Cant understand similar proof Quantum numbers from PDE (pdf attachment)

In summary: The solutions form a vector space.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between n, l, and m in obtaining quantum numbers, as well as the notation used for real numbers in the solutions. The use of sinh and cosh solutions in equation 1.28 is explained through the application of the superposition principle and the linearity of the equation.
mohsin031211
I believe that this is similar to the proof of schrodinger equation to obtain quantum numbers, however i cannot seem to understand the relationship between n, l and m:

I have attached a pdf file on partial differential equations and on page 5, i cannot seem to understand why it is +n^2 and l,m are negative?

Also, on page 6 it states 'Hence the sumis also a solution. Note ℓ and m do not have to be integers and so
the above need not be a discrete sum. Also note that if ℓ → 0, cosine is replaced
by 1 and sine by x.' why is sine replaced by x, shouldn't it disappear as it equals to 0 rather than being replaced by x?

My final query is about equation 1.28, how the superposition principle is applied? Does it just form linear equations of the solutions and why is the solution for equation 1.27 cosh and sinh whereas for the rest it isn't?

Thank you so much in advance , whoever can clear this for me

Attachments

• PDE.pdf
    83.6 KB · Views: 262
Physics news on Phys.org
mohsin031211 said:
I have attached a pdf file on partial differential equations and on page 5, i cannot seem to understand why it is +n^2 and l,m are negative?
He knows that [itex]X''(x)/X(x)[/itex] is equal to some real number for all x, so he needs to pick a notation for that number. He chooses [itex]-l^2[/itex] because it makes the solutions look nice: [itex]\cos lx[/itex] and [itex]\sin lx[/itex].

He knows that each term of (1.20) is a real number, and that they add up to 0. So they can't all have the same sign. He's showing you how to proceed if the first two happen to be non-positive and the third non-negative. That's why the Z equation has sinh and cosh solutions instead of sin and cos solutions.

mohsin031211 said:
Also note that if ℓ → 0, cosine is replaced
by 1 and sine by x.' why is sine replaced by x, shouldn't it disappear as it equals to 0 rather than being replaced by x?
I don't see what that limit has to do with anything, but 1 and x are the first-order approximations of cos x and sin x respectively. Recall that f(x)=f(0)+xf'(0)+... But maybe he's not talking about that at all. If you just set l=0 in (1.21), the X equation becomes X''(x)=0. It has x and 1 as solutions (actually, any first-degree polynomial). Maybe that's what he meant.

mohsin031211 said:
My final query is about equation 1.28, how the superposition principle is applied? Does it just form linear equations of the solutions and why is the solution for equation 1.27 cosh and sinh whereas for the rest it isn't?
The superposition principle is the idea that if f and g are solutions, then so is af+bg where a and b are real numbers. I don't like calling it a "principle", because it follows from the fact that we're dealing with linear equations. Consider [itex]X''(x)+l^2X(x)=0[/itex]. If we denote the operator that takes a function to its derivative by D, then the equation can be written as [itex](D^2+l^2)X=0[/itex]. The operator [itex]D^2+l^2[/itex] is clearly linear. So if [itex](D^2+l^2)f=0[/itex] and [itex](D^2+l^2)g=0[/itex], then [itex](D^2+l^2)(af+bg)=a(D^2+l^2)f+b(D^2+l^2)g=0[/itex].

Related to Cant understand similar proof Quantum numbers from PDE (pdf attachment)

1. What are Quantum Numbers in relation to PDE?

Quantum numbers are a set of values used to describe the properties of particles in a quantum mechanical system, specifically in the context of solving the Schrödinger equation for a particle in a potential. In PDE (partial differential equations), quantum numbers are used to describe the energy and spatial distribution of a particle.

2. How are Quantum Numbers related to the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the evolution of a particle over time. Quantum numbers are used to solve the Schrödinger equation and determine the energy levels and spatial distribution of a particle in a given potential.

3. Why is understanding Quantum Numbers important in PDE?

Quantum numbers are essential in PDE because they provide a mathematical framework for solving the Schrödinger equation and understanding the behavior of particles in a quantum mechanical system. They allow us to make predictions about the energy and spatial distribution of particles, which has significant implications in fields such as atomic and molecular physics and materials science.

4. How do Quantum Numbers differ from classical numbers?

Quantum numbers differ from classical numbers in that they are discrete and can only take on certain values, rather than being continuous. In addition, quantum numbers describe properties of particles in a quantum mechanical system, whereas classical numbers describe properties of macroscopic objects in classical mechanics.

5. Can you provide an example of Quantum Numbers in PDE?

One example of Quantum Numbers in PDE is the quantum numbers used to describe electrons in an atom. These include the principal quantum number, which determines the energy level of the electron, and the orbital quantum number, which describes the shape of the electron's orbital. These quantum numbers are used to solve the Schrödinger equation and determine the energy levels and spatial distribution of electrons in an atom.