Canonical Momenta Action Electromagnetism

In summary, the conversation is about constructing the canonical momenta πμ from the given action in a course on classical field theory. The process involves splitting index summations and using functional or variational derivatives. The participants also discuss the limitations of this method and suggest doing further research and calculations.
Yoran91
Hi everyone,

In one of the assignments in a course on classical field theory I'm given the action
[itex]S = \int d^4 x \mathcal{L}[/itex]

where
[itex] \mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{16\pi} F_{\mu \nu} F^{\mu \nu} - A_{\mu}j^{\mu}[/itex].

I'm now supposed to construct the canonical momenta [itex]\pi_\mu = \frac{\delta S}{\delta \dot{A}^{\mu}} [/itex],

but I have no idea how to. Is there any way to do this without loads and loads of algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean πk. Canonical quantization is a 3+1 dimensional approach and πk is a 3-d variable. What you need to do is split all the index summations into 0 along with a sum over k. Then you'll see Ak,0 explicitly, making it easy to take the derivative.

I don't see other way to do it rather than brute force calculation using:

[tex] \frac{\partial\left(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}\right)}{ \partial\left(\partial_{0}A_{\sigma}\right)} = \delta_{\mu}^{0} \delta_{\nu}^{\sigma} [/tex]

I guess I don't understand how to compute the variational derivative here, can anyone explain?

Yoran91 said:
I guess I don't understand how to compute the variational derivative here, can anyone explain?
The functional derivative or variational derivative is the same thing you do when deriving the Euler-Lagrange equations. See Wikipedia. (I'm limiting my comments because you say this is an assignment. You need to work some of this out for yourself!)

Last edited:

Related to Canonical Momenta Action Electromagnetism

1. What is canonical momenta action in electromagnetism?

Canonical momenta action in electromagnetism is a mathematical framework used to describe the dynamics of charged particles in an electromagnetic field. It involves the use of Hamiltonian mechanics and is based on the principle of least action, where the motion of a particle is determined by minimizing the action integral.

2. How is canonical momenta action related to classical mechanics?

Canonical momenta action is a generalization of classical mechanics, where it includes the effects of an electromagnetic field on the motion of charged particles. It is based on the same principles of Hamiltonian mechanics, but takes into account the additional forces and energies associated with the electromagnetic field.

3. What is the significance of canonical momenta action in electromagnetism?

Canonical momenta action is important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields, which is crucial in many areas of physics, such as particle physics, astrophysics, and materials science. It allows for the accurate prediction of particle trajectories and the calculation of energy and momentum transfer in electromagnetic interactions.

4. What are some applications of canonical momenta action in electromagnetism?

Canonical momenta action has various applications in different fields of physics. In particle accelerators, it is used to design and optimize the trajectories of particles, while in astrophysics, it helps in understanding the behavior of charged particles in space. It is also used in the study of materials, such as semiconductors and superconductors.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of canonical momenta action in electromagnetism?

Like any mathematical framework, there are limitations to the use of canonical momenta action in electromagnetism. It is based on classical mechanics, which does not fully describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also assumes that the particle's motion is continuous, which may not always be the case in certain systems. Therefore, it is important to use caution and consider other factors when applying this framework to real-world situations.