Can't Figure Out This Integral? Let's Help Each Other!

In summary, the conversation discusses a challenging integral problem involving series expansion and a possible solution involving a substitution and manipulation of the integral. The problem is from an old Putnam exam and can be found through a simple Google search.
FeynmanIsCool
Hello everyone,

I brushing up on integration techniques and I came across this problem in a book. Does anyone here know were to start? Even Wolfram blanked on it!

[itex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi }{2}}\, \frac{1}{1+(tanx)^{\sqrt 2}} dx[/itex]

This integral appeared in the book before sequences and series, so the book did not intend to use any type of series expansion.

Let me know!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an integral from one of the old putnams, if you google around you can probably find it.

Consider the substitution of [tex] \frac{\pi}{2} - x [/tex] into [tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{1+tan^{\sqrt(2)}(x)}[/tex] This gives [tex] f(π/2 - x) = 1-f(x) [/tex] Now, break the integral up into two parts, one from 0 to pi/4 and the other from pi/4 to pi/2 and manipulate the second integral using the above identity.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks for the reply,

You're right, I found the answer quickly after a google search. Very interesting integral!

Related to Can't Figure Out This Integral? Let's Help Each Other!

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. How do I solve an integral?

Solving an integral involves using various methods such as integration by parts, substitution, or trigonometric identities. It also requires knowledge of basic algebra and calculus principles.

3. What do I do if I can't figure out an integral?

If you are struggling to solve an integral, you can try using online resources, asking for help from a tutor or classmate, or breaking down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. How can I check if my integral is correct?

You can check if your integral is correct by using an online integral calculator or by using the fundamental theorem of calculus to take the derivative of your integral and see if it matches the original function.

5. Can I solve an integral without using calculus?

No, integrals require knowledge of calculus principles to solve. However, there are some basic integrals that can be solved without using calculus, such as integrals of constant functions or simple polynomial functions.