Careers in science for the undecided?

In summary, the person is a high school junior who had always planned on becoming a doctor, but now has doubts about this decision due to the heavy debt of medical school. They are considering other science-related careers and are seeking advice from others who have been in the same situation. It is mentioned that pre-med students carry a heavy course load, but any undergraduate major can qualify for medical school as long as they take the required pre-med courses. The conversation also includes a personal anecdote about a student trying to enter a library without their ID card and the importance of remembering that a medical education is meant to lead to a career, not just an education.
Adriane
As of now I'm a high school junior, and for most of my life I had the mindset that I would work towards becoming a doctor. More recently, that decision has been faltering and I've become very unsure of this. I was going to become a pre-med, but I don't want to jump in when I'm having so many doubts. The medical school debt weighs heavier on me than the many years of training does. I know for sure that I want a career in a science field, I'm just not sure becoming a pre-med is right anymore, but I can always test the waters and maybe change my major if I have to. Biology and anatomy have always been my favorite/best subjects and I guess what I'm asking is, are there any other people out there who have been in the same boat as me and have found a solution? Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find your passion, don't worry about the money. Keep things simple and clear, don't complicate it with financing. You have four years of college to decide what you want to do when you graduate. Sometimes what we think now is totally relevant to what actually windup doing.

Premeds major in biology first which means you might decide to becom a vet instead or a biologist. There are still many avenues to travel that relate to medicine but aren't being a physician.

Likes Adriane
You're smart to think twice about the debt burden of a medical education, but be sure to also consider the considerable salary medical doctors earn.

You don't have to make any changes in your studies right now, since many STEM fields require the same courses in the first year or two of college. So use this time to investigate careers that interest you. Contact local chapters of professional organizations (such as the American Chemical Society, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, American Society for Microbiology, etc.) and ask if you can job shadow someone for a few hours.

Likes Adriane
No reason to do pre-med in that case. A lot of people do biochemistry or biomedical engineering. I know a guy from my math graduate program who left and got into medical school.

http://www.oswego.edu/academics/colleges_and_departments/departments/biology/faculty/mackenzie/homepage/advising/Pre-health_Careers/major_admission_data.html

Likes Adriane
homeomorphic said:
No reason to do pre-med in that case. A lot of people do biochemistry or biomedical engineering. I know a guy from my math graduate program who left and got into medical school.

http://www.oswego.edu/academics/colleges_and_departments/departments/biology/faculty/mackenzie/homepage/advising/Pre-health_Careers/major_admission_data.html
Good point. At least in the US, you can choose any undergraduate major and still be qualified for medical school, *if* you take the required pre-med courses.

(True story)
When I was an engineering student at Johns Hopkins, (this was about 25 years ago) we were having problems with some slacker idiot calling in bomb threats to the library. The library had campus guards there and they were checking everyone who entered the library for faculty or student ID cards. One student apparently forgot his wallet in the dorm. He was being denied entry into the library.

His response? "Sir, I tell you, I AM a Hopkins student! Who else BUT a Hopkins student would be trying to get into the library on a Friday Evening?" The guard let him in.

Just know that pre-med students carry a heavy course load. They always have. Personally, I look at this sort of load as a kind of educational hazing in an attempt to limit the unmotivated slackers from becoming medical doctors. I have my doubts about the efficacy of this approach, but I don't have any better suggestions. Unfortunately, I have known and dealt with a number of very well educated idiots, and this includes a few quack "doctors."

Just remember that a medical education is supposed to lead you toward an ultimate application. The education is not an end in itself. Many get lost in the educational part of this endeavor and forget that they actually have to do something with it.

JakeBrodskyPE said:
(True story)
When I was an engineering student at Johns Hopkins, (this was about 25 years ago) we were having problems with some slacker idiot calling in bomb threats to the library. The library had campus guards there and they were checking everyone who entered the library for faculty or student ID cards. One student apparently forgot his wallet in the dorm. He was being denied entry into the library.

His response? "Sir, I tell you, I AM a Hopkins student! Who else BUT a Hopkins student would be trying to get into the library on a Friday Evening?" The guard let him in.

Just know that pre-med students carry a heavy course load. They always have. Personally, I look at this sort of load as a kind of educational hazing in an attempt to limit the unmotivated slackers from becoming medical doctors. I have my doubts about the efficacy of this approach, but I don't have any better suggestions. Unfortunately, I have known and dealt with a number of very well educated idiots, and this includes a few quack "doctors."

Just remember that a medical education is supposed to lead you toward an ultimate application. The education is not an end in itself. Many get lost in the educational part of this endeavor and forget that they actually have to do something with it.

Thank you for this.

Related to Careers in science for the undecided?

1. What are some career options in the field of science for someone who is undecided?

There are many career options in the field of science for those who are undecided. Some popular choices include research scientists, science educators, science writers, science policy analysts, and laboratory technicians.

2. What skills are important for a career in science?

Some important skills for a career in science include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, communication, and a strong background in math and science. Additionally, it is important to have a curiosity and passion for learning and discovery.

3. Can I pursue a career in science with a non-science background?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a career in science with a non-science background. Many science fields, such as science writing and science policy, value individuals with diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Additionally, there are opportunities for individuals with non-science backgrounds to pursue further education and training in specific scientific fields.

4. How can I gain experience in the field of science if I am still undecided?

One way to gain experience in the field of science is through internships or volunteer opportunities. These can provide hands-on experience and help you determine which areas of science interest you the most. You can also attend career fairs and networking events to learn more about different science careers and gain insights from professionals in the field.

5. How important is a higher degree for a career in science?

The importance of a higher degree for a career in science depends on the specific field and career path you are interested in. Some science careers, such as research scientists, typically require advanced degrees such as a Master's or PhD. However, there are also many science careers that only require a Bachelor's degree or even less, such as laboratory technicians. It is important to research the specific requirements and expectations for your desired science career.