information than that. If you're at the 2nd best program in the UK it sounds like something like this might be realistic for you.

Number theory is probably a must if you want a career in pure mathematics. Don't shy away from cryptography, either. Even if you don't get involved in that, many of the principles of cryptography apply to other fields, such as data compression.

I do intend to study Number Theory- I've taken it as an option this year and my courses have worked out so its the only course I'm taking that term, which should give me time to read extra around the subject. Its good to know there are other jobs that could use the same skills as cryptography.. I guess I just have to keep learning and researching stuff.

I can definitely relate to your struggle in finding a career path that aligns with your passion for pure mathematics. It's great to hear that you are excelling academically and have a strong interest in cryptography. While it may seem like a niche area, there are actually many job opportunities in this field, especially with the increasing need for data security in various industries. In addition to cryptography, there are also many other areas within pure mathematics that have practical applications, such as operations research, data analysis, and mathematical modeling.

In terms of research opportunities, there is definitely a demand for pure mathematicians in academia and industry. Many universities and research institutions have departments or centers focused on pure mathematics, and there are also opportunities for collaboration with other disciplines, such as computer science and engineering. Additionally, many companies in industries such as finance, technology, and healthcare are always looking for individuals with strong mathematical skills to help with data analysis and problem-solving.

I would also encourage you to explore internships or summer programs in areas that interest you, as this can give you a better idea of what a career in that field would be like. Don't be discouraged by rejection, as it is common to face challenges in finding the right fit for your skills and interests. Keep pursuing opportunities and networking with professionals in the field to gain more insight and advice.

Overall, there are many career paths that utilize pure mathematics, and with your passion and determination, I have no doubt that you will find a fulfilling and rewarding job in this field. Keep exploring and don't be afraid to take risks and try new things. Best of luck to you!

Related to Careers using pure mathematics

1. What types of careers can I pursue with a degree in pure mathematics?

There are a variety of careers available for those with a degree in pure mathematics, including roles in finance, data science, computer programming, cryptography, and research.

2. Is a degree in pure mathematics in high demand in the job market?

Yes, there is a high demand for individuals with a strong background in pure mathematics. Many industries, such as technology and finance, rely heavily on mathematical analysis and problem-solving skills.

3. What skills are important for a career in pure mathematics?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are essential for a career in pure mathematics. Other important skills include attention to detail, critical thinking, and the ability to work with complex data and equations.

4. Can I work in a research-oriented career with a degree in pure mathematics?

Yes, a degree in pure mathematics can lead to a career in research. Many universities and research institutions have opportunities for mathematicians to conduct research in areas such as number theory, geometry, and topology.

5. Are there opportunities for advancement in a career using pure mathematics?

Yes, there are opportunities for advancement in a career using pure mathematics. With experience and advanced education, you can move into leadership roles, such as a research team lead or a senior data analyst. You can also pursue a graduate degree to further advance your career options.