Capacitor negative charge question

In summary, In part a, the two capacitors are charged with a negative voltage. The voltage on each capacitor is then added together, giving a total of 133 μC. In part b, the equation is not justified. Part c is correct.
Jamessamuel

Homework Statement

(See image)

2. Homework Equations

C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a took a while but I now understand that the electrons gather on the right plate of the 2μF capacitor and on the right plate of the 4μF capacitor. This imparts a negative charge of 133μC on each capacitor.

Part b is where I cannot justify the answer. The charge should flow to equalise the pd's, that's All I know.

Part c is fine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 438
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
Jamessamuel said:

Homework Statement

(See image)

2. Homework Equations

C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a took a while but I now understand that the electrons gather on the right plate of the 2μF capacitor and on the right plate of the 4μF capacitor. This imparts a negative charge of 133μC on each capacitor.

Part b is where I cannot justify the answer. The charge should flow to equalise the pd's, that's All I know.

Part c is fine.
Your idea for part b is correct..But here the voltage polarities of the capacitors will be additive (since they were charged serially). So when the current will flow, voltages of both the capacitors will reduce..when would they be equal?? Use your idea..

I believe that the voltages will reduce because energy will be lost across the resistor. As voltage is charge per unit capacitance, the capacitor with twice the size will store twice as much as the other. And so on that basis, roughky 88 micro C will end up with the largest capacitor and 44 on the smallest. In order to achieve this, 44 micro C must flow clockwise from the largest to the smallest capacitor.

cnh1995 said:
The lower voltage capacitor will drop to 0V first and discharging will continue till the second one drops to 0V.

Err how does that work? They are in series. If charge continues to flow after one has reached 0V it will become charged with the opposite polarity.

Part A

100V is applied. Same charge flows through both capacitors until the combined voltage = 100V

Q = C1V1 = C2V2 ...(1)

V1+V2 = 100 ......(2)
or
V1 = 100 - V2

Substitute for V1 in (1)

C1 * (100 - V2) = C2V2
Rearranging, substituting values and solving gives...

V2 = 66.667V (voltage on the 2μF)
V1 = 33.333V (voltage on the 4μF)
and then
Q = 133μC

Part B

The same charge (133μC) flows out of both capacitors and through the resistor because they are all in series. Both caps reach 0V at the same time.
Part C

What was your answer?
PS: If in any doubt why not replace the two caps with the equivalent single capacitor before you start answering Part A. It makes the calculations a lot simpler :-)

Equivalent single cap has value...

1/(1/2+1/4) = 1.333μF

Q = VC
=100V * 1.333μF
= 133.333μC (same as before)

Last edited:
So all the charge stored (133 μC) will be lost (by capacitors) in the form of current and capacitors will be completely de-energized..

Last edited:
Yes. Try redrawing the circuit with the two caps replaced by one equivalent capacitor.

Related to Capacitor negative charge question

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor become negatively charged?

A capacitor becomes negatively charged when electrons from a power source flow onto one of the plates, leaving the other plate with a positive charge. This creates an electric field between the plates, storing electrical energy.

3. What is the purpose of a negative charge on a capacitor?

The negative charge on a capacitor allows it to store electrical energy and release it when needed. This makes capacitors useful in a variety of electronic circuits, such as in filters, power supplies, and timing circuits.

4. How is a capacitor's negative charge measured?

A capacitor's negative charge is measured in coulombs (C) or microcoulombs (μC). This is the amount of negative charge that has accumulated on one of the plates of the capacitor.

5. Can a capacitor's negative charge be removed?

Yes, a capacitor's negative charge can be removed by connecting the two plates with a resistor, which allows the excess electrons to flow back to the power source. This process is known as discharging the capacitor.