Car passing a truck — calculating the relative motions

In summary: The truck is ahead of the car by 60m.In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a car and a truck. The question asks for a sketch and equations are discussed. Two quick graphs are provided but deemed insufficient. The car is said to accelerate for 2.8 seconds and travel 70.4 meters before reaching the speed limit of 25m/s. The average speed during the constant acceleration is calculated to be 22.5m/s. The distance covered is found to be 62.55 meters. The relative position of the car and truck at the end of the acceleration is discussed and it is determined that the truck is ahead of
rssvn
Homework Statement
Car drives a straight road at 20m/s, a truck is driving at 18m/s infront of the car. When the car is 50 m behind the truck, it starts to pass the truck with constant acceleration of 1.8m/s^2 until it hits the speedlimit of 25m/s, after that the car continues driving with the speed of 25m/s.
a) How far has the car gone during the acceleration?
b) How far did the car get when the front of the car was next to the front of the truck, start from the beginning of the acceleratoion.
Relevant Equations
vf=vi+at , vf^2=vo^2+2a(xf-xo)
The question was translated from finnish so apologies if everything doesn't make sense:) and please do tell if the equations are wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

Can you make a sketch of the position of each vehicle versus time and upload it? That would help us to get you started on the problem. Use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window to upload a PDF or JPEG copy of your sketch. We need to see your best efforts to start working the problem before we can offer tutorial help. Thanks.

rssvn said:
The question was translated from finnish so apologies if everything doesn't make sense:) and please do tell if the equations are wrong.
The question is clear and makes sense.
The equations look ok, but equations can only really be judged when all the variables are defined and all the assumptions stated.
The test will be in how you apply them. We look forward to seeing that.

Here are 2 quick graphs i made, please let me know if they are not sufficient :)

Attachments

• 0B469C56-44F2-428E-AB07-BC9D5F142168.jpeg
    0B469C56-44F2-428E-AB07-BC9D5F142168.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 107
  • C0FA6E03-B0A6-4DF5-BE0D-3EE61A86E399.jpeg
    C0FA6E03-B0A6-4DF5-BE0D-3EE61A86E399.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 98
rssvn said:
Here are 2 quick graphs i made, please let me know if they are not sufficient :)
I'm not sure those help you very much. The car accelerates for a time, so its distance vs time graph should be curved.

In any case, have you made any progress with the calculations?

Let's start with this piece:
"Car drives a straight road at 20m/s ... constant acceleration of 1.8m/s^2 until it hits the speedlimit of 25m/s."
How long does that take and how far has the car travelled?

2.8 s to reach 25m/s and 90.4m? and thank you all for helping! :)

rssvn said:
2.8s, yes (though I wouid keep a bit more precision at this stage), but how do you get 90.4m?

I meant 70.4 :) i added 1.8 m/s to the initial 20m/s for 2.8 times

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
rssvn said:
I meant 70.4
Still too much. What is the average speed during the constant acceleration?
rssvn said:
i added 1.8 m/s to the initial 20m/s for 2.8 times
I hope what you mean is that you added 1.8m/s2 for time t to the initial 20m/s to get to 25m/s.

haruspex said:
Still too much. What is the average speed during the constant acceleration?

I hope what you mean is that you added 1.8m/s2 for time t to the initial 20m/s to get to 25m/s.
Yes, sorry didnt know how to write it correctly :) and average speed 22.5m/s

rssvn said:
According to my calculator ##5/1.8 = 2.777 \dots##, so I'd use ##t = \frac{25}{9} s##.

rssvn said:
Yes, sorry didnt know how to write it correctly :) and average speed 22.5m/s
Yes, 22.5m/s average for 2.78s. So what distance is covered?

PeroK said:
According to my calculator ##5/1.8 = 2.777 \dots##, so I'd use ##t = \frac{25}{9} s##.
how did you get 25/9?

haruspex said:
Yes, 22.5m/s average for 2.78s. So what distance is covered?
62.55 m

rssvn said:
how did you get 25/9?62.55 m
Yes. But I strongly encourage you to resist plugging in numbers until the end for any given answer. It has many advantages.
E.g. if you had written ##v_f=v_i+at## and ##s=(v_i+v_f)t/2## you would have arrived at ##s=\frac{v_f^2-v_i^2}{2a}=62.5m## exactly.

Next, where is the car in relation to the truck at the end of the acceleration?

haruspex said:
Yes. But I strongly encourage you to resist plugging in numbers until the end for any given answer. It has many advantages.
E.g. if you had written ##v_f=v_i+at## and ##s=(v_i+v_f)t/2## you would have arrived at ##s=\frac{v_f^2-v_i^2}{2a}=62.5m## exactly.

Next, where is the car in relation to the truck at the end of the acceleration?

Ah, i had been counting xo as 50m in the second equation.

the car is at the rear of the truck?

rssvn said:
the car is at the rear of the truck?
There's no reason to suppose that.
You know what the relative positions were at the start of the acceleration, and you know how far the car went during the acceleration and how long that took. So how do you work out the relative position at the end of the acceleration?

rssvn said:
how did you get 25/9?
##5/1.8 = 25/9##

So, I can check your answer for distance:
$$(\frac {25} 9 s) \times (22.5 m/s) = (\frac {25} 9) \times (\frac {45} 2)m = 25 \times (\frac 5 2)m = \frac{125}{2}m = 62.5m$$ With no rounding errors!

Perhaps you don't get taught this sort of thing in schools anymore? In any case, if you put ##22.5 \times 5 / 1.8## into a calculator you'll get an exact answer.

Try using the ##25/9 \ s## or ##5/1.8 \ s## to calculate where the truck is when the car stops accelerating. Is that better than using ##2.78s##?

haruspex said:
There's no reason to suppose that.
You know what the relative positions were at the start of the acceleration, and you know how far the car went during the acceleration and how long that took. So how do you work out the relative position at the end of the acceleration?
if the truck went 50m in 2.78s and the car went 62.55m it must be still behind the truck

PeroK said:
##5/1.8 = 25/9##

So, I can check your answer for distance:
$$(\frac {25} 9 s) \times (22.5 m/s) = (\frac {25} 9) \times (\frac {45} 2)m = 25 \times (\frac 5 2)m = \frac{125}{2}m = 62.5m$$ With no rounding errors!

Perhaps you don't get taught this sort of thing in schools anymore? In any case, if you put ##22.5 \times 5 / 1.8## into a calculator you'll get an exact answer.

Try using the ##25/9 \ s## or ##5/1.8 \ s## to calculate where the truck is when the car stops accelerating. Is that better than using ##2.78s##?
yes, they have been taught but i had completely forgotten about it, it's been a while since I've been around with math this much :)

Likes PeroK
rssvn said:
if the truck went 50m in 2.78s and the car went 62.55m it must be still behind the truck
So, what's the next part of the problem?

And it should be exactly ##62.5m##!

rssvn said:
Right, but how far behind? And given their relative velocities, how long will it take for car to get abreast of the truck?

Likes rssvn
PeroK said:
So, what's the next part of the problem?

And it should be exactly ##62.5m##!
haruspex said:
Right, but how far behind? And given their relative velocities, how long will it take for car to get abreast of the truck?
it's 37.5m behind the truck, but I am sorry to say that i need another tip, i don't understand how can i figure out the exact time when the car is abreast the truck.

rssvn said:
it's 37.5m behind the truck, but I am sorry to say that i need another tip, i don't understand how can i figure out the exact time when the car is abreast the truck.
There are three ways to do it:

1) Intuitively.
2) Using equations of motion
3) By trial and error

For 3) it's like playing a computer game. You move forward 1 second at a time and note the position of the truck and the car and eventually the car must catch the truck.

The point of 3) is that it might give you some idea of which equations are involved. To get you started

t = 0: car = 0m, truck = 37.5m
t = 1: car = 25m, truck = 55.5m

PeroK said:
There are three ways to do it:

1) Intuitively.
2) Using equations of motion
3) By trial and error

For 3) it's like playing a computer game. You move forward 1 second at a time and note the position of the truck and the car and eventually the car must catch the truck.

The point of 3) is that it might give you some idea of which equations are involved. To get you started

t = 0: car = 0m, truck = 37.5m
t = 1: car = 25m, truck = 55.5m
ah yes 125m! i tried to calculate it with 3) but for some reason i was thinking it was a good idea to use the 2.78s time scale to find the right answer and not the 1s which is much much simpler. Can you tell me what would the equations be so solve it? :)

rssvn said:
ah yes 125m! i tried to calculate it with 3) but for some reason i was thinking it was a good idea to use the 2.78s time scale to find the right answer and not the 1s which is much much simpler. Can you tell me what would the equations be so solve it? :)
What you are doing in that trial and error example is plotting the position of the car as: $$x_{car} = 0 + v_{car}t = (25m/s)t$$ and the position of the truck $$x_{truck} = 37.5m + v_{truck}t = 37.5m + (18m/s) t$$ where ##t## is the time from the end of the car's acceleration phase.

The equation you need to solve is $$x_{car} = x_{truck}$$

Likes rssvn
PeroK said:
What you are doing in that trial and error example is plotting the position of the car as: $$x_{car} = 0 + v_{car}t = (25m/s)t$$ and the position of the truck $$x_{truck} = 37.5m + v_{truck}t = 37.5m + (18m/s) t$$ where ##t## is the time from the end of the car's acceleration phase.

I get it now!
And the answers were a) 62.5 and b) 187.5 (125m plus the initial 62.5 that it went during the acceleration)

rssvn said:
I get it now!
And the answers were a) 62.5 and b) 187.5 (125m plus the initial 62.5 that it went during the acceleration)
Except, I don't get ##125m## for the second phase. At ##t = 5s## I get: ##x_{car} = 125m## and ##x_{truck} = 127.5m##. The car still has a little bit of catching up to do.

PeroK said:
Except, I don't get ##125m## for the second phase. At ##t = 5s## I get: ##x_{car} = 125m## and ##x_{truck} = 127.5m##. The car still has a little bit of catching up to do.
Ah, youre right, maybe I'm trying to rush the answer and make silly mistakes like that on the way, t = 5.35s seems to be pretty close, i tried it by trial and error. 5.35s and 133.75m

rssvn said:
Ah, youre right, maybe I'm trying to rush the answer and make silly mistakes like that on the way, t = 5.35s seems to be pretty close, i tried it by trial and error. 5.35s and 133.75m
Trial and error is okay, but you still need to find the right answer. It's better to use the equation now that you understand what's going on.

PeroK said:
Trial and error is okay, but you still need to find the right answer. It's better to use the equation now that you understand what's going on.
What equation should i use if i don't use the trial and error, isn't the equation you gave Xcar = Xtruck basically using trial and error?

rssvn said:
What equation should i use if i don't use the trial and error, isn't the equation you gave Xcar = Xtruck basically using trial and error?
No, because you have:

The position of the car is: $$x_{car} = 0 + v_{car}t = (25m/s)t$$ and the position of the truck $$x_{truck} = 37.5m + v_{truck}t = 37.5m + (18m/s) t$$ where ##t## is the time from the end of the car's acceleration phase.

And, that's not a hard equation! You need to solve for ##t##, of course.

PeroK said:
No, because you have:

The position of the car is: $$x_{car} = 0 + v_{car}t = (25m/s)t$$ and the position of the truck $$x_{truck} = 37.5m + v_{truck}t = 37.5m + (18m/s) t$$ where ##t## is the time from the end of the car's acceleration phase.

And, that's not a hard equation! You need to solve for ##t##, of course.

I'm sorry if I am not understanding, but how can i figure out the t if not by trial and error

rssvn said:
I'm sorry if I am not understanding, but how can i figure out the t if not by trial and error
By using ... mathematics!

rssvn said:
This is standard algebraic manipulation.
Look at @PeroK's equations:
PeroK said:
$$x_{car} = (25m/s)t$$ $$x_{truck} = 37.5m + (18m/s) t$$ $$x_{car} = x_{truck}$$
You can use the third equation to collapse the first two into a single equation involving neither xcar nor xtruck. Can you see how to do that?
This leaves you with an equation in which the only unknown is t.
If you gather all the terms involving t onto one side of the equation and all the terms not involving t onto the other side you can find the value of t.

Likes Lnewqban
haruspex said:
This is standard algebraic manipulation.
Look at @PeroK's equations:

You can use the third equation to collapse the first two into a single equation involving neither xcar nor xtruck. Can you see how to do that?
This leaves you with an equation in which the only unknown is t.
If you gather all the terms involving t onto one side of the equation and all the terms not involving t onto the other side you can find the value of t.

Sorry for taking so long to answer, i understand now, (25m/s)t=37.5m+(18m/s)t -> 25t-18t=37.5m -> 7t=37.5m -> 5.36. Thank you @PeroK and @haruspex for bearing with me, i do appreciate it :)