Cardinality proof by indicating a bijection

In summary, the problem is to prove that the cardinality of the union of two sets, AB and C, is equal to the cardinality of the Cartesian product of AB and AC. This can be done by demonstrating a bijection between the two sets. However, the bijection is only onto if the sets B and C are disjoint. If they are not disjoint, the statement is false for finite sets and depends on the details for infinite sets.
embemilyy

Homework Statement

Prove that |AB[itex]\cup[/itex]C|=|ABx AC| by demonstrating a bijection between the two sets.

Homework Equations

Two sets have equivalent cardinality if there is a bijection between them/

The Attempt at a Solution

Essentially I can prove that there is a function from AB[itex]\cup[/itex]C to ABx AC, defined by <f restricted to B, f restricted to C> but it's only onto if B[itex]\cap[/itex]C=0.

Or I can prove a function the other way but it's only one-to-one if the same condition holds.
Other solutions I've seen online also say that this condition is necessary, but it's not included in the homework question. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
embemilyy said:

Homework Statement

Prove that |AB[itex]\cup[/itex]C|=|ABx AC| by demonstrating a bijection between the two sets.

Homework Equations

Two sets have equivalent cardinality if there is a bijection between them/

Essentially I can prove that there is a function from AB[itex]\cup[/itex]C to ABx AC, defined by <f restricted to B, f restricted to C> but it's only onto if B[itex]\cap[/itex]C=0.

Or I can prove a function the other way but it's only one-to-one if the same condition holds.
Other solutions I've seen online also say that this condition is necessary, but it's not included in the homework question. Any ideas?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

If B and C are not disjoint and all of the sets A, B and C are finite, then the statement is definitely false. If they didn't give you any information about the sets, then you can't prove it. If some of the sets are infinite, then it might be true. It depends on the details.

thanks for responding!
If A, B, and C are infinite, I think the statement holds (just by results of cardinal arithmetic that I've seen in the textbook), but I'm still not able to find a bijection.

embemilyy said:
thanks for responding!
If A, B, and C are infinite, I think the statement holds (just by results of cardinal arithmetic that I've seen in the textbook), but I'm still not able to find a bijection.

You need a bijection between the union of B and C and the 'disjoint union' of B and C. And, yes, if B U C is infinite then its cardinality is the max(card(B),card(C)). Same for the disjoint union, so there's definitely a bijection. But that's just an indirect conclusion. I think to actually write down the bijection easily you need to assume B and C are disjoint. If not, the point is not to write it down but to prove it exists.

Related to Cardinality proof by indicating a bijection

1. What is "Cardinality proof by indicating a bijection"?

"Cardinality proof by indicating a bijection" is a mathematical method used to prove that two sets have the same number of elements, or the same cardinality. It involves finding a one-to-one and onto mapping, or bijection, between the two sets, showing that every element in one set corresponds to exactly one element in the other set.

2. How is a bijection different from other types of functions?

A bijection is a special type of function that is both one-to-one and onto. This means that every element in the domain of the function is mapped to a unique element in the codomain, and every element in the codomain is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. In other words, there are no repeated elements in the output and no elements left out.

3. Why is it important to prove that two sets have the same cardinality?

Proving that two sets have the same cardinality is important because it allows us to compare the sizes of different sets and make conclusions about their properties. It also helps us to understand the concept of infinity and how some infinities can be larger than others.

4. Can a set have a different cardinality than its power set?

No, a set and its power set have different cardinalities. The power set of a set is the set of all its subsets, including the empty set and the set itself. Since each element in the power set corresponds to a unique subset of the original set, the power set has a larger cardinality.

5. What is an example of a bijection used in a real-world context?

An example of a bijection used in a real-world context is the matching of socks in a drawer. Each sock has a unique partner, and every sock has a match. This is a one-to-one and onto mapping, or bijection, between the set of socks and the set of sock pairs.