Car Braking Distance: Calculating Distance to Avoid Collision

In summary, the question asks how close the driver of a car traveling at 29 m/s can come to a slower car traveling at 4 m/s before applying their brakes and still avoid a collision. Using the equations for constant acceleration and velocity, the solution is found to be 195.313 meters, taking into account the extra distance the slower car travels while the faster car is decelerating.
alex81388

Homework Statement

A certain automobile can decelerate at |a1| = 1.6 m/s2. Traveling at a constant v1 = 29 m/s, this car comes up behind a car traveling at a constant v2 = 4 m/s. How close to the slower car can the driver of the faster car come before applying his brakes and still avoid a collision?

Homework Equations

V(final)^2 - V(initial)^2 = 2a(X(final)-X(initial))
X = X(initial) + V[initial]*t + .5(a)(t^2)
V[final] = V[initial] + at

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing we need is to solve for the time needed to for the application of the braking system:

V[final] = V[initial] + at
4 = 29 + (-1.6)(t)
t = 15.625

X = X(initial) + V[initial]*t + .5(a)(t^2)
x = 0 + (29)(15.625) + .5(-1.6)(15.625^2)
x=257.8

So I decided the answer was 257.8 meters. This however is not correct. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn a diagram yet? I think if you did, it would be very helpful.

Also, have you covered frames of reference?

Last edited:
I have not yet covered frames of reference. I tried drawing a diagram and the thought process still makes sense to me.

Actually your diagram did help. Very good Advice.

I realized that as my chasing car was decelerating to the forward car's speed, the forward car was in fact still moving so its extra distance had to be accounted for (or in fact, discounted for).

My answer of 257.813 - 62.5 [the distance the forward car went in 15.625 seconds] = 195.313meters and is correct.

Thank you very much for your help :)

Related to Car Braking Distance: Calculating Distance to Avoid Collision

1. What is car braking distance?

Car braking distance is the distance that a car travels after the brakes are applied before it comes to a complete stop.

2. How is car braking distance calculated?

Car braking distance is calculated using the car's initial speed, the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road, and the deceleration rate of the car.

3. Why is it important to calculate the car braking distance?

Calculating the car braking distance is important because it helps drivers understand how much distance is needed to safely stop their car, especially in emergency situations. This can help prevent collisions and keep everyone on the road safe.

4. What factors can affect car braking distance?

There are several factors that can affect car braking distance, including the condition of the tires, the weight of the car, the road conditions, and the speed of the car. Other factors such as weather, driver reaction time, and the condition of the brakes can also play a role.

5. Can car braking distance be reduced?

Yes, car braking distance can be reduced by maintaining proper tire pressure, keeping a safe distance from other vehicles, and following speed limits. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the condition of the brakes and tires to ensure optimal performance.