Cantilever Trianlge Truss Design

In summary: Therefore, the forces in these chords should be equal. Overall, your solution using the graphical method is correct and you can also solve it mathematically using the equations of equilibrium.
caseyvoigt
1. I am an architecture student and the assignment is to design a truss, set up the problem and solve it using graphic statics. I think I did it correctly using the graphical method but I am interested in solving it mathematically. Did I set the problem up correctly in my diagram and if so, where do I go from here? I know that if this was just a simple overhang, I would not need the members AD and BD but the top chord is supporting joists so I thought the chords AD and BD were necessary.

2. [tex]\sum[/tex]m=0
[tex]\sum[/tex]Fv=0
[tex]\sum[/tex]Fh=0
m=moments
v=vertical
h=horizontal

3. I Just used sum or forces in vertical and horizontal I removed chord AD because I realized it did not do anything. The new link Shows my work. I am concerned because I feel like the top chords (a,b and a,c) ahould not be equal for some reason but it does make sense that they are too. Did I do this problem correctly?

MY WORK

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m490/caseyvoigt/TrussBwithwork.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you have set up the problem correctly in your diagram and you can solve it mathematically by using the equations of equilibrium. The equations are: \sumFv=0 \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \sumFh=0 \summ=0where Fv is the sum of vertical forces, Fh is the sum of horizontal forces, and m is the sum of moments. You can then use these equations to determine the forces in each member of the truss. For example, for the top chord (AB) you can use the equation of equilibrium to determine the force in AB by setting up two equations: FAB = FBC + FCA mAB = -FCA*hAB + FBC*hBC where hAB and hBC are the distances from the supports to the nodes A and B respectively. You can then solve for both FAB and FBC by solving these two equations simultaneously. Once you have determined all the forces in each member, you can then verify that the forces in the members are equal to the loads applied on the system. Yes, you did set up the problem correctly. The top chords (AB, BC, and AC) should all be equal because they are connected to the same joists and support the same loads.

Related to Cantilever Trianlge Truss Design

What is a cantilever triangle truss design?

A cantilever triangle truss design is a structural engineering technique that uses triangular shapes to distribute weight and forces evenly throughout a structure, while also allowing for overhanging sections that are unsupported by columns or beams.

What are the advantages of using a cantilever triangle truss design?

The advantages of using a cantilever triangle truss design include its ability to support heavy loads, its durability and stability, its efficient use of materials, and its aesthetic appeal. Additionally, this design allows for longer spans without the need for additional support columns or beams.

What factors should be considered when designing a cantilever triangle truss?

When designing a cantilever triangle truss, factors such as the type and amount of weight to be supported, the desired span length, the available materials, and the environmental conditions must be taken into account. It is also important to consider the structural integrity and safety of the design.

What are some common applications of cantilever triangle truss designs?

Cantilever triangle truss designs are commonly used in bridges, roofs, and other large structures that require a strong and stable support system. They are also often used in sculptures and other architectural elements for their aesthetic appeal.

What are the limitations of cantilever triangle truss designs?

While cantilever triangle truss designs have many advantages, they also have some limitations. These include the need for careful and precise engineering calculations, the potential for uneven weight distribution if not properly designed, and the potential for damage or failure if not maintained properly.