Capstan equation, Euler's formula, power law friction

In summary, the conversation discusses two equations for rope friction, one by Jung et al. and one by Liu et al. Both equations have limitations, as they do not accurately represent zero tension in the rope when the incoming force is zero. This issue is due to the equations being numerical approximations and not designed to pass through zero. The suggestion is to use the original exponential Capstan Equation instead.
capstan1
TL;DR Summary
capstan equation, Eulers formula, power law friction, Problem with incoming rope force = 0
Dear colleagues,

I am dealing with rope friction and the so-called Capstan equation.
Situation: A rope wraps around a cylinder with a wrap angle. It depends on the input force.
There are very comprehensive approaches by other colleagues, where the friction value depends on the normal force or pressure.
They are presented in the following publications.

Capstan equation including bending rigidity and non-linear frictional behaviour", Jae Ho Jung, Ning Pan, Taewook Kang, doi: 10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2007.06.002 Equation 11

" Constraint ability of superposed woven fabrics wound on capstan " , Junpeng Liu Murilo Augusto Vaz Anderson Barata Custódio, doi: 10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2016.05.014, equation 8.

both equations have the problem described in the illustrations. If the incoming force becomes 0, then an outgoing force other than 0 will still be output. This is not possible if rope stiffness is neglected.
Symbols for Jung et al.: Incoming force T.1=0 kN. If the wrap angle theta and friction coefficient alpha are large enough, the outcoming force T.2 is already almost 0.8 kN.
Symbols for Liu et al.: Incoming force T.0=0 kN. If the wrap angle theta and friction coefficient a.1 are large enough, T.1 is already almost 3 kN.

Does anyone know the problem?

Best regards

Bastian

Attachments

• Jung power law friction.JPG
    Jung power law friction.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 117
  • Liu.JPG
    Liu.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 124
Engineering news on Phys.org
Those equations (obviously) don't work for negative tension (you can't push a rope). It wouldn't surprise me if the authors state/imply that 'zero' (or effectively zero) tension was also not in the domain of this function.

Dullard said:
Those equations (obviously) don't work for negative tension (you can't push a rope). It wouldn't surprise me if the authors state/imply that 'zero' (or effectively zero) tension was also not in the domain of this function.

Hello, thank you for your quick reply. We may have misunderstood each other. I didn't mean that I want to push the rope. By the way this situation would work with the classical Euler equation.
I was wondering that with the equations at hand, near zero or at zero does not come out zero as with the classical Euler equation. I did not want to reverse the sign of the incoming rope force. Maybe you have an idea for this. Best regards and have a nice evening
Paul

capstan1 said:
Hello, thank you for your quick reply. We may have misunderstood each other. I didn't mean that I want to push the rope. By the way this situation would work with the classical Euler equation.
I was wondering that with the equations at hand, near zero or at zero does not come out zero as with the classical Euler equation. I did not want to reverse the sign of the incoming rope force. Maybe you have an idea for this. Best regards and have a nice evening
Paul
I am referring to the graph. The green plot shows what I mean.
1C2C2362-1C62-451D-80C1-E931563CB41C.png

capstan1 said:
Does anyone know the problem?
The different functions you give by Jung and by Liu appear to be numerical approximations that are not designed to pass through zero. They are special case adaptions for restricted applications.

The Capstan Equation involves the exponential function which is a transcendental function, it transcends simple algebra, yet the approximations employ normal algebra, they are not transcendental.

For those reasons, you should abandon the approximations and revert to the original exponential Capstan Equation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capstan_equation

• Informative
Likes berkeman

Related to Capstan equation, Euler's formula, power law friction

What is the Capstan equation?

The Capstan equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the force applied to a rope or cable wrapped around a cylindrical object and the resulting tension in the rope. It takes into account the radius of the cylinder, the coefficient of friction between the rope and the cylinder, and the angle of wrap of the rope around the cylinder.

What is Euler's formula?

Euler's formula, also known as the Euler identity, is a mathematical equation that relates the exponential function to trigonometric functions. It states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is any real number. This formula has important applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

What is power law friction?

Power law friction is a type of frictional force that follows a power law relationship with respect to the velocity of an object. This means that as the velocity increases, the frictional force also increases, but at a decreasing rate. This type of friction is commonly observed in fluids, such as air resistance, and can be described by the equation F = kv^n, where F is the frictional force, k is a constant, and n is the exponent that determines the relationship between velocity and friction.

What are some real-world applications of the Capstan equation?

The Capstan equation has many practical applications, including in the design of pulley systems, winches, and cranes. It is also used in the analysis of tension in cables and ropes used in construction, rock climbing, and sailing. Additionally, the Capstan equation is important in understanding the mechanics of biological systems, such as the movement of tendons and muscles in the human body.

How is Euler's formula used in engineering?

Euler's formula has various applications in engineering, such as in the analysis of alternating current circuits and in the design of electrical filters. It is also used in signal processing to convert signals between time and frequency domains. In addition, Euler's formula is used in the study of vibrations and oscillations, which are important in many engineering fields, including mechanical, electrical, and civil engineering.