Careers in Industry with Some Physics (Another EE, Physics Grad. Degree Thread)

In summary, you have identified several industries that meet your criteria for a career, including semiconductors, medical technologies, telecommunications, solar photovoltaics, and the financial industry. To establish a career in any of these industries, it is recommended to pursue a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering and/or Applied Physics, with a possible focus on energy engineering. You may also want to consider a dual degree program to gain a broader range of skills and knowledge. Best of luck in your pursuit!
DownAndOut
Hi, all. I graduated with a bachelor’s degree in physics last spring from a top ten U.S. school and I’m currently looking into graduate programs. My goal is to have a career in an industry that satisfies these criteria

1. Produces practical, socially beneficial results
2. Involves at least some physics thinking (as opposed to “by-the-book”, rote engineering)
3. Has some job security
4. Pays decently (after years of educational grind I’d like to not have to worry about money)
5. Is in the Pacific Northwest, Colorado or around those places (I’d like to live close to family)
6. Doesn’t force me to move frequently (I don’t like having to make new friends every 3 years…)

I’ve concluded that a career in academia doesn’t satisfy criteria 3, 4 and 6. I guess this leaves me with industry and government labs. As far as I’ve been able to tell, the following industries satisfy some of these criteria

a. Semiconductors and related devices (weak on criterion 3 due to outsourcing, strong on criterion 5)
b. Medical technologies, in particular imaging devices and plasmonics (maybe weak on criterion 5, I’m not sure. I think due to regulations a lot medical technology stuff has to be done in the U.S. so I think criterion 3 is strong. )
c. Telecommunications, in particular RF devices and satellite work
d. Solar photovoltaics (currently weak on criterion 3 due to market volatility, in the future it might still be weak due to outsourcing, but if solar PVs become financial feasible it’ll be very high-growth, so I’m not sure…)
e. The financial industry, to some extent (weak on criterion 2, maybe weak on criterion 1…)

My questions are: is my thinking correct, and, if so, which graduate degrees should I pursue to establish a career in one of these industries? I’m thinking about getting a master’s in electrical engineering and a master’s in AMO or condensed matter physics. I think the master’s in EE would guarantee me entry into the industries a-d and the master’s in physics would make me better able to adapt as these industries evolve. For example, there are apparently many new biomedical applications for plasmonics.

If you’ve gotten this far, thank you very much for your time! Finally, what are your thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have I missed any other industries that would satisfy my criteria? Are there any other graduate degrees you think I should pursue? Your thinking is spot on! You have correctly identified the industries that would best suit your criteria. To establish a career in any of these industries, I recommend pursuing a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering and/or Applied Physics. For semiconductors and related devices, you should focus on electrical engineering. For medical technologies, it may be beneficial to pursue a dual degree in Applied Physics and Electrical Engineering. For telecommunications, a Master's in Electrical Engineering is essential. For solar photovoltaics, a dual degree in Applied Physics and Electrical Engineering would be beneficial. Finally, for the financial industry, a Master's in Applied Mathematics or Statistics could be beneficial. In addition to these fields, you may also want to explore the field of energy engineering, as this can encompass many of the industries you listed. Many schools offer a Master's program in Energy Engineering that focuses on renewable energy sources, such as solar photovoltaics, and energy efficiency technologies. This could be an excellent way to combine your physics background with practical industry applications. Good luck!

Related to Careers in Industry with Some Physics (Another EE, Physics Grad. Degree Thread)

1. What kind of job opportunities are available for someone with a physics and EE background in the industry?

With a background in both physics and electrical engineering, there are various job opportunities available in the industry. You can work in fields such as telecommunications, renewable energy, aerospace, defense, and electronics, among others.

2. How can a physics graduate transition into a career in industry?

One way to transition into a career in industry is to gain relevant experience through internships or co-op programs during your studies. You can also network with professionals in the industry and attend career fairs to learn about job opportunities.

3. What skills are important for success in an industry career with a physics and EE background?

Some important skills for success in an industry career with a physics and EE background include problem-solving, analytical thinking, strong mathematical skills, technical proficiency, and the ability to work in a team and communicate effectively.

4. Can a physics graduate work in an industry role that is not related to physics or EE?

Yes, a physics graduate can work in various roles in the industry that may not be directly related to their degree. Some transferable skills such as critical thinking, data analysis, and project management make physics graduates valuable in fields like finance, consulting, and information technology.

5. What are the potential salary and career growth opportunities for someone with a physics and EE background in the industry?

The salary and career growth opportunities for someone with a physics and EE background in the industry can vary depending on the specific job and industry. However, in general, these professionals have high earning potential and opportunities for career advancement, especially with relevant experience and advanced degrees.