Career as a satelite engineer?

In summary, the conversation discussed various colleges for satellite engineering, including Cal Poly, Stanford, and Michigan. It was recommended to look for programs that have CubeSat as a research project. There was also a brief discussion about the cost and parts of building a mini satellite like a CubeSat. It was mentioned that there is no specific degree for satellite engineering, but instead students can pursue aerospace engineering with a focus on space. The top schools in this field were listed as Caltech and MIT, with other notable schools including Berkeley, Cornell, and Stanford. It was also mentioned that a Master's degree may be beneficial in this field and that finding a firm with a student coop program could help with gaining experience and getting a foot in the door. The conversation
Jewish_Vulcan
I would like some good colleges for satelite engineering also can I have a job description including the salary of a satelite engineer.

Physics news on Phys.org
jew_vulcan said:
I would like some good colleges for satelite engineering also can I have a job description including the salary of a satelite engineer.

Top three that come to my mind are:

Cal Poly
Stanford
Michigan

Look for programs that have CubeSat (Amateur student built satellites) as research projects.

clope023 said:
Top three that come to my mind are:

Cal Poly
Stanford
Michigan

Look for programs that have CubeSat (Amateur student built satellites) as research projects.

CUbesat I did just look that up and it looks fascinating. What would be the price to make a mini satelite like a cubesat. Where would you suggest I get the parts for the cube. Can I use it as a satelite.

jew_vulcan said:
I need to rant a bit first.

It's satellite, not satelite. You will need to learn to write well if you want to be a satellite engineer. It's a coffee stain on the flip-down trays kind of thing. A president of an airplane company went a bit ballistic when he saw coffee stains on the flip-down trays in one of his company's commercial aircraft. He looked at those stains from the perspective of a passenger who might think, "If the airline can't properly maintain the stuff that I can see, what does that mean about how they maintain the stuff I can't see, such as the engines and wings?" Those stains on the flip-down trays mean passengers looking for different airline on their next flights.

If you can't spell satellite correctly, why would a potential employer want you onboard? Satellite engineering is a very precise and very careful business, and your key misspelling exhibits the opposite of those traits. A potential employer will see that key misspelling and might think, "If he doesn't care to spell satellite correctly, how sloppy is his engineering and mathematics? Hiring him might mean losing a hundred million dollar satellite."

End rant.There is no such degree as satellite engineering. The field is too specialized to merit its own degree program. What you want to study most likely is aerospace engineering, with a focus on the space side of aerospace. The top two schools in this area are Caltech and MIT. MIT is *the* top school in many technical disciplines, but not in aerospace. It's second best. That's Caltech. Caltech owns the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. There is no better playground for a budding satellite engineer than JPL. Other top-notch schools include (listed alphabetically) Berkeley, Cornell, Embry-Riddle, Georgia Tech, Princeton, Purdue, Stanford, Texas A&M, University of Illinois, University of Colorado, University of Texas, and Virginia Tech.

Last edited:
jew_vulcan said:
CUbesat I did just look that up and it looks fascinating. What would be the price to make a mini satelite like a cubesat. Where would you suggest I get the parts for the cube. Can I use it as a satelite.

You seem to be asking random questions like a 14yo. I suggest you stop & think far more clearly about your questions & responses.

D H said:
There is no such degree as satellite engineering. The field is to specialized to merit its own degree program. What you want to study most likely is aerospace engineering, with a focus on the space side of aerospace. The top two schools in this area are Caltech and MIT. MIT is *the* top school in many technical disciplines, but not in aerospace. It's second best. That's Caltech. Caltech owns the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. There is no better playground for a budding satellite engineer than JPL. Other top-notch schools include (listed alphabetically) Berkeley, Cornell, Embry-Riddle, Georgia Tech, Princeton, Purdue, Stanford, Texas A&M, University of Illinois, University of Colorado, University of Texas, and Virginia Tech.

I find it amusing that you went on a rant about mispelling when you typed "to" instead of the correct spelling of the word "too." :-p

StatGuy2000 said:
I find it amusing that you went on a rant about mispelling when you typed "to" instead of the correct spelling of the word "too." :-p
Muphry's law strikes again!

Gosh, this is a rough crowd. The real question is what to study if one were interested in building spacecraft .

Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering would be a good start. Thermodynamics is another. And don't forget about fluid dynamics. The latter has a lot to do with how chemical rocket engines work. Furthermore, to be effective at getting work in this field, I strongly suggest you look into at getting a Master's Degree.

That said, these courses are common in any Engineering curriculum. So the question I would pursue is how to get your foot in the door with a firm that builds spacecraft . Look around at firms in this business. Find out where they are, and then look for engineering schools nearby. See which firms have student coop programs.

and then... Good Luck! (this is a very competitive business, so you're going to need a bit of luck to get anywhere).

Related to Career as a satelite engineer?

1. What does a satellite engineer do?

A satellite engineer designs, builds, and maintains satellites and their systems. This includes designing the spacecraft's structure, propulsion systems, communication systems, and other necessary components.

2. What education is required to become a satellite engineer?

Most satellite engineers have at least a bachelor's degree in engineering, physics, or a related field. Some may also have a master's or doctoral degree in a specialized area such as aerospace engineering or satellite systems engineering.

3. What skills are important for a career as a satellite engineer?

A strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles is essential for a career as a satellite engineer. Other important skills include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and a thorough understanding of satellite technology and systems.

4. What types of industries or organizations employ satellite engineers?

Satellite engineers can work in a variety of industries and organizations, including government agencies, aerospace companies, telecommunications companies, and research institutions. They may also work for satellite manufacturers or for companies that use satellite technology in their products or services.

5. What is the job outlook for satellite engineers?

The demand for satellite engineers is expected to grow in the coming years, as the use of satellite technology continues to expand in various industries. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a 6% growth in employment for aerospace engineers, which includes satellite engineers, between 2018 and 2028.