Capacitor charge - LRC series circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a series of circuit exercises involving differential equations. The first exercise asks for the time of capacitor charge while the others involve various aspects of the circuit such as maximum charge, steady state current, and current/charge equations. The homework problem involves finding the charge on a capacitor in an LRC series circuit at a specific time, given values for L, R, C, E(t), q(0), and i(0). The correct differential equation to use is discussed, and the attempt at solving it using the method of undetermined coefficients is explained. The person realizes that there is more to the exercise and is unsure if they are going in the right direction, but they have not yet answered the question.
america8371
In differential equations I was assigned a few circuit exercises. I'm having trouble understanding them, but I'm pretty sure that if can understand the first one then I can get the rest of them. The first exercise asks for time of capacitor charge and the others ask for things like capacitor maximum charge, steady state current, current/charge equations, etc.

Homework Statement

Find the charge on the capacitor in an LRC series circuit at t=0.01s when L=0.05h, R=2[tex]\Omega[/tex], C=0.01f, E(t)=0V, q(0)=5C, and i(0)=0A. Determine the first time at which the charge on the capacitor is equal to zero. Please give answer to four decimal places.

a. t = 0.5095s
b. t = 0.9595s
c. t = 0.0509s
d. t = 0.5959s
e. t = 0.9059s

Homework Equations

I'm not too sure but i think the correct diff. eq. to use is

L [tex]\frac{d^{2}q}{dt^{2}}[/tex]+R [tex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex]+ [tex]\frac{1}{C}[/tex] q = e(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to solve it by method of undetermined coefficients.

q''+40q'+2000q=0

r[tex]^{2}[/tex]+40r+2000=0 r=-20[tex]\pm[/tex]40i

q[tex]_{p}[/tex](t) = Ae[tex]^{-20t}[/tex]cos 40t + Be[tex]^{-20t}[/tex]sin 40t

etc.

It feels like I'm going in the wrong direction because it seem like there's more to this exercise than just solving the diff. eq.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, yes, there is more! But you are going in exactly the right direction. You just haven't yet answered the question! You are told that q(0)=5C, and i(0)= q'(0)= 0A. That let's you find A and B. And then you need to determine the value of t such that qp(t)= 0.

Related to Capacitor charge - LRC series circuit

1. What is a capacitor charge?

A capacitor charge is the amount of electrical energy stored in a capacitor, which is a passive electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It is measured in units of coulombs (C) or Farads (F).

2. What is an LRC series circuit?

An LRC series circuit is a type of electrical circuit that includes a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is used to demonstrate the relationships between voltage, current, and frequency in an alternating current (AC) circuit.

3. How does a capacitor charge in an LRC series circuit?

In an LRC series circuit, the capacitor charges by accumulating an electrical charge on its plates as the current flows through the circuit. As the capacitor charges, its voltage increases, and the current decreases until it reaches its maximum charge and voltage.

4. What is the effect of a capacitor on the overall circuit in an LRC series circuit?

The capacitor in an LRC series circuit affects the overall circuit by storing energy and then releasing it back into the circuit. It also affects the frequency of the circuit as it can store and release energy at different rates depending on its capacitance.

5. How does the capacitor charge affect the behavior of the circuit in an LRC series circuit?

The capacitor charge affects the behavior of the circuit in an LRC series circuit by introducing a phase difference between the voltage and current. This phase difference can lead to changes in the resonance frequency and the amount of energy dissipated in the circuit.