Can't understand solution by substitution, any help?

In summary, by using the substitution of y = g(x,u), where u = y/x, a homogeneous function of degree α can be rewritten as a product of two one-variable functions, making the given differential equation easier to solve. This substitution simplifies the calculation and allows for easier separation of variables in the equation.
MarcL
So I just started my DE class and I'm kinda stuck on solutions by substitutions. My book explains it as just having a homogeneous function of degree α, we can also write M(x,y) = xαM(1,u) and N(x,y) = xα (1,u) where u = y/x

I don't understand how the substitution simplifies our life ( there's no proof in my book , it just says that a function can have y = g(x,u) and replace g(x,u) in f(x,y)). To me it seems more complicated than anything.

Secondly, how do I find my xα. I tried doing many examples, but without success I never get the correct coefficient, so there is something I'm not understand. I just have to factor out the highest degree of x, no?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
MarcL said:
So I just started my DE class and I'm kinda stuck on solutions by substitutions. My book explains it as just having a homogeneous function of degree α, we can also write M(x,y) = xαM(1,u) and N(x,y) = xα (1,u) where u = y/x

I don't understand how the substitution simplifies our life ( there's no proof in my book , it just says that a function can have y = g(x,u) and replace g(x,u) in f(x,y)). To me it seems more complicated than anything.

Secondly, how do I find my xα. I tried doing many examples, but without success I never get the correct coefficient, so there is something I'm not understand. I just have to factor out the highest degree of x, no?

Your question gives so little context that's it will have to be answered by someone who knows the background so well he knows what you are not saying.

But I can say that if you have a formula in two variables, if it is homogeneous you can extract xα (or yα) and be able.e to work with a formula in one variable. You might find one easier to deal with than two, no?

(In algebra quite often the opposite is done. A one-variable polynomial is changed into a two-variable homogeneous one because you get a. more convenient-to-work-with symmetry.)

Last edited:
I don't understand how the substitution simplifies [the calculation]
Try it and see.

MarcL said:

You don't have to find ##\alpha##. The point of the substitution is that it always makes the given DE separable. There are lots of resources and examples on the net. Here's one, for example:
http://www.cliffsnotes.com/math/differential-equations/first-order-equations/first-order-homogeneous-equations

Late reply but yeah, there are a lot of ressources' however, sometimes it is nice to hear a "explain like I'm 5 " version. but thank you!

This allows us to write the functions of two variables as products of two one variable functions which is much easier.
You do not show the equation, so I assume a usual one.

M(x,y) dx+N(x,y) dy=0
using
M(x,y) = xαM(1,y/x)
N(x,y) = xαN(1,y/x)
dy=d(x y/x)=(y/x)dx+x d(y/x)
we have
M(x,y) dx+N(x,y) dy=0
xαM(1,y/x) dx+xαN(1,y/x) [(y/x)dx+x d(y/x)]=0
dx/x+N(1,y/x)/[M(1,y/x)+N(1,y/x)] d(y/x)=0
which is separated

Related to Can't understand solution by substitution, any help?

1. Why is substitution used in solving equations?

Substitution is used in solving equations because it allows us to replace a variable with an equivalent expression, making the equation easier to solve. This method is particularly useful when dealing with complex equations or multiple variables.

2. How do I know when to use substitution?

You can use substitution when an equation has two or more variables and one of the variables can be expressed in terms of the other. This means that one variable can be substituted with the equivalent expression, making the equation solvable.

3. I am having difficulty understanding the concept of substitution. Can you explain it in simpler terms?

Substitution is essentially replacing one thing with another equivalent thing. In the context of solving equations, it means replacing a variable with an equivalent expression to make the equation easier to solve.

4. What are the benefits of using substitution in solving equations?

Substitution allows us to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve. It also helps us to find the value of variables that cannot be solved using other methods, such as elimination or graphing.

5. Can you provide an example of solving an equation using substitution?

Sure, let's say we have the equation 3x + y = 10 and we want to solve for x. We can rearrange the equation to express y in terms of x: y = 10 - 3x. Then, we can substitute this expression for y into the original equation, giving us 3x + (10 - 3x) = 10. We can then solve for x: 3x - 3x = 10 - 10, which simplifies to 0 = 0. This means that any value of x will satisfy the original equation, making it infinite solutions.