Capillary action meniscus height in a tube fitted inside another tube?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of capillary action in tubes, specifically comparing the behavior in a single tube versus a tube fitted inside another tube. The height of the liquid column is determined by various factors such as liquid-air surface tension, contact angle, density of liquid, gravity acceleration, and radius of the tube. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using beads to improve the column height, and how Jurin's law may change in these scenarios. The results for the column height in example #2 and #3, assuming a radius of 1mm, are also requested.
Alfred1
Hello,

I was thinking about how would capillary action change in a tube (classic example) and in a tube fitted inside another tube (considering water as the liquid involved).

This is no homework question, it's just a thought which striked my mind but I don't have sufficient basic knowledge to solve. Feel free to move it if you think it may be more appropriate there or it gets more chances to get answered.

Height of liquid column:
0B7TY1g.png

where:

γ = liquid-air surface tension
θ = contact angle
ρ = density of liquid
g = gravity acceleration
r = radius

I tried my best to draw the examples I'm interested in order to help my explanation.

I didn't consider the capillarity inside the smaller tube in both example #2 and #3 because I'd like to assume that "a/2" in example #1 is close to "c" in example #2 and #3 (drawings not to scale).

vFvKqNB.png

Since from what I understand the column height is given, among other things (most of which can't be changed, like liquid-air surface tension, contact angle, density of liquid and gravity acceleration), by the tube radius, I'd like to know if "c" in example #2 can be considered as "a/2" in example #1 to calculate column height using above formula.

Also I'd like to know how having beads of slightly smaller diameter than "c" between the two tubes (example #3) would affect the column height.

If said beads were less dense than water, could they still improve column height or would they just form a floating mat on top of 1 unit thickness?

What'd be the column height of example #2 and #3 assuming "c" as 1mm ?

I'm quite sure that given the same reached height "h" in example #2 and #3, "c" of #2 has to be smaller than "c" in #3.

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Alfred1 said:
Height of liquid column:
0B7TY1g.png

where:

γ = liquid-air surface tension
θ = contact angle
ρ = density of liquid
g = gravity acceleration
r = radius

Here is an interesting point on this:
http://www.lps.ens.fr/~balibar/Caupin-EPL08.pdf
It has already been seen experimentally that the capillary
rise in small (wetting) pores exceeds the prediction
from Jurin’s law [3]. Such behavior is understood to arise
from the fact that a wetting film reduces the effective value
of R, the radius of curvature of the meniscus [3].

Alfred1 said:
If said beads were less dense than water, could they still improve column height or would they just form a floating mat on top of 1 unit thickness?
Maybe if the beads would stick to the walls and transfer vertical forces to it.

A.T. said:
Here is an interesting point on this:
http://www.lps.ens.fr/~balibar/Caupin-EPL08.pdf

Maybe if the beads would stick to the walls and transfer vertical forces to it.

Thanks for your reply :)

Do you know how'd Jurin's law change according to example #2 and #3 ?

What'd be the column height of example #2 and #3 assuming "c" as 1mm ?

Slightly guessed results would still be better than nothing since I lack the basics to guess this myself.

Thank you all

Related to Capillary action meniscus height in a tube fitted inside another tube?

What is capillary action?

Capillary action is the movement of liquid along the surface of a solid due to the adhesive and cohesive forces between the liquid and the solid. It is responsible for the rise or fall of liquids in narrow tubes.

How does capillary action affect the meniscus height in a tube?

Capillary action causes the liquid in a narrow tube to rise or fall, depending on the relative strengths of the adhesive and cohesive forces. This results in a curved meniscus at the surface of the liquid, with the height of the meniscus depending on the properties of the liquid and the tube.

What factors affect the height of the meniscus in a tube?

The height of the meniscus is affected by the properties of the liquid, such as its surface tension, viscosity, and density, as well as the diameter and material of the tube. The angle of the tube also plays a role in determining the meniscus height.

How does the diameter of the tubes affect capillary action and meniscus height?

The smaller the diameter of the tube, the higher the meniscus will be due to the increased surface tension and adhesive forces acting on the liquid. This is because there is a larger surface area of the tube for the liquid to adhere to.

Can capillary action and meniscus height be used to measure the surface tension of a liquid?

Yes, the height of the meniscus can be used to calculate the surface tension of a liquid, as it is directly related to the adhesive and cohesive forces between the liquid and the tube. By measuring the meniscus height in different tubes, the surface tension of a liquid can be determined.